DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
rodanst6 is on a distinguished road

G2 here and totally happy with it!
Sponsored links
Old 06-30-2011, 07:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
JimmyNichols is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtelvr View Post
Well, at first the remaining hardware(rails/clamps) weren't a huge drawback for me. What was however, was the couple of demo models that were inside of a building already were showing some pretty gnarly top seal/hinge damage. For a $700-$1000 cover, that just isnt right...

I see what you are saying. Around here there aren't a lot of truck buyers so when I saw the demo units in the accessory stores there wasn't a lot of wear on them. I could see how in GA there would be a lot of folks playing with the demos and wearing them out.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:33
doug713 is on a distinguished road

I've had a G2 on my truck for about 5 months now and love it.. Absolutely no probs and I work construction and I am opening and closing it at least 5-10 times a day and it still looks and works like new. I get many compliments on it and can't say enough good about it... Ok,, the only draw back is you could porbably fry an egg on it when it gets to above 90 degrees, but thats the only bad thing.....
Old 06-30-2011, 07:02 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express 1500
Color: Silver
vtelvr is on a distinguished road

Well, I have to take back all those nasty things I said in this thread, haha!...I guess I will be a proud F1 owner as soon as it gets from their warehouse to mine!

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....464#post559464
Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Blue
Rep:100
LeKy411 will become famous soon enoughLeKy411 will become famous soon enough

I've had one for a couple months now. Had trouble with it not leaking. The gaskets getting ripped up when I fold it. I seem to be a nit picker, or I look like a sucker don't know yet. They have good customer support. After the issues with the F1 they decided that they will send me a brand spankin' new one to replace the one giving me trouble. Seems to be a hit or miss with these. I guess it depends on what day they assemble your cover. Best of Luck!
Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:30
ELFATKAT is on a distinguished road
Cool Update with pics...

The install went smooth. It was easy and I did it by myself. Well, my son did help for some of it. Here are some pics of during and after the install.

Install Process
First I took everything out to make sure I had everything. Everything was packed nice and neat. THe rails were even wrapped in bubble wrap. I had some long strips of material that I am not really sure what they are for. I had a little bundle of shims, but I did not need them. I have the sprayed in bed liner with the plastic on top. It looked like it might be a problem, but it fit right in.

I lined up the rails and clamped them down. I first hand tightened the clamps. Once I put the cover on I tightened the bolts with a socket.

I laid the cover on my bed and my son helped me remove the plastic. Then I just put the cover on the rails and opened it. I moved it a little some to make sure it was straight. Once I liked it, then I tighten everything. I had to have my son push the bolts down thru the top so I could get the rubber washer, the metal washer, and lock washer on. I just hand tightened the start nuts until it felt pretty firm. I am sure I could tighten them some more, but I think I read on some other post to not tighten them too much.

I opened and closed it a few times and everything still lined up and I just worked the rubber seals some to lay down. It has been pretty warm around here and they are all nice and flat now. I put the rubber bumpers on the last section so when I have it completely open it will not hit the window. Well only the middle one actually hits the glass. I guess I should have spaced them closer to the middle.

Then I cut the tubing to about 6 inches and stuck them in the holes in the bed and to the drains. I am not sure if I was supposed to remove the little plug at the bottom of my bed next to the tie down to insert the tube. Looks to me like it would not fit. Needless to say I have some tubing left over. If I did this wrong please let me know. I am not sure where that opening at the top goes? Am I putting water inside the bed somewhere? Let me know if anyone knows!

That is pretty much it. I think it was an easy install and I only used my socket. I did not have to trim anything or do anything to make things fit.

Positive
Here are some positive points I see. It is easy to open. It lines up well and was easy to install. It looks like the design was well thought out. THe little D Rings are a nice addition. I still can install some pop up tie downs for the pockets or even if I wanted to do something else like a rack. I guess it would have to fit in those pockets.

Once I lock the tail gate then it seems secure. I did not try to pry it open, but I probably will not attempt. I tried with my hands and I could not so for the casual thief it should deter them.

Negative
With everything there are some down sides. As you can see, from some of the pics, the seals already started to break or tear. I am not sure of that is just normal or if this is a bad thing. I have gone thru the car wash once with it, but I forgot to check afterwards to see if water got in.

I was disappointed becasue I thought you could open the section closests to the cab, but that might be a different model. I was thinking of getting the bakbox, but I guess I cant now.

Also, the slides that hold the cover in place when you have it fully open and want to drive with it. I would have liked to see those made of metal rather than plastic. I am not sure I would trust those on a bump gravel road.

A very minor negative that I see only becase I am slightly OCD is the "grain" on the panels does not line up. When I am outside of the truck I cannot tell, but when I look in the rear view mirror, I can see the lines are not all going in the saem direction or line up. I am sure no one else would notice, but I just thought I would mention it for the fellow OCDers on the forum. I know there are a few out there.

Overall I am happy with my purchase and I would recommend this to others, but with the understanding that it is not perfect. It is a good product, but not perfect.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:10 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2wd Crew Cab
P Rod is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the Reivew, Glad you like it. I am about ready to order mine. It looks good on your Sliver Ram. It should also look good on my Silver Sport. Like you said the positives Far out weight any negitives. Enjoy!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Conventional Eccentric

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat
Rep:220
highlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura abouthighlandchef has a spectacular aura about

Nice review it looks good!

Disclaimer: I'm getting old and my opinions will reflect that fact!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:15 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

The MOPAR 3-panel aluminium cover is cheaper than the BakFlip (at least where I live) and IMHO looks much better. Plus you have the ability to fully lock the cover and tailgate (something you cannot do with the BakFlip). I had the same BakFlip cover on my previous truck (GMC Canyon), and I made my own locking cable to prevent (lazy) thieves from breaking in to the cover.
I had some issues with the seals early on and had a bad experience with the owner at BakFlip (in the U.S.) He wanted me to replace and install the main rubber seals on my own (he didn't want to pay the company that installed it to do the job.) How cheap is that?
My OEM Mopar cover ran me $863.00 installed. BakFlip was around $1000 and Roll-n-Lok was around $1400

The other negative with BakFlip is how the panels rest up against the back window, and how cheap are the rods that support the cover in the open position? They use cheap wire ties to hold the rods in place when not in use.

What I like about the MOPAR cover is I can access the front OR the back of the box simply by lifting either panel. You cannot do that with the BakFlip mode.

Last edited by blackpearldodge; 07-07-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew w/Rambox
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:36
moose3 is on a distinguished road

[The MOPAR 3-panel aluminium cover is cheaper than the BakFlip (at least where I live) and IMHO looks much better. Plus you have the ability to fully lock the cover and tailgate (something you cannot do with the BakFlip). I had the same BakFlip cover on my previous truck (GMC Canyon), and I made my own locking cable to prevent (lazy) thieves from breaking in to the cover.

How is it that the Bakflip doesn't lock? You have to open the tailgate to open it? Locked tailgate means locked Bakflip.

My OEM Mopar cover ran me $863.00 installed. BakFlip was around $1000 and Roll-n-Lok was around $1400

I paid $850 for my Bakflip F1 for Rambox.

They use cheap wire ties to hold the rods in place when not in use.

This definately could be better