DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deepwater Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Flot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiminspects2001 View Post
Why the hell can you open the door while in gear and moving? I was able to grab her arm and keep her inside, but I nearly had a heart attack.

Can anybody tell me if the doors can be made to stay locked and not open from the inside while moving?
1) This is how cars have been made since 1912. While I am sympathetic to your situation, I am frankly astounded at the number of people who were surprised at this.

2) If you actually want to make it impossible to open the door from the inside EVER (which in a normal situation is more dangerous than the alternative) then it could certainly be done. Disconnecting the inside handle would be a 30 min job for any competant mechanic.

If you wanted to make it impossible to open the door from the inside while it is locked, this again is probably possible but would take a bit more effort. As noted the issue is that many doors "unlock" when you pull on the door handle.

Child safety locks are just that, for child safety, and they're on the back seats and intended to stop SMALL children from accidentally unlocking the rear doors.
Sponsored links
Old 06-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 1500 SLT Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:177
Whiplash has a spectacular aura aboutWhiplash has a spectacular aura about

do you still crank yours over by hand too? these days (a hundred years later) all you have to do is turn a key
technology has allowed mankind to implement some pretty good ideas over the years, a lot having to do occupant safety. imo no door should be able to be opened while the vehicle is in anything other than park. why anyone would need to open a door at anything higher than 0mph is what astounds me. accidents happen (a purse snagging the handle while the wife is reaching for it for example)...it makes more sense to have it as a standard than not even being offered as an option
Old 06-24-2011, 06:35 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:53
Wayne084 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
imo no door should be able to be opened while the vehicle is in anything other than park. why anyone would need to open a door at anything higher than 0mph is what astounds me.
I have to disagree with that. Obviously most motor vehicle accidents happen in gear. So if the driver is unconscious, the passenger would have to put their foot on the break and shift it into park to get the door open? That sounds pretty rough in an emergency situation. While I can sympathize with the OP's concerns, I think there are more dangers with locking the passenger in (with the exception of his situation). As a general rule, most people sitting in the front seat with their seatbelt on are responsible enough to handle the freedom of being able to open the front door at will.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 SLT Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:177
Whiplash has a spectacular aura aboutWhiplash has a spectacular aura about

true enuf Wayne..i can agree with what ur saying regarding the accident situation
perhaps a wheel rotation sensor? it's there anyway for traction control

not trying to disagree or argue with anyone, i just know there has to be a better solution for the OP than leaving his daughter stuck with the back seat... i think self-esteem and normalcy are important
Old 06-25-2011, 01:35 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:11
Gene K is on a distinguished road

I would think allowing the front door to be disabled in this manner would be a safety hazard. If your wife borrowed your truck to go to Lowes and got carjacked wouldnt you want her to have the option of bailing. Even if it meant some road rash from a 15 mph dismount.

As to the back seat, thats the safest place for kids to ride. You get treated like an adult when you act like one.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

We know it's possible to make a door so it can't be opened from the insides so it's not a technical issue. It could be a liability issue but I'm sure the manufacturers could come up with a system that addresses accidents and carjackings etc. I believe it's a cost issue. The OP's situation is very unique and I'm sure he would gladly pay for a system like we've all discussed but how many people would want to pay for it. I wouldn't. I don't feel I have a need for it so it would be of little value.

Unless the danger was common enough the manufacturers decided it was in their best interest to create a system like this or legislators made them; it's not going to happen.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!