DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
aiminspects2001 is on a distinguished road
Angry This seems wrong

I had my 18 year old daughter in my truck yesterday. She was upset and decided that she was going to jump out of the truck while I was driving at about 45 miles per hour! She was in the front passenger seat. I know that my door locks lock automatically. Why the hell can you open the door while in gear and moving? I was able to grab her arm and keep her inside, but I nearly had a heart attack.

Can anybody tell me if the doors can be made to stay locked and not open from the inside while moving?
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 RAM CC SPORT
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1981-1987 225ci (3.7L) Slant-6 95hp
Rep:34
Frank Drebin is on a distinguished road

The back doors on my 03 had a little switch that made em child proof, like a cop car. Whether it was locked or not, you couldn't get out from the inside.

I don't think the front doors have the same option.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:34 PM
erm

You should have, on the master switch on your side, a door lock "lockout" button that disables all but your lock.

And I am sorry to see your daughter is having problems. I hope she can get some help and work through the issues. She has a lot of living ahead of her if she can just see the good.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i know that the rear doors can be made child proof, though i don't know what buttons have to be pushed

on the Chrysler cars, The option for the auto-unlock is in fact in the EVIC menu
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-19-2011, 06:42 PM
erm

It's the same on the new trucks, GT. But even in auto lock, you can still open the door from inside. Asinine but that's how it is.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:27 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

I know the back doors on my crew stay locked until someone up front opens the door or hits the button. Unfortunately the passenger front does not have the same option. I'd like it as I could keep the wife locked in the truck instead of running into home decor stores and blowing my mod money!

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:44 PM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM CC SPORT
Engine: 1981-1987 225ci (3.7L) Slant-6 95hp
Rep:34
Frank Drebin is on a distinguished road

While I agree an 18 year old shouldn't need mechanical protection from opening a door in a moving vehicle, the child safety locks were put in for that very reason, so a kid wouldn't fly out of a moving vehicle. I don't know the history if a kid actually did fly out, but it certainly would give parents peace of mind knowing that they physically can't get out from the inside.

Last edited by erm; 06-20-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Just a little thread cleanup...
Old 06-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

The backdoors of my girlfriends dad's 09 stay locked untill they are physically unlocked and not just when the handle is pulled, it drives me nuts.
Getting back on topic I don't know of any way other then not letting her ride in the passenger seat of the truck.

Last edited by erm; 06-20-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Just a little thread cleanup...
Old 06-19-2011, 10:27 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Rep:167
rtkman has a spectacular aura aboutrtkman has a spectacular aura about

I don't think there is a way. Really if someone wants to get out pulling the lock up before opening the handle isnt going to slow them down much.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:12 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
LeKy411 will become famous soon enoughLeKy411 will become famous soon enough

The locks on the new rams are designed similar to those on the older Grand Cherokees. The EVIC controls if you want your doors to lock once you reach a certain speed somewhere around 10-15MPH.

The only thing with this system is that the rear doors remain locked even if the person in the back pulls the door handle. This was basically a design similar to child safety locks. So that children wouldn't be able to pull the door handle before the parent did. The problem is that the two front doors even if locked are overridden the minute someone pulls the handle. This is a mechanical thing. So if the passenger pulls their door handle the lock opens. On the driver side if the driver pulls the handle all the doors unlock.

The system was designed with the assumption that small children should not be sitting in the front because of airbags and the fear of them pulling the handle was not thought off. The whole thing is designed in an assinine way in my opinion because its part safety and part convenience.

I am sure you can get in the door and disable the rod that goes into the interior handle. This way even if someone pulls the handle the door will not open, but then you would always have to open it for them from the outside. I would think there might be a way to disable the handle from releasing the lock automatically and only working as a door handle if you disengage the lock as the driver. I think it would take some modding to make this work. Good luck.