DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram 1500
Rep:10
johnny b is on a distinguished road
Default new and quick help please

hey guys, new and need some quick help if possible, cause tripping alittle till morning when i get some answers

problem is...i need new rear differential, basically to repair internals, it would be smarter just to get a used rearend...i am self employed and dont have much time to "search" this evening,(so sorry) but maybe someone will chime in for quick insight

question is....i have 04 swb 1500 355 gears...i do a fair amt of work towing with this truck and most likely reason the rear is shot....basically got truck when had 40k on clock, got 90k now and somewhat hard 50k with towing 60% of time, anyways...curious if you can put a 2500 rear in it with not much drama / changing much stuff etc...and basically plug and play?...
any insight appreciated.....and again i will know more in morning on details etc...but what is the price of used rearend (ballpark ish) and hrs of labor to switch out?....here's a pic of truck just to post .....thanks again and sorry if got in wrong section, alittle busy and did not have much time to navigate around
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0006.jpg (107.5 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored links
Old 06-27-2011, 10:41 PM
erm

You can swap over. Just make sure you get the springs, shocks, hangers, etc....to do a complete swap or you'll be doing a LOT of fabrication work.

A good shop can swap it out for ya and have it on the road in 4 - 6 hours. Shop rates vary so your total cost is not easy to determine.

I'd call around to some frame and suspension shops or 4X4 shops in your area to get a quote and find out what they would like to get with the differential as far as the ancillary parts.

Last edited by erm; 06-27-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram 1500
Rep:10
johnny b is on a distinguished road

thanks for insight