DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
a body lift adds parts, oversize tires increase stopping distances, superchargers add parts, suspension lifts add lift and raise the CG which could be argued by a lawyer was the causal factor in an accident. I can probably "what if" any mod.

do a google search. lifting the back seat with some spacers has been around for a long time.
What's your point here? Are you saying it's okay since it's been around a long time, and readily searchable on the internet?

In case you haven't read the entire post, my only concern here is for my 2 1/2 year old daughter, who happens to sit in the rear seat of my truck. I would never jeopardize her life by making a mod that COULD cause her injury or, worse, death. That's the only point I'm trying to make here.

My original question was - and still is - whether or not the modification would be considered illegal.
Can you answer that for me? Assuming you have the legal background to do so.
Sponsored links
Old 07-22-2011, 03:36 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpearldodge View Post
Hmmm....I have to say I don't agree with you.
Mods like lifts, oversized tires, or brake kits are items that CAN be done as a mod (because you are installing parts to REPLACE existing parts, not add to them). It would be a different story if you tried modifying a brake outside its designated design (as is the case with raising the back seat so the locking pin/latch sits higher.)
so you can replace parts just not add them? replacing a single shock with dual shocks is illegal then? adding a steering stabilizer is illegal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpearldodge View Post
What's your point here? Are you saying it's okay since it's been around a long time, and readily searchable on the internet?

In case you haven't read the entire post, my only concern here is for my 2 1/2 year old daughter, who happens to sit in the rear seat of my truck. I would never jeopardize her life by making a mod that COULD cause her injury or, worse, death. That's the only point I'm trying to make here.

My original question was - and still is - whether or not the modification would be considered illegal.
Can you answer that for me? Assuming you have the legal background to do so.
if it is illegal I'm sure it would vary from state to state so you'd prob have to check with someone local. some states do safety inspections and some don't.

if it's a child you are worried about then don't do the mod. just because something is legal does that make it safe??? you have a legitimate concern for your child's safety. my point with saying that it's been around is that I've never read anything negative about them...not to say that it couldn't happen.

my point is that just about any mod could be scrutinzed by insurance or a lawyer. oversize tires may make your truck more unsafe. you might swerve on the hwy and roll over. hell if you bought a different speed rating tire maybe they would come after you after a blowout. I'm not attacking you but I can what if mods all day. I have no legal background but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
so you can replace parts just not add them? replacing a single shock with dual shocks is illegal then? adding a steering stabilizer is illegal?

if it is illegal I'm sure it would vary from state to state so you'd prob have to check with someone local. some states do safety inspections and some don't.

if it's a child you are worried about then don't do the mod. just because something is legal does that make it safe??? you have a legitimate concern for your child's safety. my point with saying that it's been around is that I've never read anything negative about them...not to say that it couldn't happen.

my point is that just about any mod could be scrutinzed by insurance or a lawyer. oversize tires may make your truck more unsafe. you might swerve on the hwy and roll over. hell if you bought a different speed rating tire maybe they would come after you after a blowout. I'm not attacking you but I can what if mods all day. I have no legal background but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
That's good enough for me. LOL.
Thanks for your opinion!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 03:51 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:11
riggz is on a distinguished road

Are you saying that because people have been lifting trucks and putting on bigger tires for a long time that it is okay?

If your concern is a mod that COULD cause your daughter injury or death, then you should avoid from doing ANY mod as any dirty lawyer COULD make a case that it was a contributing factor. That being anything from aftermarket tail lights or headlights, lift kit, wheels/tires, window tint, brakes, engine, etc.

My and I think CHVYKLR's point is that this mod is probably least likely to be litigated as a contributing cause to an injury or death in the case of a collision. Not to mention the fact that after impact the vehicle would be pretty damaged to notice the modification and even less noticeable to someone who is not familiar with the exact layout of the vehicle's interior. Also, in some states (as was here until recently) the fact that a passenger was not wearing a seat belt was inadmissible in lawsuits. Basically it's about who caused the accident and not about how much more damage was done because of a modification.

As for it being illegal, and IANAL, but unless you can find some wording in your laws that specifically states altering the seats is illegal, then it is not. In order for something to be illegal it must be stated in a law. You don't have to have wording that says it IS legal.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:25 PM

No. I am not saying that!
Today, everybody sues everybody. So I just want to make a clear and informed decision whether I would consider performing this mod.

Not trying to get into a pissing match with anyone. I, like most others here, like the option of mods.
I have never checked my local laws to see if certain, if any, mods to a vehicle are illegal.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

...It's a shame that someone puts 1" spacers under their seats and it turns into a 4 page legal debate...

In my old truck I removed the bench seat and put in two bucket seats with a subwoofer box in between. I bolted the sub box to the cab to secure it, and regularly had 3 people in the cab (one buckled in on top of the wooden sub box with no back rest). I got pulled over, the cop saw it, he asked if she was buckled up, I said yes, he asked if I though it was safe, I said yes, it is secured to the cab, he said ok...

Even if you completely unbolted the backrest of the seat and just laid it into position, as long as you're buckled up, you're safe....but i digress...maybe you're the guy who spilled mcdonalds coffee and sued so now all the cups say "caution, contents may be hot OR cold" .....not trying to be a jerk just making a point!

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
...It's a shame that someone puts 1" spacers under their seats and it turns into a 4 page legal debate...
To a point I agree with you. This forum is a place to make suggestions as well as ask for input. Good or bad. Right or wrong. What you do with the information is up to you. If we all agreed, all the time, this forum would be dull and boring.

And I believe it was a woman that spilled coffee in her lap at McDonald's...not a man.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:55 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
And I believe it was a woman that spilled coffee in her lap at McDonald's...not a man
now it all makes sense...

haha jk!

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
now it all makes sense...

haha jk!
Uh-huh.
Have a good one!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Flat Spot is on a distinguished road

I think this will be my last post about any new information I come up with based on everyone's replies.