DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:39
websterc is on a distinguished road
Default Tinted the tail lights today

Well yesterday I decided I was going to attempt to tint my tail lights using VHT Nite Shades.

Overall I ended up using three coats of VHT and 8 coats of clear coat. I probably have about two or three hours of buffing and polishing into them.

I think they turned out a bit to dark but overall I am extremely happy with them.

Cory.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

It looks awesome man! You should do your third brake light as well.
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:05 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

I think they look good but I don't understand how doing this can be legal... I mean, where I come from vehicles need functioning, visible brake lights. Don't you worry about somebody plowing into the back of your truck, and you being found responsible for it?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:222
BLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura about

Looks good....maybe a bit dark but nice job, I would do the 3rd brake light but lighter. You may miss not having the reverse lights, I left mine when I did them and glad I did now.

"MPG???...I get Smiles Per Gallon!"
2010 RAM SPORT CC 4x4 Hemi
Diablo Tuner, Mufflex 14, Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks, 3.5 lift, 35 in mud tires
Old 06-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:39
websterc is on a distinguished road

The pictures are actually much darker then they are when your standing in front of them. The reverse lights only have one light coat over them just enough so they don't stick out like a sore thumb.

From the laws I have read about concerning tail lights, nothing really defines that they need to be red, only need to emit red light during driving at night and braking, the tint doesn't stop the light from from coming through red just darkens the lens so you don't see the red lens during the day.

I planned to do the third brake light but I was using a can I had laying around and just had enough to do the tails. This is the fourth set of tails I have done with the same can.

Cory.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:20 PM
erm

Lookin' good!!!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

I don't know about Canada but they are illegal in most states, probably all. The reason is simple and has nothing to do with visible distance or reflectors etc. The reason is in likely all state vehicle codes you will find a statement something like this:

"All safety equipment shall be maintained in good repair and shall meet manufacturers specifications".

The last part is the kicker and lights are considered safety equipment.

It may not be worded exactly this way but it's there and the reason is straight forward. Rather than each state having to deal with technical specs for all of this it lets the NHTSA, Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and others do all the testing, issuing of opinions, recommendations, requirements etc. The manufacturers follow these and specify equipment to meet these needs. So that blanket statement allows states to keep up with the times and not have to worry about rewriting their traffic code every time there is an advancement.

Some states have specific distances for lights most of those are from long ago when motoring was just getting started. Others like tint laws, HID laws etc. are ignorant legislators writing laws in reaction to something specific to get headlines, rather than just making sure the existing law is enforced.

Now does it mean you'll get a ticket, no. As long as the police can see you properly you're probably fine just realise that they are probably illegal no matter what didtance you can see them from.

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 06-27-2011, 05:52 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:869
jcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to behold

Those look great! Awesome job
Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Nate is on a distinguished road

Definitely looks awesome, Being too dark is a bit of a concern, hopefully like you say they still light up plenty when you hit the brakes.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: dark gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
lzrdkng07 is on a distinguished road

I think they look great and the third light lighter probably wouldnt notice much difference from tails.