DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose3 View Post
[The MOPAR 3-panel aluminium cover is cheaper than the BakFlip (at least where I live) and IMHO looks much better. Plus you have the ability to fully lock the cover and tailgate (something you cannot do with the BakFlip). I had the same BakFlip cover on my previous truck (GMC Canyon), and I made my own locking cable to prevent (lazy) thieves from breaking in to the cover.

How is it that the Bakflip doesn't lock? You have to open the tailgate to open it? Locked tailgate means locked Bakflip.
It's still pretty easy to get into a locked tailgate when the BakFlip is installed. I could easily place a coat-hanger in to catch the cable. Now...no cover is 100% break-in proof - I realize that. And for any trucks (Dodge or otherwise) that DO NOT have a locking tailgate, this cover offers no protection against unwanted thiefs.
And what I mean by not being able to fully lock the cover and tailgate is this: The MOPAR cover has 2 lock mechanisms (on the top of the cover) that allows the cover to be locked via a key. The tailgate (whether it has a locking tailgate or not) is locked via the cover (there is a u-shaped bar that gets riveted to the tailgate). The cover has a pin-like piece that locks into the u-shaped piece on the tailgate. Thus the tailgate and cover are FULLY integrated as one and LOCKED.

Quote:
My OEM Mopar cover ran me $863.00 installed. BakFlip was around $1000 and Roll-n-Lok was around $1400

I paid $850 for my Bakflip F1 for Rambox.
I'm in Canada, quoting Canadian pricing!

Quote:
They use cheap wire ties to hold the rods in place when not in use.

This definately could be better
Ditto!

Since I now have owned both the OEM MOPAR cover and the BakFlip cover, I feel I can post an honest opinion. And it is just that - an opinion. I'm not trying to discourage anybody here from buying a BakFlip (or other) cover. I'm just letting you know what my experience has been with each cover. I really like the MOPAR cover and how I can access either the front or the back of the bed without opening the entire cover. You cannot do that with the BakFlip.

Last edited by blackpearldodge; 07-07-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2011, 11:52 PM

Another con with the BakFlip is in order to open the cover you must first open the tailgate. A con with the MOPAR cover is in order to open the tailgate you must first open the cover! (that is if you have the u-shaped clamp installed on the tailgate otherwise, you do not have to open the MOPAR cover first in order to open the tailgate.) My truck has the u-shaped clamp installed.
Each has their good qualities and their drawbacks.

I can post some pics if anybody is interested in seeing the MOPAR cover installed. It sits further out (to the edges of the box) versus the BakFlip, which sits almost inside the bed rail caps. It looks like bed rails could still be used with the BakFlip cover...but you could not use them with the MOPAR cover.

Hope this information is helpful to somebody!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:32 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Crew Cab
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Rep:81
gregster will become famous soon enough

Quote:
[The MOPAR 3-panel aluminium cover is cheaper than the BakFlip (at least where I live) and IMHO looks much better. Plus you have the ability to fully lock the cover and tailgate (something you cannot do with the BakFlip). I had the same BakFlip cover on my previous truck (GMC Canyon), and I made my own locking cable to prevent (lazy) thieves from breaking in to the cover.

How is it that the Bakflip doesn't lock? You have to open the tailgate to open it? Locked tailgate means locked Bakflip.

My OEM Mopar cover ran me $863.00 installed. BakFlip was around $1000 and Roll-n-Lok was around $1400

I paid $850 for my Bakflip F1 for Rambox.

They use cheap wire ties to hold the rods in place when not in use.

This definately could be better

Bakflip F1 for $850 Canadian?? That would be fantastic. Action Van and Truck in Toronto just quoted me $1300. They want $940 for the Bakflip G2. Pretty steep, but I cant find anyone else around Toronto who carries them.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:13 PM

Each cover out there has good and bad points. As long as you are happy with the cover, that is all that matters. I wasn't very impressed with the Bakflip product. This is my first Dodge product, and I really, really like the OEM cover. At least I don't have to worry about the rubber seal cracking, like it can with Bakflip.

IMHO I would never recommend the Bakflip product to anyone. Some of the products used, and/or the design makes it look cheaper than some of the other products out there.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:39 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew w/Rambox
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:36
moose3 is on a distinguished road

As far as security goes, I think you are looking at breaking in all wrong. You are assuming that a theif knows how the cover on your truck works. If they were goign to break into a Bakflip a box cutter would be the method of choice, not a coat hanger.

I like the fact that my Bakflip combined with the electric tailgate lock is secured everytime I lock my doors, no keys needed.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
As far as security goes, I think you are looking at breaking in all wrong. You are assuming that a theif knows how the cover on your truck works. If they were goign to break into a Bakflip a box cutter would be the method of choice, not a coat hanger.

