DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics


Notices


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 06-27-2011, 12:27 AM
xnumnutsx xnumnutsx is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 65
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: SLT laramine
Color: inferno red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
xnumnutsx is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
The 360 only has like 20-30 more HP. Your transmission might need a good band adjustment. You should be able to do a burn out. I mean like... you should just be able to, it's odd to not be able to. I've seen Dodge Ram Van's with the 318 do it all stock. Well first try changing out the differential, maybe that will help
what the hell is a band adjustment? cause if that would help me out i might do it. cause sometimes it feels like this thing cant even get out of its own way. and i know this truck has some balls but its like something it holding it back!

oh and nobody ever answered me, if i change the gear ratio in the back i have to change it in the front also right?

Last edited by xnumnutsx; 06-27-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #22  
Old 06-27-2011, 02:44 AM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,903
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codes View Post
thats a wicked burn out!
I know, and thats not even my van. I won't do a burn out in my van, it will damage the transmission and puts unneeded ware on the motor. I don't mind a transmission waring much because you I rebuild it over and over but a motor can only be rebuilt so many times before the block has to be scrapped.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-27-2011, 02:54 AM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,903
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnumnutsx View Post
what the hell is a band adjustment? cause if that would help me out i might do it. cause sometimes it feels like this thing cant even get out of its own way. and i know this truck has some balls but its like something it holding it back!

oh and nobody ever answered me, if i change the gear ratio in the back i have to change it in the front also right?
Band adjustment now I think of it I'm not sure if your tranny has bands in it, they stopped using bands a long time ago. Anyways bands are just metal bands with friction material on them, they rap around metal drums in the transmission that have a combination of steel and friction plates in them that make up clutches, their is a forward band and a reverse band. The forward band is the first gear while the reverse band is the 2nd and 3rd gear along with reverse. That is if the transmission we are talking about is a 3 speed. Anyways I think you don't have bands because of the age of the vehicle, I'm so use to old fashion stuff that I just say bands. haha

Anyways, the motor and transmission do have something to do with not being able to do a burn out because you just saw a god damned van do it but that van did have posi I believe they put posi on their, im putting posi on my van cause I remember when I was ten the van got stuck in the sand so their ya go. Anyways I think it's time you have the transmission serviced, I am not gonna lie but chrysler transmissions are good but only if you use approved ATF+4 and service the transmission regularly. If you do service it regularly then I can promise you atleast a quarter million miles off a transmission without any slippage. At one point if you were dealing with bands you would have to have the bands replaced which is very easy and requires basic tools and a transmission fluid pump seal and gasket kit and two bands.

Anyways I'm getting ahead of myself here with transmission repairs and rebuilds which I can do in my sleep. (Motors and transmissions are just puzzles and them I am good at

anyways start out by putting a LSD and having the transmission serviced, watch them put the transmission fluid in (many mechanics just put in Dex 2 and you don't really want to use that, it's cheap the dollar store sells it down here where i live, but they don't sell chrysler atf. So make sure they use CHRYSLER Approved ATF+4 (Valvoline) and watch them pour it, they will try to cheat you. ALWAYS do your own oil change also because the jiffy lubes like to save a quart of oil. they use to short my parents on a quart of oil and my mother found out and they were doing it to all there customers, amazing the place is still there. Dex is not made for chrysler thats why it's no good. Anyways I say have the trans serviced because many people actually don't service their transmission (fact based on statistics) anyways that and because I know you must of had a rebuild because you stated the engine and transmission have about 70K miles on them so I'd figure a vehicle with 200+K miles and a trans and engine with 70K miles he must have had a rebuild.

Last edited by ramvan2500; 06-27-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 AM
xnumnutsx xnumnutsx is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 65
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: SLT laramine
Color: inferno red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
xnumnutsx is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
Band adjustment now I think of it I'm not sure if your tranny has bands in it, they stopped using bands a long time ago. Anyways bands are just metal bands with friction material on them, they rap around metal drums in the transmission that have a combination of steel and friction plates in them that make up clutches, their is a forward band and a reverse band. The forward band is the first gear while the reverse band is the 2nd and 3rd gear along with reverse. That is if the transmission we are talking about is a 3 speed. Anyways I think you don't have bands because of the age of the vehicle, I'm so use to old fashion stuff that I just say bands. haha

Anyways, the motor and transmission do have something to do with not being able to do a burn out because you just saw a god damned van do it but that van did have posi I believe they put posi on their, im putting posi on my van cause I remember when I was ten the van got stuck in the sand so their ya go. Anyways I think it's time you have the transmission serviced, I am not gonna lie but chrysler transmissions are good but only if you use approved ATF+4 and service the transmission regularly. If you do service it regularly then I can promise you atleast a quarter million miles off a transmission without any slippage. At one point if you were dealing with bands you would have to have the bands replaced which is very easy and requires basic tools and a transmission fluid pump seal and gasket kit and two bands.

