DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default Rear leveling kit available

I saw this somewhere else on here but wanted to repost as I can't find it again and seems like alot of people are looking for this. A 2" rear drop/leveling kit is available from a company called otto-max (you can use google and email them). I emailed them and they emailed me back in about 10 minutes.... here's what they said:

ME "Hi, do you make rear lowering springs for the 2010 ram 1500 quad cabs? I'm looking to level off my truck by dropping the rear about 1.5" to 2" instead of using a leveling kit on the front. If you do have them could you send me more info, pricing, possibly pictures? Do shocks or anything else need to be replaced as well? Will it effect payload/towing? I'm not worried about ride comfort, although I wouldn't think it would change much. Thanks in advance."

THEM "Hi Sean, we have the kits in stock, it is a 2 drop which includes shocks and does increase your payload somewhat, and your cost would be 390.00 for the kit plus freight."

Not a bad price including shocks, and an increase in payload, win win win... All things considered I'll still probably try cutting my stock springs first as I'm a cheap *ss, and if it's screwed up I'll buy these lol.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: 2010 HEMI Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:62
rarichard will become famous soon enough

I'm considering the same myself but am torn on getting ridetech airbags or hellwig airbag, althouh truly I want a combo of the both, hellwig has nice no cut required brackets and ridetech requires cutting off the top hat of the lower spring perch. It doesn't affect the mounting of a spring, but I just can't stand cutting up oem stuff.

I'm thinking of just cutting the rear stock springs myself. I happen to have a crew cab though, really don't think there's a noticeable difference even if I did end up getting a set for a QC. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig either.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:249
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info. I've been waiting on groundforce to come out with their qc/cc 2" drop kit. When I called last year they said "early this year" but still nothing. maybe if more people keep calling them they will see that there is a market for it.

I'll do some googling and see what kind of reviews I can find on Otto-max.

Stage 2 is underway by L&M Customs & HHP
Old 05-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

can't find hardly any places that sell the kit but it was at the SEMA show. best I could do is $338.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index....ducts_id=10286

I'm going to give GF one last call monday and if they don't have a good date I'll try this kit for you guys. I have to return my summit u/d crank damper that won't fit anyway.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

Here is the Otto-Max site!
http://www.otto-max.com/new-products.html
Old 05-10-2011, 03:55 PM

Vehicle: 2010 HEMI Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: SPORT
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:62
rarichard will become famous soon enough

I couldn't see on the site the last update so I wonder if they actually have these yet. The first link with the $338 price has wierd description for the part including the words lower front end. I can't buy from a site that doesn't know the products well.

I wonder what the hell is taking these companies months to produce the simplest spring upgrade ever imagineable. the part literally takes a half hour to remove and install once the truck is jacked and wheels off. Why does it take so long to produce these?

Let us know when you get them and how they turn out. I was very close to just ordering an extra set of factory springs for $150 for the pair and just cutting them down. Keep the stock shocks and all. Just replace them a couple years down the road when they get worn.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:58 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The company Otto-max emailed me telling me they had them a week ago, so according to them they currently have them in stock, I'm not sure about that website posted above... If I were going to buy them I'd call otto-max and order directly through them, and make sure you get the right product for a few extra bucks, and then I'm sure they could help you out if you had any issues with it as well.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

ok. I just ordered mine from SDtrucksprings. $363 shipped. I called Otto-max first and explained my reservations about ordering from SDtruck b/c of their website write up. The otto-max guy said it's been messed up for a while and he's asked them multiple time to fix it but "they are really busy" but rest assured I will get the right kit. I didnt' find out a shipped price direct from Otto-max but it prob would've been a lot higher b/c they are in Canada. SDtruck is in NY.

anyway, the otto-max springs are rated at 257 lbs/inch vs the factory 220 lbs/inch...so the springs are about 17% stiffer. he went on to say that ride quality is unaffected but the little bit of rear-end sag some get with heavier loads is eliminated. Being such and easy swap I'll install these ASAP and let you all know.

Last edited by CHVYKLR; 05-10-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 AM

Cool, interested to see how it turns out. Randy with otto-max (seems like a good guy) sent me pics of this kit, I'm attempting to attach them to this post...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (6.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (7.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (6.2 KB, 79 views)

Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Kit arrived today! Springs are powder coated black and a little heavier than the stockers. Shocks are Sensatrac. Overall quality looks good.

Order placed the night of the 10th and UPS delivered on the 16th and it's even the correct kit!

So I started by measuring the rear height at the wheel-well center...38 1/4. I know I should've taken a before picture but I guess I can use one of the ones I already have.

Next, I chocked both front tires and jacked up the rear about 6" placed jackstands under the frame rails as far aft as possible right up against the fwd control arm mount.
The tires came off next and then the lower shock bolts came out. Keep in mind I left my floor jack under the rear diff this whole time too. Next, I started to lower the floor jack to let the axle drop so the springs could be removed. I did this slowly and rechecked the jack stands just to be safe (I ended up using 2 jackstands per side for a little overkill). You just have to keep lowering the axle and the spings will fall right out.

Reuse the rubber tops on the coils and install the new springs. Slowly start to raise the floorjack rechecking the coil alignment. This requires going back and forth a few times.

Once I had the springs seated it was time to remove the upper shock bolt on each side. These two bolts were the biggest PITA ever. The nut on the inside is in a very small space. I don't have any stubby wrenches so I had to cut one of my 13/16 boxend wrenches in half. It's also pretty hard to seat the boxend on the nut. Anyway, once I figured it out I got the hang of it.

Installed the new shocks and there was a little bit of side-to-side play. Luckily I have tons of extra hardware so I put a washer on each side of the shock to shim it up. Randy did say that some people were having to shim the shocks but he thought it was only on the '10 and '11s. Seems like they should fix this if they know about it. Lastly, put in the lower shock bolt and reinstall the wheels.

I thought it was going to be about an hour but with the upper shock bolt being a PITA and cutting a wrench in half it ended up taking about 2 hours. Initiall measurements only show about 7/8" drop. I'll wait about a week and remeasure to see if they settle some.

Pics of the stock and new springs side-by-side and of the truck to follow tomorrow. It was too dark when I finished up.