DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
NORFLA71 is on a distinguished road
Default DIY Dash Brake Controller Install

http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/...ORFLA71/TRUCK/
This project was motivated by the fact that I do not like to drill open holes in expensive panels and have something hanging that both looks ugly and always seems to bang my knee when I get into the truck. I decided to put the controller in the cubby under the radio; it may not look factory, but it functions better than having it hanging under the dash (much easier to reach). I can also remove it if I wish. I did mine in my hotel parking lot in about 20 minutes. All I had was a cordless drill and stepped drill bits, so I worked with what I had. If you have the right tools it will come out a little better. I have a Prodigy, which uses a 3020-P harness. There is also a 3021-P, but the truck side is different and will not fit third generation Rams (at least not mine).

*******Follow my advice: do not plug the harness into the truck until you have installed the controller. You will need the wiggle room********

1. Pull off the radio surround trim. It is only attached with spring clips, just be carefull when prying it off the dash.

2. Unsrew the radio (4 screws), then the cubby (2 screws). Unplug the radio harness and antenna, then set radio aside.

3. Remove the rubber liner from the cubby. From the back (RH side) you will need to drill/cut a hole large enough to fit the controller lead into the cubby.

4. Feed the harness up through the back of the dash, routing the wiring so it will have some give. Trust me; it will be tight enough once everything is connected, and zip ties will not be needed.

5. Push the plug through the hole in the cubby and connect it to your controller. This is why you should not connect it to the truck yet; the plug is a bear to get connected inside the cubby.

6. Reattach the radio harness and antenna, screw the cubby and radio back into the dash, and reattach the dash trim. Do not put the controller back into the cubby until the trim is back in place; the brake switch on mine is lower than the trim, which interferes with units operations.

7. Recheck to ensure you are happy with the way it looks in the dash. Finally, connect your harness to the truck's connector and you are done.

I still have room left over for small objects. Prodigie's have a hump at the top of the controller, so it sticks out. There are controllers out there that are flat and will fit much nicer inside the cubby, almost flush. I like the Prodigy and will deal with it sticking out a little.

Last edited by NORFLA71; 06-28-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-01-2011, 02:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

I think you did a great write up and if the photos were posted it would be perfect. Having to jump off to a link isn't the best.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
tooldad is on a distinguished road

I wish someone would make a flush mount aftermarket brake controller. I want mine dash mounted too.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
NORFLA71 is on a distinguished road

I would post pics but am having an issue with PayPal and can't become a premium member right now.

I found a couple of controllers that fit very nice, but I only trust Tekonsha products, and haven't found one that was a nice fit yet.

The controller works very well and is very easy to reach now.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Blue
Rep:3944
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

Being a supporting member has nothing to do with posting pics. Open up a free Photobucket account and copy & paste the IMG codes. You can't probably do it now since too much time has elapsed to edit your how to but I can help you.

P.S. Moving this to the Knowledge Base.