DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 07 Mega Cab
Trim Level: laramie
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:183
ohmega07 has a spectacular aura aboutohmega07 has a spectacular aura about
Default which diesel motor is best?

i own a 07 hemi mega cab and have been considering upgrading to a cummings, but i am not sure which of the optional motors dodge guys prefer? What would be some pros and cons for the diesels?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

dodge only offers two versions of the 6.7 cummins now. The regular 6.7 and the high output cummins.
Depends on what your looking to do with the truck really.
If your towing a good bit every now and then stick with the regular 6.7, hauling pretty heavy everyother day, you'll enjoy the extra power of the H.O motor.
Hauling everyonce in awhile, stick with the hemi.
The 6.7 is rated 350 hp and 650 ft-lbs torque (with autmatic transmission, 610 with manual)
The 6.7 H.O. is rated at 350 hp still but 800 ft-lb torque, only available in a automatic transmission
Old 07-14-2011, 10:35 PM

thanks, thats a good perspective. What are your thoughts on having a diesel as opposed to hemi for things like gas mileage and longevity? I honestly only tow maybe once a month lately, but i do like the idea of having a truck that will not only get better gas mileage then my hemi, but will last up into the very high mileage ranges.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:37 PM
erm

The consensus from what I've read here and ***************** is that the Dodge guys wish they could still get the 5.9L 24V Cummins.

You'll notice it's "Cummins" not "Cummings"....
Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

If your not going to use the diesel, dont get one IMHO
With the DPF present fuel mileage will be similar to your Hemi and fuel is more expensive.
In the long range diesels will cost your more. Maintenance costs alot more on a diesel motor. An oil change is atleast $65. The price of injectors makes you cringe
The motor itself will last you a half a million miles but you still have a truck with a half a million miles on it
Old 07-15-2011, 01:07 AM

ya, typo.. cummins

ok, i appreciate the different opinions. I guess in the long run there are several factors that i need to ask myself if its really worth it for me personally.

thanks again!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Rep:10
anoldbiker is on a distinguished road

An old friend of mine retired in 1995. He bought a Dodge with the Cummins and in 1996 bought a farm in Missouri where he uses the truck on a daily basis. He does maintain it per the Dodge recommendations. Outside of the banged tailgate, dings in the sides, dull paint and a hole in the seat when he forgot he had pliers in this back pocket, he has over 700,000 on the speedo, and it still goes strong.

What I always think of before buying something:
What is your needs, what are you willing to pay / maintain and how long do you normally keep something ? (I never had a vehicle less than 10 years)
Old 07-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Banned

We have a farm and also a construction company. There have been several Cummins through the years. Right now we have an 05 with 149k miles(plenty of dings scratches and dents) and an 09 that is closing in on 70k miles. Probably some of the best workers we have haha
Old 07-15-2011, 08:17 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

If you're looking at a diesel, have a good look at your local emissions testing requirements. Some places test diesels, some dont. If you're looking to buy a newer (07.5+) then you're looking at the 6.7L. Now, these motors are hampered by the emissions equipment, but if you're not in a county/state that does diesel testing, you can delete the DPF and EGR cooler system and you'd be amazed at the power you can unleash.

Yes, diesels are more expensive up front and maintenance costs more, but a diesel also requires LESS maintenance, and the regular maintenance goes a lot further than on a gas job.

If you're looking for the BEST cummins out there, then you want a 2006-2007.5 5.9L common rail; it has the best adaptability for modding, is 98% bullet proof, and doesn't have all the emissions crap that kills the power of the new ones. The best thing about the 5.9L CR is that you can put $5000 into it and be looking at an extra 300hp and 600ft-lb on the stock block and rotating assembly, with good reliability.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Yes, diesels are more expensive up front and maintenance costs more, but a diesel also requires LESS maintenance, and the regular maintenance goes a lot further than on a gas job.
If you drive a diesel like your typical vehicle, such as short trips to the store,bank errands etc. your maintenance schedule will be the same of a gas motor (oil change 3k-5k miles depending on conditions). Yes there aren't spark plugs to change but a couple injectors really will hurt your wallet (alot of people don't know is the BOSCH injectors in these truck are known for being junk)