DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Dang man, you went through the hardest part of going tot he store and finding the gasket material, then still ended up siliconing it? Hang on to the gasket material, you'll end up redoing this eventually(unless you sell the truck soon).

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Graphite
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:72
simonmw75 will become famous soon enough

I knew someone would inturpret what i wrote that way.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

What do you mean? I just read what you wrote literally.

Wasn't trying to be a jerk, just if you went and bought the gasket why did you still silicone it?

Old 01-15-2013, 12:41 PM

I wasn't offended by your response. Just realized you are the original poster too. So, let me say thanks for starting a great thread, with a real solution. I did buy the gasket material, and will hold on to it for possible future use. My solution was more of a gamble for me to see if my troubleshooting skills were acurate or not. I take risks like that. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't.

I just meant that someone would see the word silicone in my post and possibly interpret it as me saying that i bought a tube of household silicone, loaded it into the caulk gun, and "glued" the thing back on. That's the last thing i would do.

To clarify my original post, i used a type of non-cureing silicone based gasket/o-ring sealant. Designed to aid gaskets and o-rings in sealing in harsh environmental condtions. Something i "aquired" while in the Navy. It does not cure like the household stuff. I obviously need to be able to take the thing on and off to change light bulbs.

Based on my experience as a mechanic and engineer, i found the flaw to be the fit up between the light housing and the sheet metal. Only having one screw on each end of the light housing is inadequate. It would be like attaching your oil pan using bolts only in the corners, and expecting zero oil leaks. Wouldn't happen.

Your solution of using the thicker gasket is a good one. The increased thickness obviously increases the pressure on the mateing surfaces provided by the two screws. I just went a different route to accomplish the same thing (i.e. changed the contour of the sheet metal to increase the contact area of the oem gasket, which i found lacking).

Last edited by simonmw75; 01-15-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:48 PM

Gotcha, so is that material similar to the stuff you buy in a tube to make gaskets with? Like RTV gasket maker?

Old 01-15-2013, 02:10 PM

Nope. The stuff i have does not cure to a flexible gasket like form. It is very similar in consistancy to the light grease you get with new brake pads. In the Navy, we used it to aid o-rings and gaskets in sealing down to our submarines test depth. I figured if it could be used in saltwater under hundreds of PSI, and help keep the water out, it would be ok for my brake light.

I used it to do two things.

1. I used it to perform a contact check of the existing condition, which showed that there was less than adequate surface contact between the gasket and sheet metal. I repeated this again after making adjustments to the sheet metal to determine the new surface contact measurement.

2. I left it on to assist the oem gasket with sealing.

When reinstalling the light, i could also see the difference between the "gasket crush" before and after.

We'll see how it does right? I promise i'll post if it doesn't.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 PM

Ok I see. I did notice the same thing about the bad design of the 2 screws, with uneven pressure.

Many different ways to skin a cat...

Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

I ended up doing this on my 2nd gen. Works well, although due to the design of the weatherstrip I bought, I had to trim it in half.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 cc
Rep:10
Wonway is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonway View Post
Thanks Sean,

I'm sorry I called it a mod thread. I just figured since you went against the grain so to speak with the weatherstrip it was a "mod". Anyway, I decided to use strip caulk instead. I water tested it for the last 3 hours without a drop. Yours would be easier to replace bulbs, but I can deal with a semi removable gasket as it is what I had laying around the shop. Thanks for the ideas!

^ still working great!

Quick, easy and a lot less overthinking
Old 01-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2008-2008 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:14
Countryboy09 is on a distinguished road

I just took my truck through a laser wash system and noticed water leaking in the passnger rear corner. I also have an after market 3rd brake light too. I will have to try this out.