DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 dodge ram 2500 4x4
Color: white
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
dale lund is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission problem and question 46re

I hope someone has dealt with this for and can give me some advice.
I have been banging my head on this trying to figure this out and I am not getting anywhere so I am about to take it to a dodge or transmission shop. I had a throttle valve cable break on me so I R&R with another one made the adjustment on it and drove it to check it and seems to be shifting fine in all of the gears except reverse and It seems to be rough on low speed turns I did change the oil installed ATF plus 4 synthitic lube in it and also adjusted the front and rear bands as per manual directions i drove it for a short distance and everything was working but it still needed the throttle valve cable adjusted. well to make a long story short why would I have a reverse before and not have on now? do you think it could be Rear (low & Reverse band broke or something else.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale lund View Post
I hope someone has dealt with this for and can give me some advice.
I have been banging my head on this trying to figure this out and I am not getting anywhere so I am about to take it to a dodge or transmission shop. I had a throttle valve cable break on me so I R&R with another one made the adjustment on it and drove it to check it and seems to be shifting fine in all of the gears except reverse and It seems to be rough on low speed turns I did change the oil installed ATF plus 4 synthitic lube in it and also adjusted the front and rear bands as per manual directions i drove it for a short distance and everything was working but it still needed the throttle valve cable adjusted. well to make a long story short why would I have a reverse before and not have on now? do you think it could be Rear (low & Reverse band broke or something else.
If your reverse band broke then you wouldn't have a second or thrid gear, the forward drum is for first gear and the reverse drum is for 2nd, 3rd, and reverse.
Most likely your cable is not properly adjusted, I do have the service/rebuild manual for the 46 series transmission as I have the 46RH. If you want the manual send me your email and I will send it to you no problem.

Like I said I believe it's only your cable that is causing the issues, it wouldn't be a TPS else wise it would shift funny, it's not the bands cause like I said you would only be driving in first gear. It's probably just that cable in need of adjustment. Also check the cables that run from the Throttle body to the transmission. Keep me updated on what happens.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Wolf907 is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 97 ram 1500 4x2. its a nice ride after the transmission warms up. sometimes it feels like it doesn't want to let go of first gear when under light throttle pressure. its not slipping i don't think. it just feels funny. i have never done any adjustments on a transmission before, was wondering what specific tools ill need replace the filter and make proper adjustments on those bands. i understand that ill need a torxwrench, torque rachet, and a half inch square socket? please help me!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:177
richmond has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond has a spectacular aura about

Try this first please. Go get a bottle of LUCAS transmission lubricant for sticking valves (drain quart out, put new Lucas in). Run it for several days before you do anything (see if you have a stuck valve or weak solenoid). R...
Old 10-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)

Guys ATF 4 is for diesel automatics only..................R...
Old 10-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Wolf907 is on a distinguished road

i got the truck almost 3 weeks ago. it was a quart low so i did add lucas and it seems to still be doin whatever it does when shifting from first to second and second to third.
:/
Old 10-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I'd take it to a tranny guy and see if he can do any band adjustments, but sounds like a solenoid issue to me. R...
Old 10-06-2013, 12:27 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond View Post
Guys ATF 4 is for diesel automatics only..................R...
ATF+4 Is not just for the Diesels. It is Chryslers automatic transmission fluid. For all Chrysler Automatic Transmissions.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Now ramvan2500 is your tranny guy, I see him on this post. OK all Chryslers including older right...........R...

Last edited by richmond; 10-06-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf907 View Post
I just bought a 97 ram 1500 4x2. its a nice ride after the transmission warms up. sometimes it feels like it doesn't want to let go of first gear when under light throttle pressure. its not slipping i don't think. it just feels funny. i have never done any adjustments on a transmission before, was wondering what specific tools ill need replace the filter and make proper adjustments on those bands. i understand that ill need a torxwrench, torque rachet, and a half inch square socket? please help me!!!
If it is having issues on the 1-2 shift then it is going to probably be in need of a front band adjustment. However it could also be the front servo. Unlikely it is the front servo though because pressure is applied from the back via the accumulator so then it could be a problem with the accumulator... Wait, if it is the accumulator then you would have a quicker and much firmer shift into 2nd.

So first thing I think you should do is grab a torque wrench and adjust the front band. See if that helps at all, most of the time that actually helps solve the problem.

You may or may not need a Torx attachment, some of the transmissions have a square head instead of a Torx. But the idea is to loosen the locking nut and then back off the band adjuster just half a turn and then torque the band down to 72 inch lbs. After that you want to back-off the adjuster 2 and 7/8's of a turn and then hold the adjuster and lock the locking nut. Make sure to torque the locking nut to 25 ft-lbs.

I wouldn't put any additives in the transmission such as valve stuff whatever. That isn't going to do anything, I rebuilt enough of these transmissions that I know from experience. The ATF+4 transmission fluid an extreme lubricant and does have some fluid properties to it. The thing that clogs up the valve body is the fine grained metallic powders. There are a series of small strainers (one in the governor on the RH, for the RE it is in the gov sensor. A strainer in the valve body itself, a strainer in the OD and TCC solenoid.) Of course you have a paper element filter that is held onto the valve body by 3 bolts. So it has plenty of filters, but that fine powder will find it's way into the valve body. You have a 1997, at this age it is typical to have transmission problems and generally a small rebuild will work wonders. Replacing seals and rebuilding the valve body and making some small changes to the front servo and the valve body itself will really improve the transmission allot. Example is replacing the front servo with the Sonnax replacement, this eliminates the long sliding 2-3 shift, which by the way sliding shifts will burn out the rear clutch over an extended period of time. Automatics want a firm and quick shift but drivers do not like the "jerkiness" of that. So engineers design the transmission for a softer shift but sadly the transmission isn't going to last very long. Some make it into the 250,000-350,000 mile range

So yea try that, tell me how it goes. Avoid transmission shops by all costs, places setup to repair transmissions rarely even fix it right the first time.