DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-26-2014, 03:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 R/T
Trim Level: R/t
Color: Wht
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:145
Buellrider will become famous soon enoughBuellrider will become famous soon enough
Default Headers and warranty??

I know a dealer has to prove the part caused a failure.... But what to the dealership say to you guys??? Do they give you a bunch of static about them??

2012 R/T
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 - QCSB
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
Vinnie the Wrench is on a distinguished road

Dealers will almost always give you a hard time when dealing with aftermarket parts replacement. I used to work for Chrysler and the things they would say to make customers pay out of pocket when it should have been warranty was incredible. Yet some aftermarket parts you can get from the dealer parts counter and have installed without an issue. Bottom line is they want whats in your wallet!

Just remember it's always about being informed and knowing that the service writers usually have no idea what they are talking about. They arent mechanics, they are salesmen. They want you to pay for repairs because they dont make money off warranty items and are pushed to make the sale pitch to the consumer.

I attached a couple links that go over the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act and its section on implementation of aftermarket items. To sum it up, if they cant prove that the part directly caused a failure, or that the part was improperly installed causing the issue directly, then the warranty by law cannot be voided on the remaining factory parts.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

Key Points:

"..under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure.. "

"..a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty.."

also under the law is this little tidbit, just in case they ever tell you going to another mechanic other than the dealer will void the warranty..

"No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, "This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized 'ABC' dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine 'ABC' parts," and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102(c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of "unauthorized" articles or service."

Hope this helped. Now go get your headers.

"....I will never leave a fallen comrade. I will never surrender though I am the last. If I am taken, I pray for the strength to defy my enemy...." -De Opresso Liber

Last edited by Vinnie the Wrench; 08-26-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:57 PM

Vehicle: 2013 DODGE RAM 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: SILVER
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:16
HammerHead is on a distinguished road

Nice write up, tons of good info.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:54 AM

Buellrider will become famous soon enoughBuellrider will become famous soon enough

Thanx man... I aware of that I'm looking for some individual feedback from members.

2012 R/T
Old 08-27-2014, 10:10 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Copperhead Pearl
Rep:136
Sideshow48 will become famous soon enoughSideshow48 will become famous soon enough

I had headers on my previous '05 Ram and the dealer didn't say anything...even discussed with the service writer once and he indicated there was no issue either.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 - QCSB
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Vinnie the Wrench is on a distinguished road

yeah it just depends where you take it. if it's a mod-friendly dealer they understand the "itch" and can be quite helpful. Theres a Ram dealer by me that sells Duallys lowered on 22" wheels with katzkin leather, as well as lifted Rams on American force wheels with stacks in the back; All warranted by the dealer for parts and install as they buy quality parts and have their own techs put it on.

On the other hand I once went to a dealership further south that tried to tell me (after i did my headers and high flow cats )that adding my exhaust mods would terminate my powertrain warranty. I laughed loud as hell as i walked out of there to never return.

"....I will never leave a fallen comrade. I will never surrender though I am the last. If I am taken, I pray for the strength to defy my enemy...." -De Opresso Liber
Old 08-27-2014, 02:19 PM

Due to my disability my dodge dealer had my lowering kit installed... I just know so many people running them on 4th gens and that's my next mod..

2012 R/T
Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Gothemi89 is on a distinguished road

I asked a member of the service dept at my local dealer about aftermarket parts on my ram and what I could do and keep my warranty, I was told "you can do anything you want to your truck but if it causes an issue its no longer warrantied. So if you put on an intake and oil covers the mass air flow sensor and causes the motor to seize your not covered" I looked at him and just pondered what they planned to say should I ever actually have an issue. When I asked about the Mopar line of parts he said "we warranty your truck and the Mopar parts but if a Mopar part causes an issue its still not a factory part so its not warrantied". I spoke to the GM of the dealership and he told me " you keep your warranty no matter what you do until the warranty expires. But we do not warranty aftermarket parts and ant adverse effects they might have on a vehicle, however if they are the Mopar parts you retain full warranty on vehicle, part, and the combination of the 2".

What Vinnie said is correct, being informed at a dealer is key. If you ever had a real issue you can even call corporate or the Better Business Bureau. You also have dealers that look at modified brand cars/trucks as mobile marketing and will go the extra mile to make sure your modified Mopar keeps going and attracts more business.