DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 4X4 Crew CAb
Trim Level: LoneStar Rambox
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:74
ghorn will become famous soon enough

There's always more than one way to skin a cat. Simonmw75 's method sounds like he used a product known as Dow Corning DC-4, which is a silicone-based o-ring and gasket grease, also used to lubricate incandescent lamps/bulbs to prevent corrosion in wet environments. It's used extensively in aviation maintenance as well as steamfitting, boilers, pressure-vessels, etc.. However, it's real intent is to facilitate the assembly of items using O-rings and gaskets to prevent their dis-lodgment during assembly operations, ...it has no ability of itself to withstand pressure. Simonmw75 seems to have addressed another (underlying) issue of poor fitment/attachment and that may work for him, but if the original gasket is what it sounds, .... there's likely another failure awaiting down the road.
It sounds as if the open-cell foam used in the OEM gasket is the true fault and I'm surprised this isn't a recall item due to it's obviously wide-spread experience due to defective materials.
As for those who've been told by dealers that they are "out of warranty"...keep in mind that many states have legislation that support the consumer when the fault is due to defective original materials for much longer than original warranties. In fact, if it's due to defective materials virtually all courts will support the claim regardless of any written warranty or expiration, due to the "implied warranty" of the intended purpose, the problem will be to convince the dealership/mfr'r that you are serious about pursuing the matter and that may take a lawyer's letterhead letter.
THANK you for the original post! Although I haven't noticed any leak, I plan to inspect my 3rd brake light gasket right away and replace the gasket regardless with a better one. I already have a roll of that MD weatherseal left over from another job and this'll be a good use for it. THANKS AGAIN, OP!

Last edited by ghorn; 01-16-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-17-2014, 07:20 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM RCSB Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
Two Dog is on a distinguished road

Is this still something to worry about on a '14? I figured I'd get it out of the way before winter is over and the rain comes, if it's still an issue.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 crew cab 2wd
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:130
Mopar Big Horn will become famous soon enoughMopar Big Horn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Just thought I'd post this up for what I did to solve my problem of the 3rd brake light leaking. I was getting water in both rear top corners of the cab where the headliner meets the plasic and rear window glass. What happens is the water leaks through the seal of the light, then makes it's way into the cab sheet metal, and runs to both corners due to the way the metal slopes. If you have water dripping from the top corners of the rear of the cab it is probably the 3rd brake light seal leaking. First thing I did was check to make sure the window seal also was not leaking, by pouring water in the open channel (once you remove the two screws holding on the light and pull the light off). There are weeps that let the water drain at the bottom of each corner of the window, my passenger side weep is wide open, the driver side weep is a little tighter (due to the window being installed slightly crooked), but it lets the water out fine. So anyway I then cleaned the sand/muck off where the light seals, and cleaned the old gasket off the light (very easy with flathead screwdriver, then again with adhesive remover). I then applied new thicker gasket (not a foam type like the original), I bought it at home depot, it is slightly wider, and about twice as think, but still very compressible. This is more rubber like (EPDM) than foam like, so should seal better. It doesn't turn sharp corners well, so I cut about half way through for the top two bends, and cut a separate strip for the bottom, this way the bottom corners are open and will let any water that may get in drain out. Pics....

Good right up and step by step process. I did my fix today. Was going to do a test but it is to cold today, maybe check it out monday when its a little warmer if it doesnt rain before than. REP points for this easy fix info.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram RCSB
Color: White
Rep:33
MOFOGO is on a distinguished road

I did mine this afternoon, quick and easy. My gasket peeled right off cleanly in one piece. Didn't see any evidence of leaking, but the gasket letting go so easy tells me the inferior factory gasket was drying out, so it was just a matter of time. I found the exact same product as used by the OP at Lowe's, less than $8.00 in a 10 foot roll. As stated earlier, look in the door and window weatherstrip section. THANKS snrusnak!
Old 03-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 3500
Color: blue
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
hulk151 is on a distinguished road

cool thanks for the advice.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: Maroon
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
azriding is on a distinguished road

Quote:
THIS REALLY WORKS!
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram SLT Quad Cab.
I did the same thing snrusnak did, per his instructions in this thread.
Home Depot sells a Frost King door seal that is 5/16"x9/16" and is made of rubber, not the spongey material that is supplied by Dodge.
My factory gasket was in fairly good shape by appearance, but was failing due to the material being porous.
My 3rd light, now fits snugger and won't leak after 5 years from the assembly line.
I highly recommend repairing your 3rd light this way if you're having the same problem....
Glad it helped you It's been a while now and still not a drop in my cab

Quote:
Great post, gonna get some for my fix ASAP! Wife complains of the musty smell after the rain pours in!
Good luck (this is probably the best mod I've done lol as it keeps my truck from stinking!)

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.

Great forum and information. Followed the directions and problem solved; Many thanks!
Old 03-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: Maroon
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
azriding is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Glad it helped you It's been a while now and still not a drop in my cab

Good luck (this is probably the best mod I've done lol as it keeps my truck from stinking!)

Great forum and information. I have been chasing this leak for a while; the directions and pictures were perfect. Worked perfectly, many thanks!
Old 06-17-2014, 03:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500 QC tradesman
Color: Copperhead Pearl
illumin8ed is on a distinguished road

So I started a thread looking for help with a water leak. The people responded talking about the third brake light. I took some time and read through several of the threads about this. It got me thinking.

If you live in an area with wildlife, you might just equip your truck like I do. I like to keep a 22lr rifle and a knife set under my back seat just in case I hit a deer and need to help it die quickly, with as little pain as possible. I keep my nice little Ruger 10/22 Takedown broken in half right in one of the under seat storage areas. It's a good fit even with gloves a short length of rope and some knifes for field dressing.

Well the threads about third brake light issues mentioned people having water in these areas. So I went and took a look. Sure enough I had about 4 inches of standing water in both of them. I took my gear right inside and I was horrified at the rust all over. You people not only helped me identify a problem with my truck, but you ensured a merciful death to an unfortunate creature and the ability to harvest said animal so I can put food on the table for my family. Not to mention saving one of my favorite plinking toys and a quality knife and hook set. No need to worry. I'm taking care of the rust. I'll think of this forum when I hit my next deer.

Wow. Now my wife can't call me an idiot for looking at truck forums. Now if only I could get her to be okay with the naked lady calendar in my shop area. Seriously though, thanks.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Black
dengland is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Dog View Post
Is this still something to worry about on a '14? I figured I'd get it out of the way before winter is over and the rain comes, if it's still an issue.

Thanks
I am thinking so. I found water dripping from passenger rear corner of the headliner a couple of days ago. I found this thread tonight. Headed to Lowes tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:18 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi 4X4
Color: Granite Crystal Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Morbid611 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengland View Post
I am thinking so. I found water dripping from passenger rear corner of the headliner a couple of days ago. I found this thread tonight. Headed to Lowes tomorrow.
Yup. Still a problem with the 14's. Mine did it right off the lot. I just clear siliconed mine. Problem never came back. And I had at least 2 inches of water in the bins under my back seat.