DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deepwater Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:89
gingrbredman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandchef View Post
Gingrbredman, quick questions on your cam setup.

You have the trailer back up cam going to the hanging screen; does the regular back up cam go there as well or does it go to the head unit through the lockpick? I like the idea of putting it up when I'm towing but i don't think I would want it there all the time.

From what I understand the Lockpick does a great job of the auto circuits for the front and rear cams but it doesn't have an auto circuit for a trailer cam so I thought i could wire those with the lockpick and then use a system like yours for the trailer. Which screen did you get that hangs there?

Thanks
The trailer cam system I got off of ebay a while ago. I had it installed in my last truck and just put it on the new one. Here is a shot of what you would get:

Basically, the trailer system sends the camera feed to the monitor I have hanging on my rear view mirror. I only have that monitor there when I am towing. There is a quick connect on the back of this monitor and the wires are in a loom hanging down right next to the mirror wiring so you really don't even see the wires there when the monitor is disconnected.

For the Ram, I have the stock backup camera which feeds into the headunit. So when I backup to hitch the trailer, the backup feed shows on my headunit. When I hitch the trailer up, the trailer camera shows up on the monitor hanging on the rearview mirror. I wouldn't want that monitor on the mirror all the time so this works well when I tow the trailer.

Now for the interesting part. I think I can use the monitor and or headunit and send the signals to either or both using the Lockpick controls. I'll have the camper home tonight and will do a little experimenting this weekend.

Here is a shot of the monitor on in my last truck.

And here is a shot of the camera mounted to the back of the camper.

Gusz 2011 RAM SPORT CC -Lockpick CHR550 -Hardwired Radar Detector - Custom Trailer Cam - -Fold a-Cover G4 - Bed Rug - Billet Shifter - Debadged - 18" Magnaflow - Custom Clear HID Projectors - LED Tailgate Bar - Custom Billet Badges -
Sponsored links
Old 06-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKy411 View Post
So for the radar detector he ran it from the 12v outlet? I would not have thought of that, I would have probably ran it all the way to the fuse box.
Yep, the smart cord uses a 12v supply. You could either use the power in the mirror harness, or do likeI did and just tap off the 12v cig outlet. Or, you could go right to the fuse box if you wanted to.
Gusz 2011 RAM SPORT CC -Lockpick CHR550 -Hardwired Radar Detector - Custom Trailer Cam - -Fold a-Cover G4 - Bed Rug - Billet Shifter - Debadged - 18" Magnaflow - Custom Clear HID Projectors - LED Tailgate Bar - Custom Billet Badges -
Old 06-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingrbredman View Post
Basically, the trailer system sends the camera feed to the monitor I have hanging on my rear view mirror. I only have that monitor there when I am towing. There is a quick connect on the back of this monitor and the wires are in a loom hanging down right next to the mirror wiring so you really don't even see the wires there when the monitor is disconnected.

For the Ram, I have the stock backup camera which feeds into the headunit. So when I backup to hitch the trailer, the backup feed shows on my headunit. When I hitch the trailer up, the trailer camera shows up on the monitor hanging on the rearview mirror. I wouldn't want that monitor on the mirror all the time so this works well when I tow the trailer.

Now for the interesting part. I think I can use the monitor and or headunit and send the signals to either or both using the Lockpick controls. I'll have the camper home tonight and will do a little experimenting this weekend.
Your set up is exactly how I was thinking it would work for mine. The extra monitor is only used when towing. However, if you figure a way to easily choose the rear camera you want from the head unit let me know.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 06-24-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlandchef View Post
Your set up is exactly how I was thinking it would work for mine. The extra monitor is only used when towing. However, if you figure a way to easily choose the rear camera you want from the head unit let me know.
The way I have it wired together, I could choose the trailer camera from my headunit if I have the camper hooked up. The trailer camera system send the video directly into the monitor. But there is also a "video out" feed from the monitor that I used to feed the video to the Lockpick and into the "Aux AV Input". So If I had the trailer hooked up, I could switch to the Aux AV Input video and I would get the trailer camera on my head unit.

My issues with viewing the video this way are 1) It is difficult to navigate the audio on the headunit when the camera feed is showing. If I needed to change radio stations, ipod control etc., I would have to turn the video off manually, then back on again when I'm done. 2) The natural inclination is to view whats behind is from the rear view mirror. So if the feed to the back of the trailer is on the head unit, I probably would keep looking at the mirror first, then to the video on the head unit.

I was going to do a small write up on this and the Lockpick in the audio video section. I'm sure I'll have a few videos posted as well.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

I know there are ways to choose cameras other than the front or rear cameras on the lockpick but my understanding is only one of those inputs is triggered when the truck is put in reverse. So I could either have the truck's back up camera or the trailer camera wired to show on the head unit when the truck is put in reverse but I couldn't change that without rewiring. I'd love to be wrong here and find out I could pick the camers which will trigger with reverse from the head unit before I pull out on a trip depending on whether I'm towing or not. For me, if a backup camera isn't triggered when the truck is in reverse its not very useful.

So I think your setup with the extra monitor is the easiest to implement; that monitor could also be wired to turn on when backing up. So the truck's backup camera would show up on the headunit when backing up and if I'm towing the trailer's camera would turn on when backing up as well and show up on the extra monitor. If I'm not towing I would just remove the extra monitor.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!