DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
M.Scipione is on a distinguished road

I'm going to take a shot a getting this replaced, can't hurt to try...

Look how bad this looks....

I offered to pay shipping costs to switch it with one that doesn't have this flaw.
I don't think it is normal because the one FedEx dented for me didn't look like that.
Sponsored links
Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Hemi Crew
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearlcoat
Rep:10
MoparDude is on a distinguished road

Great thread... The thing I am not liking about the Mopar cover is it's not flush with the bed rails, to me that matters. The fact that you have to use a key on the bed cover to secure it doesn't appeal to me either. Thanks for the pictures Blackpearldodge, helps me decide... I have looked at so many covers I have driven myself crazy!

I am going to get the Backflip G2 and install the remote electric tailgate lock, seems like the most logical choice for me. I like the fact that in the odd situation where you need maximum cargo carrying capacity in a jiffy the G2 makes more sense. If someone wants in to your cover (thievin' bastards), regardless of design, they'll get in. I do like the latching mechanism on the Mopar version however.

Once again, thanks for helping make my decision, I am sure you've helped many others as well!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Hemi Crew
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearlcoat
Rep:10
MoparDude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Scipione View Post
I'm going to take a shot a getting this replaced, can't hurt to try...

Look how bad this looks....

I offered to pay shipping costs to switch it with one that doesn't have this flaw.
I don't think it is normal because the one FedEx dented for me didn't look like that.
Ya... that would drive me nuts for sure! Good luck!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:15 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
edd5 is on a distinguished road

Until I saw this post and pix I didn't even realize there was a diagonal grain on the fiberglass panels. I guess I never looked at it from that angle. At any rate, the diagonal grain on my 4 panel fibermax all appears to be going the same direction. Perhaps a few other members can check theirs and let you know if theirs line up. I'm not altogether sure its a build quality problem, but I hope the bakflip guys take care of this for you.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM

The owner of the company responded that they will switch out the top for me.

Third times the charm?!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparDude View Post
Great thread... The thing I am not liking about the Mopar cover is it's not flush with the bed rails, to me that matters. The fact that you have to use a key on the bed cover to secure it doesn't appeal to me either. Thanks for the pictures Blackpearldodge, helps me decide... I have looked at so many covers I have driven myself crazy!

I am going to get the Backflip G2 and install the remote electric tailgate lock, seems like the most logical choice for me. I like the fact that in the odd situation where you need maximum cargo carrying capacity in a jiffy the G2 makes more sense. If someone wants in to your cover (thievin' bastards), regardless of design, they'll get in. I do like the latching mechanism on the Mopar version however.

Once again, thanks for helping make my decision, I am sure you've helped many others as well!
You are welcome.
I actually don't mind the way the OEM cover sits above the bed rails.
The locking feature of this cover is what sold me in the first place. When I had the Bakflip (on my Canyon), I had devised a make-shift locking cable so the rear of the cover could not be pried upwards. Any thief that wants to get in bad enough WILL get in... even if s/he has to cause a substantial amount of damage. But I believe most thieves will only spend a small amount of time trying to break in... so the locking cable I made would probably scare off a thief.
I also like the fact the OEM cover "locks" into the tailgate, so I am still protected if I happen to forget to lock the tailgate (screwed if I forget to lock the cover. LOL)
Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Scipione View Post
The owner of the company responded that they will switch out the top for me.

Third times the charm?!
Glad to hear the owner made things right. I remember when I had to make contact with the owner for an issue I was having with the rubber gasket (the seal that runs the length of the cover, on the outside)... he was going to send me the parts, but I would have to reinstall myself. I said "Forget that!" It was under warranty, so I took it back to the place I had it installed at and made them deal with the issues. They ended up putting on a new cover (after they did some damage to the cover/parts.)

The pattern in your cover would drive me nuts. Talk about a lack of quality control. My Bakflip cover didn't have a pattern running in the direction like yours is... the panels all had the same pattern, and the pattern ran front to back, not angular.

The Bakflip is a good cover (IMHO). It's not a great cover though (not for the price us Canadians pay!!!)
There are three flaws I see with this cover: 1.) You cannot lock it, 2.) The top rubber seal will start to wear after many folding/unfolding cycles. This strip can be replaced, but it is not the easiest thing to conquer, 3.) I don't like how the cover "rests" against the back window. Sure, you have almost 100% access to your bed, but you also lose almost 100% visibility out your back window. If I really need too, I can loosen a few bolts and remove my cover.

Each of us has different tastes, just my opinion.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:37 AM

Well, they did replace the top for me... with ANOTHER DEFECTIVE TOP!

They told me the grain was wrong on the last one because these panels have a top/bottom. If they get mixed and matched you get screwball grain patterns.

No quality control whatsoever.

You would think before sending the thing 3000 miles on a fedex truck they would open the box to check if it was correct.

Lets see, check the thing before shipping... 15 minutes.

Just ship it and hope it's ok... $120 or so?

I'm really fuming right now.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd5 View Post
I'm not altogether sure its a build quality problem, but I hope the bakflip guys take care of this for you.
It is, this was comfirmed by customer service at Bak.

They have the fiberglass sheet upside down which makes the grain for that panel different.

So, my cover has 3 panels. Any top they send to me has the same probability of being correct as you have at flipping a coin and getting "heads" 3 times.

Not good.

Of course we are talking about a 60 pound coin, being shipped 3000 miles before anyone will know the result.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:44 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: grey
Rep:17
edd5 is on a distinguished road

Hmm, mines got 4 panels, so I must have got heads 4 times in a row, everything aligns. But seriously, I thought the panel grain was side to side across the bed, I didn't even look for or see a diagonal grain pattern until you pointed it out. At least Bak is trying to work with you, maybe 3rd time will be the charm.

For the guy saying it doesn't lock, maybe not by itself, but it is locked down. After you latch down the back panel you have to open the tailgate to get the cover open, and the tailgate locks. So, it doesn't have a separate lock, but it is secure.