DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-10-2011, 01:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge ram 1500 slt sport
Trim Level: Black
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:26
bmpxluke is on a distinguished road

I have my American Thunder Super 40 Series installed on my 05 V8 Ram..I feel like I felt a difference when I installed them..especially after adding the CAI...personally I love the sound of them =]...to each their own!
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 RAM Quad HEMI 4x4
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Black
Rep:10
DavidNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmpxluke View Post
I have my American Thunder Super 40 Series installed on my 05 V8 Ram..I feel like I felt a difference when I installed them..especially after adding the CAI...personally I love the sound of them =]...to each their own!
How much drone noise do you get at highway speed (2-2.5K rpm)?

I just got back from taking my 05 hemi to the mountains. The existing single exit flowmaster 40 is so loud that we had to yell to hear each other at highway speed. Not bad around town.

I want to replace the exhaust to get rid of the drone. I like the idea of the American Thunder side exit duals, seems that they may less noisy on the highway.

The local shop will drop in a giant universal fit muffler for $80, but I hate the thought that I may drop fuel mileage (averaged 19 mpg highway and 15 mpg during mountain/off-road trip) and power.

Going to the beach in a few weeks, so looking for a good fix before then.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I find it hard to believe that the stock muffler flows nearly as much as an aftermarket, especially a straight through muffler with no restriction...but I'm not calling you a liar or anything either... I know there are other things to consider when testing flow, like at certain pressures, etc... or something like that. I'd guess that the stock muffler gets really choked up at higher demand (higher rpms)

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
I find it hard to believe that the stock muffler flows nearly as much as an aftermarket, especially a straight through muffler with no restriction...but I'm not calling you a liar or anything either... I know there are other things to consider when testing flow, like at certain pressures, etc... or something like that. I'd guess that the stock muffler gets really choked up at higher demand (higher rpms)
I agree that the stock muffler will not flow as well as a good aftermarket performance style muffler. The exhaust shop said the the universal stock replacement (with life time warranty) was designed to be quiet and likely will not perform any better than stock.

The current muffler is the flowmaster 40 and gets the fuel economy I mentioned in the earlier post. It has a terrible drone, so I want to replace it.

I don't believe that a stock universal replacement will keep my mileage up, so I think I want to get another highflow exhaust.

I'm now leaning towards the Gibson Super Truck SS side exhaust.

My guess is that the performance exhaust does improve fuel economy by about 10% and will pay for itself over a universal stock replacement. The exhaust shop expressed the same opinion.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn QC 4x4
Color: Electric Blue Pearl
RazorTips is on a distinguished road

I have the Cherry Bomb Extreme Mufflers sans the resonators. It did help with the MPG a little. Seat in the pants performance...Ehhh! I have some thick skin there to really tell if it helped what so ever. When the 5.7 is cold, it sounds a little funky when you feather the gas. When it warms up, you get a lot of "one finger salutes" from Privus and Hyundai owners you'll sail past because those puppies are LOUD!

Last edited by RazorTips; 08-11-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I ordered the Dynomax 19388 - Super Turbo Kit; Dual Cat-Back System; 3 in. System; Incl. Intermediate Pipe; Super Turbo Muffler; Dual Tail Pipe; Clamps.

One of the nice things is that there is a trial period to decide if the exhaust is to my liking. If not, I can return it.

Also, the Dynomax muffler was listed as a top flowing muffler.

I'll give a review in a few weeks, after the beach trip.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:03 AM

Vehicle: 2008 QC HEMI
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:34
70x7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNC View Post
I ordered the Dynomax 19388 - Super Turbo Kit; Dual Cat-Back System; 3 in. System; Incl. Intermediate Pipe; Super Turbo Muffler; Dual Tail Pipe; Clamps.

One of the nice things is that there is a trial period to decide if the exhaust is to my liking. If not, I can return it.

Also, the Dynomax muffler was listed as a top flowing muffler.

I'll give a review in a few weeks, after the beach trip.
Anxious for the review!!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:38 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
LMAO! Conceding is not something that comes easy for you, does it?

You just cling onto the last bit of strand you can, don't you?

Let it loose slim and let the facts [test] speak for themselves.

I told you and the forum before in another thread: the OEM muffler is NOT as restrictive as you think. Yes, it sounds like crap and makes a great kitchen step-stool, but I've seen far more restrictive mufflers.

Like I told you before, I'd change the horrid OEM Y-pipe crimp well before the muffler.

Carry on.....

Grub out!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

at lower speeds the mufflers are very comparable...when you go wot you'll see that our hemi's like alot of flow which a chambered muffler doesn't give like a straight through mag does... I ran flow 50s for awhile and didn't think it hindered my performance because i had one of the faster qc's way back when.. I ended up swapping because I couldn't stand how loud it had become incab, like said earlier, we would be practically yelling at each other. When i swapped to a 22" mag i could not believe how quiet it got incab...and never really noticed how better it performed until I hit the track and immediately my times were dropping and mph rising... this leads me to believe that the hemi likes and needs to breathe....
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Old 08-21-2012, 03:22 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: MagnaHEMI
Color: Deep Water Pearl Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:120
KarateManAZ will become famous soon enoughKarateManAZ will become famous soon enough

Go with a Magnaflow and don't look back!
Oh Yeah its a MagnaHEMI 12.2@109