I like the fact that my Bakflip combined with the electric tailgate lock is secured everytime I lock my doors, no keys needed.
Not sure what good a box cutter would be? I'm assuming you are suggesting cutting the rubber that connects 2 panels together? The owner of Bakflip told me you cannot gain access simply by cutting this rubber joint.
For those that do not have a locking tailgate (or forget to lock it), they have only 50% security. A thief will always take the easiest path of entry...and this could mean the tailgate (check to see if it is open).

The only point I'm trying to make is there are other covers, for the same or close to same price, that offer your full security (or better security) over the Bakflip.

I respect the fact you have a Bakflip (I did too). Please do not get upset or angry with my opinion. You like your cover. Great. I didn't like mine. For my Dodge, I like the OEM cover. It locks with a key and fully locks the tailgate to the cover. The Bakflip does not offer this level of security. I can access the box in two separate locations with only having to lift ONE cover to gain access. The Bakflip does not offer you the ability to access the front of the box without first opening the entire cover.

Last edited by blackpearldodge; 07-10-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Rep:30
Al E. Gator is on a distinguished road

Never heard of an OEM cover until I read this thread. At the time I was researching BakFlip was the best suited to my needs. I had a few problems with my G2 but they were minor and I took care of them myself. I think concept is great but the execution could be better for the price they charge. If I was to do it over knowing about the OEM cover I might have looked at it.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:05 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crew w/Rambox
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:36
moose3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpearldodge View Post
Not sure what good a box cutter would be? I'm assuming you are suggesting cutting the rubber that connects 2 panels together? The owner of Bakflip told me you cannot gain access simply by cutting this rubber joint.
For those that do not have a locking tailgate (or forget to lock it), they have only 50% security. A thief will always take the easiest path of entry...and this could mean the tailgate (check to see if it is open).

If you aren't going to remember to lock the tailgate, then you aren't going to remember to lock the cover, So with the electric lock, advantage Bakflip, if you have no lock on your gate, advantage OEM. If you have the standard lock, I personally think it is a push. I don't think that if either is locked, and a theif doesn't know what is inside, he is going to get in either, he is going to move on.

The only point I'm trying to make is there are other covers, for the same or close to same price, that offer your full security (or better security) over the Bakflip.

To really stamp the OEM cover, how about a Rambox option? Guess it wouldn't matter if they were free, wouldn't be on my truck. Yes I know I am a small minority with the extremely exclusive Rambox. (maybe change in the next year with the expanded availability)

I respect the fact you have a Bakflip (I did too). Please do not get upset or angry with my opinion. You like your cover. Great. I didn't like mine. For my Dodge, I like the OEM cover. It locks with a key and fully locks the tailgate to the cover. The Bakflip does not offer this level of security. I can access the box in two separate locations with only having to lift ONE cover to gain access. The Bakflip does not offer you the ability to access the front of the box without first opening the entire cover.
I am 6'4" and with the height of the box sides and I have step bars, accessing the front of the box is a pain, regardless of the cover, so you would not use the front of the box for quick and easy access.

One more thing, the Bakflip will fold up against the back of the cab, so I have nearly complete use of the bed without having to take anything off the truck and store it.

I am not upset at all by your differing opinion, infact I think it is adventagious for two constructive and differing opinions to be out there for people to view and make judgement on their own purchasing decision.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Rep:11
Hiker Guy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpearldodge View Post
The MOPAR 3-panel aluminium cover is cheaper than the BakFlip (at least where I live) and IMHO looks much better. Plus you have the ability to fully lock the cover and tailgate
Simple question. Looking at the Mopar site, I do find a 4 panel hard cover, not a 3 panel. Item 82211298. , but minimal information on it. The pictures indicate a lock and key, and requires a "rail kit".

Is this what you have (but you said 3 panel)?

Thx

PS....there is one in stock nearby, so this is of interest! :-)
Old 07-11-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker Guy View Post
Simple question. Looking at the Mopar site, I do find a 4 panel hard cover, not a 3 panel. Item 82211298. , but minimal information on it. The pictures indicate a lock and key, and requires a "rail kit".

Is this what you have (but you said 3 panel)?

Thx

PS....there is one in stock nearby, so this is of interest! :-)

MY FAULT: I have the 4-Panel MOPAR cover. I totally confused that with my Bakflip cover, which was 3-panels (4 panels actually! 3 large panels and 1 small panel at the front (non-folding)).
This is the part #: 82211297ab

Sorry everyone for the confusion this may have caused.

Information I found:
This Hard Folding Tonneau Cover is lightweight and made with a durable aluminum frame. The structural foam panels are rust and corrosion resistant and features a patented four-panel design. Opening and stacking the hinged cover from the rear is a simple two-step process that takes just seconds. The front panel also opens for easy access to cargo stored in the front of the bed. Sturdy, flush-mount locks (front and rear) secures both tailgate and cover.Black, Folding, for Crew Cab 5.7' bed. Complete Kit (includes installation kit; rail system, hardware and lock package)

Last edited by blackpearldodge; 07-11-2011 at 02:06 PM.