DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-06-2011, 11:33 PM
oldskool

Talking Truck Comparisons

Guys- are there any performance or build modification differences between the Big Horn CC Hemi and the Sport CC Hemi? I understand the "trim" level stuff (for the most part that is), just wondering if there is are suspension, transmission, axel, etc differences?

It seems most dealers in my area are better stocked with Big Horn's than any other trim level-good overall model choice I suppose. I am contemplating one on my dealers lot although I have him "searching" for a Sport that matches my criteria as well? Who know's, we'll see if he can change out the 403 head for the 403n and and the chrome side step to the Big Horn, i might be able to live without leather?
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2011, 02:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 4x4 Crew
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:147
FormerGorilla will become famous soon enoughFormerGorilla will become famous soon enough

I believe the difference is only trim. The Sport has a different hood, painted bumper/grille, etc. The Big Horn has a few more standard upgrades than an SLT. As for performance the standard Big Horn engine is the 4.7L, whereas the Sport comes standard with the 5.7L. All in all, when it comes to everything except paint and styling, both can be ordered with the same options (again, not including exterior options). Can order the same rear-end, transmission is the same, engine is the same (when ordering the comparable size), and suspension is the same.
I got a steal on my SLT CC (about $10K off on a dealer clearance deal ...couldn't pass it up. Plus, I like adding my own frills...), so I can't speak from personal experience, so if I am not totally correct, someone please correct me.
MODS LIST! -- 20% Tint, Curt Rec. Hitch, Slimline Toolbox, Huskyliner mats, Huskyliner Mud guards, 18" Gear Wheels, 33" Hankook ATM Tires, Bilstein 5100's at 1.4", Ported Foxbox w/2 10" Polk Subs & JL 500W Amp, Mufflex 24" Exhaust, Tow Hooks, Dominator II Step Bars, GatorHyde Spray-In Bedliner
Old 07-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
herc is on a distinguished road

If you're including sound in what you consider performance, there IS a little difference in the tuning of the dual exhaust note, assuming all have the 5.7 with duals. Their term for the Laramie's is a "refined" note. The Sport has an "aggressive" note. I guess that would leave the BH somewhere in between.

I guess that the sound DOES add a lot to the overall impression of driving and living with the truck, but I don't believe any of the three "note" alternatives affects power at the wheels.

I never drove a sport, but did drive a BH and then settled on a Laramie. On the highway, the Laramie was a little quieter, which I personally like a lot. Give it a bagful, though, and it still wails pretty impressively. Gentleman or badass, depending on your mood that day.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

They all have the crappy Y so one of the first mods is to replace it

Unless they got the hint and replaced it this time around.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 07-07-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew w/Rambox
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:36
moose3 is on a distinguished road

It is all in the finishes, the powertrail is all the same, no different tune on any of the Ram 5.7s.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:25
Bulldawg1359 is on a distinguished road

Both have same powertrain. Sport may have different style wheels ( but both 20 inch wheels). Sport can have the sport leather or full leather. Sport will also have the mygig radio and can have extra features like a sunroof. Some of the big horns at my dealership have the upgraded stereo and mygig so it depends on the big horn too. I recommend the sport, it is a little extra money but it looks really sharp and the leather interior is amazing. Cloth seats bother me. Hope this helps!

(ps. I went to two different dealerships with bighorns, and one dealership's bighorns had the mygig touch radio, and the other dealership didnt have the mygig. And the trucks were almost identical in price. So search hard!)
Old 07-07-2011, 03:42 PM
erm

The only difference that there may be, besides the trim package, is to compare the differential gear ratio.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Dvp16 is on a distinguished road

I did 3 different spec builds on the ram website and printed them so I could compare features. The window stickers do not provide all the info. For instance adjustable pedals is not mentioned on the Laramie window sticker but is on the Ram build spec sheet. I like them all Sport/Big Horn, Laramie. I was leaning towards a sport with leather but discovered sports are not available with the protection package (tow hooks/skid plates) and for 1500 more with discounts I was able to get a Laramie with the protection package. Also the rebates are different on each model so check that out on the Ram site.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 PM
oldskool

Thanks for the help guys, I am working with my dealer on a Sport and a Laramie CC, we'll see how well he can do? I am shooting for $9500 off the sticker, using USAA's no haggle cost sheet as a baseline, we are "arm wrestling" and still "haggling" at the moment! I'm not wedded to this dealer or this deal, plenty of options out there it appears!

Thanks again all!