DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
M.Scipione is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd5 View Post
Hmm, mines got 4 panels, so I must have got heads 4 times in a row, everything aligns. But seriously, I thought the panel grain was side to side across the bed, I didn't even look for or see a diagonal grain pattern until you pointed it out. At least Bak is trying to work with you, maybe 3rd time will be the charm.

You can see a grain no matter which angle you view the truck from, problem is at any angle you can see one is different!

The trick seems to be getting one assembled by Jose.
If yours has a sticker that it was made by the "other" guy, it may well have this defect.

No response from Bak yet, hopefully just because it is the weekend.

Julian usually responds right away so I am a little worried about this one.

I am sure it is as frustrating for him as it is for me, and they have been really good about trying to correct problems up to this point.

Hopefully there is another attempt and someone makes sure it is right next time.
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2012, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
edd5 is on a distinguished road

Now that you mention it I do recall seeing a sticker on it with made by Jose. Sounds like they need to give the other guy a little training.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:56 AM

It's pretty pathetic that I have seen enough tops from them to know that.

Can't sleep tonight. I am out over $800, easily the most expensive mod I have done; and I feel like I am being held hostage.

It has been over a month, and I am constantly watching tracking numbers, scheduling pick ups, driving 30 miles out of my way to get these defective tops from FedEx and losing sleep hoping this will work out the next time.

In the meantime every time I lay eyes on my $40,000 truck I get a knot in my stomach from the 15 sq.ft. eye sore that is the middle panel of my tonneau.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:34 PM

BAK is a reputable outfit and I'm sure they will take care of this for you. Appearance does count on these. Here is a pic of the diagonal alignment of my 4 panel. Looking at it from all angles I can see what you mean by grain structure in all directions. The side to side also flows perfectly across the bed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2614.jpg (123.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-07-2012, 01:27 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hmm, mines got 4 panels, so I must have got heads 4 times in a row, everything aligns. But seriously, I thought the panel grain was side to side across the bed, I didn't even look for or see a diagonal grain pattern until you pointed it out. At least Bak is trying to work with you, maybe 3rd time will be the charm.

For the guy saying it doesn't lock, maybe not by itself, but it is locked down. After you latch down the back panel you have to open the tailgate to get the cover open, and the tailgate locks. So, it doesn't have a separate lock, but it is secure.
Hey, edd5, I'm assuming you are referring to me?
Here's what I found with my Bakflip: it is very easy to get a coat-hanger under the rear seal, and then "hook" the release cable. I fixed that issue by running an airline cable inside the square tube that runs the width of the cover. I then secured each side of the cable to the "hooks" in the bed. No way in hell anyone could get in at that point (at least not without doing a lot of damage.)
Another thing I found with the Bakflip is the cover can be shimmied left to right, which means the cover could be opened if the locking pins don't "catch" enough. My OEM cover cannot be moved left to right whatsoever!

I'm not bashing the Bakflip cover, I'm just telling you the experience I had with the cover. I don't feel the cover is worth the money I spent. Although the idea of a cover "folding" onto itself is good, I didn't like how the rubber strip started to show wear, and this wasn't that long after I installed the cover. And I also did not like that the cover has to rest against the rear window in a fully-opened position.

The OEM is not without issues either. I think it would be easy for someone to get into this cover (from the center of the cover, where it does not lock.)
Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpearldodge View Post
Hey, edd5, I'm assuming you are referring to me?
Here's what I found with my Bakflip: it is very easy to get a coat-hanger under the rear seal, and then "hook" the release cable. I fixed that issue by running an airline cable inside the square tube that runs the width of the cover. I then secured each side of the cable to the "hooks" in the bed. No way in hell anyone could get in at that point (at least not without doing a lot of damage.)
Another thing I found with the Bakflip is the cover can be shimmied left to right, which means the cover could be opened if the locking pins don't "catch" enough. My OEM cover cannot be moved left to right whatsoever!

I'm not bashing the Bakflip cover, I'm just telling you the experience I had with the cover. I don't feel the cover is worth the money I spent. Although the idea of a cover "folding" onto itself is good, I didn't like how the rubber strip started to show wear, and this wasn't that long after I installed the cover. And I also did not like that the cover has to rest against the rear window in a fully-opened position.

The OEM is not without issues either. I think it would be easy for someone to get into this cover (from the center of the cover, where it does not lock.)
Some valid points to be sure. If you were going to use a coathanger to hook the release cable you would have to know where it is or spend some time fishing. My cover won't move side to side at all when closed and even if it did the fit is close enough (I have a rambox bed) where you couldn't clear one side of the latch. Bottom line, if someone wants to get into your bed they will probably use a pry bar or tire iron anyways and no cover is going to stand up to that. I sure do like the ease of folding it back though and it looks really nice since its a flush fit with the tops of the ramboxes. To each his own.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 PM

What are you keeping in the bed of your truck? Gold Bars and classified government documents?

The Bakflip is plenty secure as far as I'm concerned, I guess I must live in a really good neighborhood.

Good news, they have agreed to replace the replacement top!

I would bet a million dollars this next top is pristine, the shipping costs back and forth are really starting to add up.

Bak Customer service is top notch and they have been very apologetic and prompt to remedy the issue.
I'm not done yet, but all things considered I am pleased they are addressing this issue and when the dust settles I'm sure I will be happy with my purchase.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Some valid points to be sure. If you were going to use a coathanger to hook the release cable you would have to know where it is or spend some time fishing. My cover won't move side to side at all when closed and even if it did the fit is close enough (I have a rambox bed) where you couldn't clear one side of the latch. Bottom line, if someone wants to get into your bed they will probably use a pry bar or tire iron anyways and no cover is going to stand up to that. I sure do like the ease of folding it back though and it looks really nice since its a flush fit with the tops of the ramboxes. To each his own.
To each his own.
For sure! Since I've had both the Bakflip and the OEM cover, I was hoping my opinion might help someone decide. Each has its good and bad points. And, you are correct, if somebody wants in bad enough all they have to do is destroy the cover. But most thieves would rather not attract attention, so it's a safer bet to assume s/he would try to get in the easiest and quietest way possible.
It's pretty easy for a thief to go to their local mod shop and review how all the different tops open. Once they are armed with the knowledge, getting in to one or more covers would be a breeze.
I still like how I was able to secure the Bakflip with the cable. Downside to that was every time I needed to open the cover I had to remove the cable. Since I rarely kept anything too valuable in the box, I seldom used the cable. But it was a nice to have piece of security.