DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
jcstanle is on a distinguished road
Default whistle at 120kph, grinding at 80kph

Hi
I have a 2011 Crew Cab Hemi and I'm not pleased with all the noises I'm hearing. At 120kph or slower on a windy day I get a loud hollow sounding whistle that sounds like it's coming from the driver side, side view mirror. I've tried taping all seems from the headlights back. I've pulled the mirror in tight to the cab but the whistle still persists. Very annoying

2nd noise is a grinding sound that comes at about 70-80kph when maintaining speed in high gear. Seems to come from mid truck and occurs more readily if going up slight incline or towing my boat. I've had a friend suggest the heat shield over the exhust might be slightly loose which makes noise at a certain resonance.

Anyone have a suggestion or similar problem? I'm taking it to the dealer next week.
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram ST
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:15
redlightrico is on a distinguished road

The whistling I have encountered and just put it out of my mind as a design flaw. ( getting a louder muffler helps too!!) The "grinding" on the other hand I cant see being a heat shield, might want that checked by your dealer fast.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I've read some other similar posts and as a result I've found the source of the whistling. When I push out on the door frame near the top front corner, the whistling goes away. I've read about 2 solutions, bending the door or replacing the door seal. Replacing the door seal seems to be the obvious thing to try first. We'll see.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: OutDoorsman
Color: Silver/Dark Gray
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
JAMS RAM is on a distinguished road

Hey,
The whistle does have a " TSB" out at the dealership I believe. They will insert foam behind the weatherstripping for a tighter fit. Supposedly this will fix it, my hasn't whistled for me yet but I'll be listening. The grinding could be low rear diff fluid level from the factory. Just read about on another forum. I would have them check the center and front diffs while they are in there locking. You'll definitely want that on your service record at the dealer ASAP. Don't except the noise, if they can't fix it within four tries, lol 2 to many in my opinion, then you may request a buy back under the lemon law. Good luck and post what the dealer does for you.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

UPDATE
I got impatient yesterday and decided to fix the window wind whistle myself..and it actually worked.
I put the window all the way down, opened the door slightly and while sitting on the drivers seat (facing out the door) I braced my feet on both ends of the door (bottom corners of the window opening) grabed the top of the door where the noise was coming from and gave a couple quick pulls. If you step of the truck and shut the door you'll notice the door fits more tightly than it did previously.
I tested it up to 145kph on a very windy day and didn't hear a whisper.
Problem solved!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:55 AM
The official Z night owl

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 SLT C.C.
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Pearlcoat
Rep:946
Juice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to beholdJuice420 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstanle View Post
UPDATE
I got impatient yesterday and decided to fix the window wind whistle myself..and it actually worked.
I put the window all the way down, opened the door slightly and while sitting on the drivers seat (facing out the door) I braced my feet on both ends of the door (bottom corners of the window opening) grabed the top of the door where the noise was coming from and gave a couple quick pulls. If you step of the truck and shut the door you'll notice the door fits more tightly than it did previously.
I tested it up to 145kph on a very windy day and didn't hear a whisper.
Problem solved!
So you "bent" the door instead of going to the dealer and having them tape some foam? Oh boy.

Justin
Black Mamba- Flowmaster 40 series, Airaid CAI, 20% tint, GTO taillight covers, ATA nerfs, AVS in-channel ventvisors, Curt hitch receiver, Extang Revolution Tonneau, EZ-down tailgate damper, Recon smoked 3rd brake light, Custom painted engine cover

Black Mamba's Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice420 View Post
So you "bent" the door instead of going to the dealer and having them tape some foam? Oh boy.

"bent" sounds harsh. The top of the door may have moved in 1mm and the door actually appears to be more flush with the cab now. Whistle is gone and it didn't leak last night in the rain.
Now, if only I knew what to "bend" to fix the grinding sound.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: QC Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
BBRam is on a distinguished road

I believe I hear the same noise from my truck, although I would describe it more as a low frequency howl rather than a grinding noise. It happens under load in high gear at around 40-50 mph. At first I too thought it may be something a little loose that's resonating at a certain frequency, such as the low rpm, but now I think its the TC because if I give it gas and the TC unlocks the noise disappears. I haven't brought it back to the dealer because its seems like one of those things that can only be heard under certain circumstances, and I haven't got the time for multiple trips back.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRam View Post
I believe I hear the same noise from my truck, although I would describe it more as a low frequency howl rather than a grinding noise. It happens under load in high gear at around 40-50 mph. At first I too thought it may be something a little loose that's resonating at a certain frequency, such as the low rpm, but now I think its the TC because if I give it gas and the TC unlocks the noise disappears. I haven't brought it back to the dealer because its seems like one of those things that can only be heard under certain circumstances, and I haven't got the time for multiple trips back.
Yeah similar to mine. The sound tends to come when in a high gear in a heavy load situation, just before the trany is about to gear down.
I'm booked into the dealer wednesday of next week. I'll let you know what they find/don't find.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Laramie 1500 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blue
Rep:55
wylie will become famous soon enough
Default wind noise

There is an RRT11-057 out from dodge for the wind noise. Check with your dealer.