DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-09-2011, 02:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram Club Cab 2 Door
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Midnight Blue
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
Sledneck is on a distinguished road
Default Need help with my 6.7 exhaust problem!

Hey everyone,

Just bought a 2011 3500 6.7 Cummins, and reading up on it it scares me after I hear about all this dpf plugging up and the problems that will arise if you dont drive it loaded hard all the time. I live in Canada and we dont have emission checks or standards for our diesels so I was wondering what I need to do to straight pipe me 6.7 by removing the egr and dpf and what ill need to fool the computer so i dont get codes, also approximately how much would all of it cost if it is possible to be done?. I want this machine to run more effieciently and burn less fuel, from what I hear these things can get down to 8 -9 mpgs under a normal load.

Did I screw myself over? Should I hav bought an older 5.9 to escape from these problems? You would think a $70 000 dollar truck would be a lot better for this.

Thanks guys any comments or help would be muchly appreciated
Sponsored links
Old 07-09-2011, 05:18 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:12
11Ram06Daytona is on a distinguished road

The joys of meeting emissions. I haven't done a delete myself yet, but I have done a lot of reading into it. 99% of the people have been happy with the increase in performance & additional MPG's they get after the delete.

Here is my plan of attach. I plan on doing a DPF Delete, replacing the rest of the exhaust & getting an H&S programmer. When you remove the DPF you will need a programmer to eliminate the engine codes.
For the delete pipe you have 2 options. With or without bungs. Personally I would get it without the bungs & store the sensors in my toolbox. Delete pipes range from $100-$250 depending on the company. MBRP & H&S both make complete exhaust kits to include the delete pipe. I will be going with an MBRP setup.

Programmers: There are a lot of them out there. On the higher price range you have H&S. They actually have 3 programmers to choose from. One of them I believe is around $550 and the other two are between 950 & 1100.

EGR: I know H&S has a EGR delete kit. I believe it runs around $150.00. As a side note you can disable the EGR using the H&S programmer.

For the price range depending on the specifics of your programmer you can plan to spend $900 - $1400 for a Programmer, DPF delete pipe & EGR Delete kit.

By the end of August: Recon Smoked Headlights & Roof Markers, 8K HID, 6" Fabtech Long Arm, Amp Research Steps, Fuel - Gauge 20" Wheels, Bakflip cover, H&S MaxxMini, MBRB Exhaust, 2 10" L7's 1500.1 Kicker amp.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:15 AM

awesome thanks! that really helped me out! Does tuning or chipping a diesel damage anything or cause harm to the motor or components? even though it increases efficiency and power
Old 07-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 3500 QC diesel
Color: Patriot blue
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
farmall is on a distinguished road

I got a MBRP delete pipe with bung and a DPF-R module that plugs in under the dash. I think I paid about $550 for both from Xtreme Diesel Performance. This does not give you the option of switching to diffrent power modes. I did not want to increase a bunch of power and put stress on the transmission, etc so this was a great option for me and saved a lot of $$.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:54 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel
Color: Black
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:12
11Ram06Daytona is on a distinguished road

There are a lot of people running high HP tunes without any issues...However it depends on how you drive you vehicle too. With the H&S tuner Maxx & Maxx Mini you can get a addon program to help your transmission. The stock trans doesnt like a lot of power if you have you foot in it all the time.

Personnel opinion if you don't run anything past the 75-100hp range w/ the trans program and are easy on the skinny pedal you wont see any issues. Whats nice with a lot of the tuners now you can change your programming on the fly.

By the end of August: Recon Smoked Headlights & Roof Markers, 8K HID, 6" Fabtech Long Arm, Amp Research Steps, Fuel - Gauge 20" Wheels, Bakflip cover, H&S MaxxMini, MBRB Exhaust, 2 10" L7's 1500.1 Kicker amp.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

My girlfriend has a 5.9 and her dad has a 6.7. People who think they know diesels give me terrible looks when I tell them I'd much rather have the 6.7 with the DPF delete.
I stalled the 6.7 twice in one trip after never stalling anyother diesel truck before. I hated it, her dad hated it.
He has the H&S mini maxx. I cannot wait till they realease a tuner for 03-05 5.9s now. There tuners and software are awesome! By far much better then the DSP, smarty and bullydog that my friends have in their cummins. Thats saying alot cause DSP are really nice tuners. H&S can be tuned on the fly, have a bunch of different gauge options and have alot of cool different options (that alot of other companies have figured out how to control through the vehicles computer)
THe H&S tuners have a stock setting that fools the computer into thinking its always in regeneration. Even though its a "stock" tune you gain nearly 50 hp by removing the DPF, its just clogging the motor up that much. Then it has its 3 standard horsepower tunes, 60,110 and 175 I believe. They will also right you a custom tune depending on your application if you would like.
I'm extremely happy with the H&S setup.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: White w/ Tan Strip
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
flaxbourton is on a distinguished road

With the H&S tuner, is it still necessary to get the EGR delete? I have read that their tuner allows you to disable the EGR, however, I have also read that if you don't physically remove the EGR, it will still send nasty exhaust gases back into your engine.

Also, what is a "bung"? I don't understand the difference between the delete pipes with and without a bung I guess.

Thanks (also, my first post here, yeehaw!)
Old 09-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 2wd
Color: PDA-Light Greystone Pearl
Rep:20
Dooner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaxbourton View Post
With the H&S tuner, is it still necessary to get the EGR delete? I have read that their tuner allows you to disable the EGR, however, I have also read that if you don't physically remove the EGR, it will still send nasty exhaust gases back into your engine.

Also, what is a "bung"? I don't understand the difference between the delete pipes with and without a bung I guess.

Thanks (also, my first post here, yeehaw!)

They make block off plates for both ends of the EGR that fit between it and the gasket. That should take care of anything getting back into the engine. If you are removing it frome the engine, there are block off plates that block the holes.

Bungs are the threaded holes on the exhaust that you sensors screw in to.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: White w/ Tan Strip
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
flaxbourton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooner View Post
They make block off plates for both ends of the EGR that fit between it and the gasket. That should take care of anything getting back into the engine. If you are removing it frome the engine, there are block off plates that block the holes.

Bungs are the threaded holes on the exhaust that you sensors screw in to.
I guess what I was asking is if you get the H&S MiniMaxx and disable the EGR after doing a DPF Delete, do you still need to do the EGR delete with the blockoff plates, or is just disabling it via the tuner sufficient?

For the sensors, on the video's I saw, they had the sensors, such as the oxygen sensor, coming in via a ~1/4" tubing that then plugged into the DPF piping. If you order a dpf delete pipe without the bungs, where does that tubing and sensor go? Do they just hang there, or get zip-tied to the dpf pipe, or what?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 PM

Ya from what I have heard or seen the fuel piping and sensors with need to be zip tied to the frame or some support. BUT... from what I have heard is that if those fuel lines ever do leak some diesel or actually flow it might be smart to get a delete with bungs so the fuel will inject into the pipe rather then the road or whatever. Wont hurt anything just burn a little bit more black smoke.