DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-09-2011, 01:39 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRam10 View Post
I went with the legal on the front and it isn't that different. Had experience with a car a few years ago where the authority made me peel it off there on the side of the road to make a point. It was within his right to impound or make me remove it according to the city ordanance where I was traveling through. At least he only made me do the drivers window there on the roadside.
I am sorry, but I have to say something here, this is one of my pet peeves. I would not have done it. Arrest me if you want to, officer. You cannot MAKE me do this and you cannot, by law, touch my car without a warrant or permission. So try to do it yourself and you will have a call from my attorney.

I probably would have (politely as possible mind you) told that cop to shove it up his ass. Depending on what I had going on that day. Especially if he was being a dick about it. Its my car, I pay (paid) for it, you WILL NOT tell me what I cant do with it (appearance wise), the only thing you can do is write me a ticket. So write my ticket, I will take it and be on my way.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 07-09-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge
Trim Level: Sport, SLT Lone Star
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl, Black
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:23
Larry832 is on a distinguished road

I put 20% over the back doors and back window but kept the front legal 35% that the dealer applied, the back windows are just colored glass from the factory and not tint like some people think. It is darker colored but has zero heat resistance or any other benefit besides looking darker than the clear glass.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:58 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
I am sorry, but I have to say something here, this is one of my pet peeves. I would not have done it. Arrest me if you want to, officer. You cannot MAKE me do this and you cannot, by law, touch my car without a warrant or permission. So try to do it yourself and you will have a call from my attorney.

I probably would have (politely as possible mind you) told that cop to shove it up his ass. Depending on what I had going on that day. Especially if he was being a dick about it. Its my car, I pay (paid) for it, you WILL NOT tell me what I cant do with it (appearance wise), the only thing you can do is write me a ticket. So write my ticket, I will take it and be on my way.
At the time I was much younger and was in a town notorious for locking up college age kids for no reason and being far from home buckled under the tough ass cop. Today would be a different story.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:16 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

I have 0% and have been pulled over multiple times and haven't been asked about it.
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:56 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram CC
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:22
BB0204 is on a distinguished road

I matched the factory tint on my front two windows and have my windsheild completely tineted with 30%. Makes the truck a whole lot darker and looks real nice. Takes a little getting used to when you drive at night though.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:20 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram CC
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:22
BB0204 is on a distinguished road

By the way I live in NJ and any tint on the front windows is illegal but I have to agree the tint against my Deep Water Blue looks to good.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Canada:
Alberta: Highway Traffic Act
Window glazing

52 (1) Subject to this section, no person shall place or install in a motor vehicle a transparent, translucent or opaque material on or in place of the

(a) windshield glazing, or

(b) side window glazing that is beside or forward of the driver on the right and left hand side of the motor vehicle.

(2) No person shall place or install in a motor vehicle a transparent, translucent or opaque material on or in place of the rear window glazing unless the motor vehicle is equipped with outside rear view mirrors on the left and right of the motor vehicle that comply with the requirements of section 53(2).

(3) Subsections (1) and (2) do not

(a) apply to the equivalent replacement of the glazing installed by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle,

(b) prohibit the use of clear untinted frost shields, or

(c) prohibit the use of window stickers as long as they do not impair the operator’s field of vision or otherwise impair the safe operation of the motor vehicle.

(4) The owner of a motor vehicle shall ensure that the view through all frost shields on the motor vehicle is not impaired by discoloration, scratches or other damage.

(5) No person shall place or install any material on or in place of any window glazing that, by reason of sunlight or the headlights of other vehicles, casts a glare at other vehicles on the highway.

(6) No person shall, after January 1, 1981 operate on a highway a motor vehicle that contains material that is prohibited by this section. RSA 1980 cH-7 s52

Windshield to be clear

126 No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway if the view through the windshield or windows is so obscured by mud, frost, steam or any other thing as to make the driving of the vehicle hazardous or dangerous. RSA 1980 cH-7 s126

-------------------------------------------

FYI for us Albertans.

Although I like the look of tint on a vehicle - and its benefits - I for one do not agree that the front windows on a vehicle should be tintable. Let alone a windshield. OMG.
I had tint on a previous car I owned ('89 Mustang 5.0L). I once got pulled over and was asked whether I knew the tinting, on the front windows, was illegal. I played dumb and said no. He wrote me a $25 ticket and went on my merry way. Shortly thereafter, I decided to remove the tint from the front windows. I felt it wasn't worth the battery of tickets I might receive.

I can understand why it's more of an issue - in hot, hot places like California, Arizona, Florida, etc.) In Canada we get around 3 days of hot weather. Seriously? No. But this year it feels like it. It's been cold and wet. Still waiting for summer to arrive. But seriously...I do understand the benefit if you live somewhere hot.

What I don't agree with is how dark some people choose to go. 5% or 10% IMHO is just way too dark on the front windows. If I can't see you then it becomes an issue. Put yourself in the shoes of law enforcement. They are likely more probable to have their hand on their gun-holster when they approach your driver's door. You really need to give that some thought!!

It's your vehicle. You have to endure the consequences of your actions. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Rep:10
mk3barti is on a distinguished road

I live one Province over in SK and it is the same thing here. No tint on the front is legal. I used to have it on my last 2 vehicles and it isn't worth the headache and the attention as the police here look for it. I am leaving mine alone this time.

Side note - if you do have to remove tint the best way is with a clothes steamer. Takes the glue and tint off at once.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Red
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

I have 5% on my firebird and have never had a cop say anything about it. I'm gonna be putting 5% or 2.5% on the truck soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxHunting View Post
I have 0% and have been pulled over multiple times and haven't been asked about it.
How did you get 0%?
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28
Old 07-09-2011, 06:56 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge 1500 Big Horn Hemi
Color: Dark Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
Skillets is on a distinguished road

I don't think it is 0%. that means there is no light coming though the window. which means no eye sight going out of the window.