DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-19-2011, 12:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:64
Rescue1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpearldodge View Post
That's very useful information, and the ability to fold the seat is great!
I question whether it's legal though. Does anybody know if it would be illegal to do this modification?
I'd hate to see the seat be able to flip forward in a crash, especially when there is a passenger sitting in the seat! Insurance companies would have a hay-day with this one.

I'd like to do the mod...if it's safe and legal to do so.
Too be honest, if this was Illegal this would be the least of my concerns...LOL......
Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
Too be honest, if this was Illegal this would be the least of my concerns...LOL......
Going that you are in Law/Fire/EMS, I am surprised by your answer.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Black
Rep:11
riggz is on a distinguished road

There isn't really a legal issue here as you are not really messing with any safety feature. I don't think a cop would be able to write a citation for installing washers under your seats....

Also you are not secured to the seats. You are secured to the seat belts, which are not being altered in this case. If you were involved in a collision the seatbelts would lock down before the seatback would be able to move much.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggz View Post
There isn't really a legal issue here as you are not really messing with any safety feature. I don't think a cop would be able to write a citation for installing washers under your seats....

Also you are not secured to the seats. You are secured to the seat belts, which are not being altered in this case. If you were involved in a collision the seatbelts would lock down before the seatback would be able to move much.
I totally agree with you on being attached to the seatbelt, not the seat. Still...I could see an insurance adjustor/lawyer having fun with this one.

Okay...here's another side to look at:
Suppose you have a passenger riding in the back and you get involved in an accident. Your buddy (assuming) could potentially sue you for your mod to the seat (assuming he is injured). The latch pin was designed to go into the latch (locking plate) a certain distance (I'm assuming...) so any modification to that would/could poise a safety issue. I realize the chances of the seat back coming forward is probably next to nil.

This mod is probably okay. It's the probable chance that it isn't that worries me. I have a small child that sits in the back seat and I'd never forgive myself if something happened as a result of neglect on my part (the spacer in the seat.)

If it were just me (and/or my wife) I probably wouldn't care. I guess I tend to error on the side of caution in my old age.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn quad cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:112
Jixer will become famous soon enoughJixer will become famous soon enough

After reading the thread, I have a question. Wouldn't the manufacturer of the spacers/audio company have looked into the safety and legality of this in fear of said companies being sued if an accident with injury were to happen? I honestly don't know to what level they would research this, but just a thought. Or is this purchased with some sort of disclaimer? Thanks!

K&N series 63 CAI - 22" Magnaflow muffler - MyGiG Lockpick V.4 - Rhino spray in bedliner - Truxedo LoPro tonneau cover - front and rear view cameras - side steps - tow hooks - skid plates - slush mats
Old 07-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Again, the "what if" situation could be played out for just about any modification, such as a lift, oversized tires or wheels, big brake kit, etc. In fact, I would be more worried about those than a seat back coming forward during an impact. I think in the case of where the seat back might come forward from an impact, it would probably be the least of your problems.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Again, the "what if" situation could be played out for just about any modification, such as a lift, oversized tires or wheels, big brake kit, etc. In fact, I would be more worried about those than a seat back coming forward during an impact. I think in the case of where the seat back might come forward from an impact, it would probably be the least of your problems.
Hmmm....I have to say I don't agree with you.
Mods like lifts, oversized tires, or brake kits are items that CAN be done as a mod (because you are installing parts to REPLACE existing parts, not add to them). It would be a different story if you tried modifying a brake outside its designated design (as is the case with raising the back seat so the locking pin/latch sits higher.)
Old 07-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Mods like lifts, oversized tires, or brake kits are items that CAN be done as a mod (because you are installing parts to REPLACE existing parts, not add to them). It would be a different story if you tried modifying a brake outside its designated design (as is the case with raising the back seat so the locking pin/latch sits higher.)
You are lifting the seat, but it still latches. You lift a truck, but it still drives. Both alter how they will react during a crash or loss of control. A dirty lawyer could find a way to prove that by lifting a vehicle, it caused it to be more top heavy and thus more prone to flip over during loss of control. I can't come up with a good reason for a seat back to cause injury...
Old 07-22-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I can't come up with a good reason for a seat back to cause injury...
Look at it from this point of view: Suppose you get into an accident and your truck flips or rolls. The force of the twisting COULD cause the seat back to dislodge from its locking pin (due to the latch having less catch). In turn this could cause extra stress/twisting on the passenger in that seat. You can beat your last dollar the insurance company will scrutinize that seat to see why it became dislodged and when they, expect the *hit to hit the fan. IMHO it's one thing to put bigger tires on your truck...it's another to "play" with the original design of any part when it goes outside its original functionality.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:00 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
a body lift adds parts, oversize tires increase stopping distances, superchargers add parts, suspension lifts add lift and raise the CG which could be argued by a lawyer was the causal factor in an accident. I can probably "what if" any mod.

do a google search. lifting the back seat with some spacers has been around for a long time.