DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 ram 2500
Trim Level: slt & lost camo
Color: timberline green
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
DODGEARCHER is on a distinguished road
Default check guages light on

hello all. I have a 2003 ram 2500 with a hemi, 4x4 crew cab. Last week I tried the tmr mod and my check guages light came on. I unplugged the yellow wire with the green stripe on the pass side fender. I drove it for about 2 miles and I had weird shifts. I pulled over in a parking lot and plugged the wire back in. The check guages light is still on. I got to work and pulled the neg battery terminal off to reset the pcm. At that time I also turned on the lights to drain all the power. I let is sit like that for about 5 hours at work and put the terminal back on. The check guages light is still on. When you turn the truck on all the lights flash like they should and the check guages light goes out, then it comes on about 5 seconds later. It throws the p0571 code. My voltage is dead center on the line, it used to be around 5/8 on the guage now its right at the half way mark. Also my fuel guage light is not as bright as the rest of them. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Matt.
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2011, 06:15 PM
erm

I'll look up this code tonight.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:21 PM
erm

P0571 = Brake Switch 1 Performance.

The brake switch rationality checks both failure modes of the brake switch. The brake switch stuck on test checks for a high vehicle speed condition where the brake switch is unexpectedly depressed. The break switch stuck off tests checks for repeated vehicle stop maneuvers without the brake switch depressed.

The system is monitored when the ignition is one.

Set condition: If the output of brake switch 1 to the PCM looks like it is not applied, while the brake lamp output circuit is applied the fault will set within two trips.

Possible causes:

B29 - Brake switch 1 signal shorted to ground
V32 - Brake switch 2 signal circuit open
V32 - Brake switch 2 signal shorted to ground
Z429 - Ground circuit open
Stop lamp switch defective (would explain the four conditions above)
PCM

So, it appears you have to troubleshoot brake switch 1 & 2 by disconnecting the stop lamp harness, the C3 PCM harness connector and measure resistance between ground and Brake switch 1 signal circuit. (B29) You should have a resistance of grater than 100 ohms

For V32 (1), you perform the same operation at brake switch no. 2. from the stop lamp switch harness connector to the PCM. A special tool is required here to avoid probing the PCM connectors directly. Miller Special Tool #8815. You should have a reading of greater than 5 ohms.

For V32 (2) measure the resistance between ground and the brake switch no. 2 signal circuit in the stop lamp switch harness connector. You should have a reading greater than 100 ohms.

For Z429 measure resistance between ground and the ground circuit in the stop lamp switch harness. You should have a reading greater than 5 ohms.

If you do not have the miller tool or a multi-meter or if you have never done this type of testing before (knowing how to find the circuits and how to avoid damaging the PCM), then take it to the dealer.

Your alternative is to pull and replace your brake switch and go from there.

Good luck!