DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default Water leak, rear window?

So this is the second time I've noticed this....later in the day after a rain I open the back door and see a few drops of water on the top of the back of the seat, next to the headrest, like between the headrest and drivers side rear door....with a slight amount of water in the rear window bottom track where the cable is for the automatic rear window... Any thoughts on where this could be coming from, this is extremely frustrating, I got rid of my old truck to get one that would be relatively worry free, and I'm having more issues with this one than my 220k miles s10...granted it's not all the trucks fault, it's partly prev owners fault...missing the bottom half of the radiator fan shroud as it's shattered in pieces...also could use help locating one of these other than dealer...thanks!

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 06-27-2011, 12:07 PM
erm

The shroud may be available at a local wrecking yard. But, it's a fairly new truck so there's no aftermarket OEM licensed parts out there that I am aware of.

I found several online MOPAR dealer parts departments that have great prices. Even with shipping they beat the heck outta my local dealer on price.

Sounds like you have a rear window seal problem.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:49
zobius is on a distinguished road

Had the same problem went to dealer they resealed rear window and 3rd brake light no leaks so far all under warranty
Old 06-27-2011, 03:00 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks, since I am not the original owner I believe only power train is covered on my little warranty that I have, I may try the dealer I bought it from to see if they would fix it out of good faith....small chance...how hard would it be to do myself? Is there anywhere I could find the info on how to do it?

Old 06-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:10
NOLA 5.7 is on a distinguished road

Not trying to thread-jack, but mine started leaking today for the first time during a very heavy storm. It was like someone was pouring water in through the passenger side rear corner and running down from under the headliner. It was so heavy that it was splashing onto my seat. The driver side rear was leaking as well, but not nearly as bad. Visually, everything looks good, though there was about a fingernail-size amount of condensation in the third brake light. I'm hoping it's the third brake light and the rear glass. I'll be bringing into the dealer tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 PM

Thanks, please post afterwards how that goes. If you get pricing from them that'd be great too, I'm assuming I'll have to pay out of pocket to get this fixed...

Old 06-27-2011, 09:54 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

I had a similar leak around the 3rd brake light. Removed it and made my own gasket out of black RTV. No leaks in 8+ months.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:54 AM

thanks chevyklr I may try this first as this would be easy and cheap...so did you just use the rtv sealant towards the edges of the light then screw it back in? What's there now, rubber gasket? Also, how would water leaking from the third brake light travel over to the edge of the seat and no where else?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

I'm not positve it would fix your situation but for a couple $ it will seal that light better and eliminate it from your troublehshooting. I was positive that was where mine was leaking and it was far less troublesome for me to fix it myself vs going to the dealership...it would've turned into an all day thing.
there is just a thin foam gasket about 1/8" or so wide (IIRC) around the 3rd brake light. I ran a decent sized bead in place of it. I used black b/c my truck is black and if any squeezed out I used my pinky to smooth it. Anyway, turned out good and standing in the bed looking around the light you can't even tell.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Rep:10
BigHorn2010 is on a distinguished road

I agree with what some others have said...the 3rd brake light is most likely your culprit. My 2010 did the same thing. If you do take it to the dealer, don't let them just use clear silicone to fix it. There is an updated lens/gasket available and that has cured my problem for close to a year now. My dealer did the silicone trick first without me knowing until I picked the truck up and noticed. They did a realy sloppy job, silicone all around the lens and I think they got more silicone on the paint than they did in and and around the lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
So this is the second time I've noticed this....later in the day after a rain I open the back door and see a few drops of water on the top of the back of the seat, next to the headrest, like between the headrest and drivers side rear door....with a slight amount of water in the rear window bottom track where the cable is for the automatic rear window... Any thoughts on where this could be coming from, this is extremely frustrating, I got rid of my old truck to get one that would be relatively worry free, and I'm having more issues with this one than my 220k miles s10...granted it's not all the trucks fault, it's partly prev owners fault...missing the bottom half of the radiator fan shroud as it's shattered in pieces...also could use help locating one of these other than dealer...thanks!