Anyways I'm getting ahead of myself here with transmission repairs and rebuilds which I can do in my sleep. (Motors and transmissions are just puzzles and them I am good at

anyways start out by putting a LSD and having the transmission serviced, watch them put the transmission fluid in (many mechanics just put in Dex 2 and you don't really want to use that, it's cheap the dollar store sells it down here where i live, but they don't sell chrysler atf. So make sure they use CHRYSLER Approved ATF+4 (Valvoline) and watch them pour it, they will try to cheat you. ALWAYS do your own oil change also because the jiffy lubes like to save a quart of oil. they use to short my parents on a quart of oil and my mother found out and they were doing it to all there customers, amazing the place is still there. Dex is not made for chrysler thats why it's no good. Anyways I say have the trans serviced because many people actually don't service their transmission (fact based on statistics) anyways that and because I know you must of had a rebuild because you stated the engine and transmission have about 70K miles on them so I'd figure a vehicle with 200+K miles and a trans and engine with 70K miles he must have had a rebuild.
ya i just bought the truck last year and the guy i got it from said it had 65k on the motor and trans and said its got the heavy duty trans it it. so i got somwere around 70-75k now. and ya i know all about the ass holes working at quik lubes! that why i will never got to one!! so when you say have my trans serviced what do u mean? just have the fluid changed or what?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-27-2011, 04:30 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,903
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnumnutsx View Post
ya i just bought the truck last year and the guy i got it from said it had 65k on the motor and trans and said its got the heavy duty trans it it. so i got somwere around 70-75k now. and ya i know all about the ass holes working at quik lubes! that why i will never got to one!! so when you say have my trans serviced what do u mean? just have the fluid changed or what?
Well by servicing, usually it involves a fluid and filter change but sometimes if you want to get a good servicing it would be a fluid flush were they hook up a fluid exchanger to the cooler lines and then flush it out, now I doubt you need to do that because of the mileage and you can usually tell by the colour and oder of the fluid. Also a service is mainly band adjustment if you have bands, it is recommended to have the bands adjusted every 12K miles but you have to remember 12K miles in respect to how you drive (meaning towing, WOT, and so on)... But first just check the dip stick and do this.

Take a white paper towel and let a drop of ATF from the dip stick drop on the paper towel, if the ATF spreads outward then the transmission fluid hasn't been worn out yet, if it spreads this means that it's still a friction modifier and not a just liquid.

Then check the colour it should be a redish pink, if it's brown or has some slight brownish in it, then the fluid must be flushed, this means that the fluid has been burnt.

Now for the fun part, check the oder. If the fluid has a burnt like toast smell to it then thats obvious, flush the fluid.

Now for the filter change, you can buy a filter and pan gasket kit for about 6.99 (mine is a 46RH and it's 6.99 for the kit (not bad) )
Don't use RTV sealant with transmission fluid, RTV isn't impregnable to ATF. I prefer to use a rubber gasket and put a little atf on each side of the gasket, helps with keeping it sticking to the pan when installing and just helps with the sealing. Then make sure the bolts are torqued to 13 ft/lbs. It is important they are torqued because overtime they do infact come loose because of the material of the transmission housing and the vibration from driving. Mine came loose most likely because whoever did the work didn't torque them properly, I was able to remove the bolts with my finger, usually the front bolts come loose first.

Well, anyways have the transmission just serviced but check the condition of the fluid first. Note that if your transmission has bands they will end up probably changing the fluid and filter because the pan has to be removed in order to adjust the reverse drum's band.

All that aside, get a LSD. You pretty much just have to swap the ring gear from the old one to the new one. Like the other man said you can change the ring gear and spider to have a much better axle ratio.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
snrusnak's Avatar
snrusnak snrusnak is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Orlando
Age: 27
Posts: 13,387
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep Power: 12
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default

Wow good info there ^^^

Some comments: I've always heard you should never flush a transmission because it can contaminate it....so I've never done it. I've always done the gasket, filter, and fluid changes and seems to make them last much longer those people I know that never do it...That being said, I also drive easier usually, it almost hurts me when I'm with someone and they go in reverse about 5mph then throw it in drive...
__________________
Sean

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-27-2011, 04:52 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,903
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Wow good info there ^^^

Some comments: I've always heard you should never flush a transmission because it can contaminate it....so I've never done it. I've always done the gasket, filter, and fluid changes and seems to make them last much longer those people I know that never do it...That being said, I also drive easier usually, it almost hurts me when I'm with someone and they go in reverse about 5mph then throw it in drive...
It won't contaminate anything, when they do a fluid flush is really a fluid exchange they suck the old fluid out and then begin to cycle new fluid in. A majority of the transmission fluid is in the transmission itself and mostly in the torque converter. So when they cycle the new fluid in they even change out the fluid in the TC. What I mean about fluid in the transmission is that their is fluid above the valve body that can't drain on it's own without the transmission being on and in Neutral or without the help of a machine to extract the fluid. But a fluid flush is actually a very good thing because it helps with getting out fluid that is trapped in areas that you can't drain.

Certainly it is obvious to drain the pan and clean the magnet first before doing the fluid exchange else wise you have particles circulating all over the place.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-27-2011, 09:17 PM
xnumnutsx xnumnutsx is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 65
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: SLT laramine
Color: inferno red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
xnumnutsx is on a distinguished road
Default

thanks alot for the good info.im guna take it in tmrw and have it looked at by a trans guy and see what he thinks.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-27-2011, 10:44 PM
ramvan2500's Avatar
ramvan2500 ramvan2500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida USA
Posts: 1,903
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 4
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnumnutsx View Post
thanks alot for the good info.im guna take it in tmrw and have it looked at by a trans guy and see what he thinks.
Sounds like a plan, just make sure they use the chrysler approved ATF and don't use RTV sealant for the pan gasket. Else wise it should be fine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear Differential Noise shocker Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion 8 03-25-2011 12:07 AM
Rear end question ajay080672 Dodge Ram General Discussion 7 10-21-2009 10:10 PM
Rear end bearing question donniehall1 Suspension 1 10-18-2009 10:02 PM
anti-spin differential rear axle Andy37 Newbie Checkin! 6 06-14-2009 04:17 PM
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle Andy37 Dodge Ram General Discussion 3 06-12-2009 06:32 PM


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum