DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
dhopkins is on a distinguished road
Default Lifetime Warrenty Question

Hi all, I have a 09 1500 quad sport 4x4 hemi that is all stock. I have recently started getting a check engine light when I accel. hard i.e. passing. The code is listed below. I just wanted to know if this should be covered under the Lifetime Powertrain or not. I know asking the dealler is the fastest way but I have found that my local dealler likes to say no so they can charge you. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

P1004-SHORT RUNNER VALVE CONTROL PERFORMANCE

Theory of Operation The engine performance and power output is enhanced through the use of the “short runner valve” (SRV) system. The SRV system allows the intake charge air to bypass the long intake manifold runners between the intake manifold plenum and the intake manifold interface to the cylinder heads by providing a shorter runner directly between the plenum and the cylinder head interface The SRV position is controlled by a pneumatic/spring actuator and electronic solenoid valve. When the solenoid is not energized (the “rest” position), the SRV is held in the closed position. When the solenoid is energized the SRV is moved and held in its opened position. There is a set of enable conditions including a minimum engine coolant and ambient temperature, SRV enable, and Powertrain Coordinator load enable condition. If any of these conditions are not met, then the SRV valve is de-energized (closed).
• When Monitored: With the engine run time above a calibrated value, battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts, ECT within a specific range, and the Short Runner Valve Assembly (SRV) control active.
• Set Condition: The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) compares the circuit feedback to a calibrated closed range, between 75% & 85% Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) duty cycle, when the circuit is de-energized or to a calibrated open range, between 35% & 55% PWM duty cycle, when the circuit is energized. If the value is determined to be out of the calibrated range in either the de-energized, greater than 85% duty cycle or less than 75% duty cycle, or energized, greater than 55% duty cycle or less than 35% duty cycle, state for more than a calibrated amount of time, this DTC will set.

Possible Causes

(F344) ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
(K237) SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K237) SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
(K238) SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
(K238) SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) ASSEMBLY

NUMBER:
TSB #18-016-09

GROUP:
Vehicle Performance

DATE: May 15, 2009

SUBJECT:
MIL Illumination Or Stored Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) for: P1004 Or P2016 Or P2017
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replacing the Short Runner Valve (SRV), SRV connector, wiring
pigtail, and adding a new stud for a tie strap.
MODELS:
2009 (DS) Ram Truck (1500)
2009 (DH) Ram Trucks (1500/2500)
2009 (DC) Cab Chassis (3500)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to 2009 vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (Sales
code EZC, EZD or EZH) built before January 22, 2009 (MDH0122XX).
Sponsored links
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2589
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

How the heck did the dealer get away without doing Short Runner Valve RRTs ??

I see that this is your 2nd post
So Welcome to this ForumZ,

you should go to this site below, look at the left side of the page & type in your VIN#, where it reads recalls, it may also give you RRTs, TSBs, & recalls. When you next go to your dealership request that all 3 things be done that apply to your Ram, always be polite, it goes a long way
https://www.ramtrucks.com/hostb/crossbrand/owners/en/

If they should try to defer you, ask to see the SERVICE MANAGER, if it continues, ask to see the GENERAL MANAGER
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

GTyankee-
Thank you for the welcome.
The issue that they tried to tell me is that since the is over the 36K actually just over 55K that the RRT & TSB will be at my cost. I know if it is a actual recall they have to take care of it.
That is why I come here to ask people here that deal with items like this if they are trying to screw me or if they are telling the truth.
Thank you for the link to the site too.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2589
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I am afraid that your are correct, TSBs & RRTs that are not SAFETY related are charged as normal billing on parts & service

When my 36,000 miles was about to come up, i bought the Extended MAXIMUM CARE Lifetime warranty, now IF they charge me for some work that is covered under that warranty, about a month later i receive a reimbursement check, i have one for a exhaust manifold that cracked earlier this month, i paid for it, & was reimbursed
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I was affraid that was the case that I was getting stuck with the bill as I only have the Lifetime Powertrain Warrenty that came with the truck.
Thank you for your help though
Old 06-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

I would argue that this is part of the engine and covered by the lifetime warranty. If rejected, I would then contact Chrysler

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/...2Findex_en.jsp
Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 PM
erm

I would also argue this is part of your lifetime warranty. I'd have them show you where, in that warranty, this item is specifically excluded.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
notnks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to notnks

The service manager at the dealer I have to deal with, has always been painfully truthful with me, more my pain than his. He told me that the "Life time warranty" only covers internally oiled components. Meaning the engine it self, tranny and rear. I think any dealer you go to will tell you the same thing, you get to pay for it.
You could always trade it in on a new one!! You will have to trade though, no one wants used any more, I've tried to sell mine for 6 weeks and haven't gotten a nibble.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough

That should definitely be part of the max care warranty, which I also have. I mean, there's not too much that isn't covered under max care, with the exception of wear items and I guess cosmetic issues.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank you for the responces. I think I will try to argue the point to see if I can get them to move.
I don't have the MaxCare I only have the Lifetime Powertrain that was provided on the 09 models. That is why I question what it truely covers.
I would love to trade it in on a new one but I only owe a little under 20K on a 40K truck with a trade in value of 21K. I don't think that I can find a deal like I got the first time at least not right now in my area.