DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 11 Ram Quad
Trim Level: sxt
Color: red
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:13
squig69 is on a distinguished road
Default first oil change? more confused than ever

im getting my first oil change done and im more confused than ever on which way i should go, regular dino oil or full synthetic. also dont know which way to go as far a brands either, mobli1, pennzoil, valvoline, castrol..........are they all pretty much the same (i was looking for the "pulling my hair out smilie" but cant seem to find one lol), dont get me started on what filters i should use either cuz i havent got a clue. i use to think oil was oil, i guess i was wrong. my head is balding enough on its own and i cant afford to pull anymore out. im probably going the route of full synthetic but which one? can anyone steer me in the right direction? is it just a matter of flipping a coin on which to use? thanks

ps. where can i get ahold of some rogaine?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I will say that there is a $4 or $5 dollar oil filter out there that is every store, it has a paper end cap & the by pass valve is junk.
Spend $6 & get a better brand oil filter

Modern day motor oils are pretty equal, whether it is dino or synthetic
When i first bought my Ram, the dealership down here was using Mobile One dino in the oil changes, then Valvoline got the contract for a year, in May of this year the Shell Oil Company won a 2 year contract & the oil that they are now using is Pennzoil in gas engines & Rotella in diesels
I was ready to make may switch to Synthetic & i picked a brand that is available everywhere, Mobile One synthetic & i found that it is even available at Walmart for quite a bit less than anyone else charges for it, i buy it in the 5 quart jugs
The thing is I will not be changing brands, when i am ready to sell this Ram, it will have the same brand as i am using now, i don't believe in switching back & forth
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 11-14-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 RC 6spd
Trim Level: SRT10 RC
Color: Brilliant black
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:145
05ram will become famous soon enough05ram will become famous soon enough

Mobile1 extended performance(5qt jugs at Walmart, $30) and the new Fram extended guard 10,000 mile filter(walmart $8). And this one is not paper and cheap valves, rates out = to the mobile1 and k&n.
2004 SRT10 RC in black, with 500+HP, B&G Stage2 PCM, K&N drop in, JMB Catless mids, JTSVP Gen1 shifter, all synthetic fluids, lots of underhood billet with a Snakeskin radiator cover from JTSHydro, LED tails, BedRug, colormatched tonneau!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

Just my opinion here of course, but I don't see any advantage of going synthetic unless you are willing to extend you oil change interval. I run Amsoil oil and filters, and change the oil in my vehicles once a year no matter what the miles. We don't drive our vehicles a ton of miles a year, so that works out well for me. Amsoil's top of the line oil says you can go as much as 25,000 miles. Thats way more than I'm willing to go, but 7 or 8 thousand miles doesn't seem like a stretch if your using the good stuff.

If you run regular dino oil, there is nothing wrong with that. For oil filters, I run either Napa Gold or Amsoil filters.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

What they all said is great advice ^

Dino oil is fine, but synthetic is better, no matter what anyone says. Not that an engine with dino oil won't last a long time, but with synthetic it will last longer, and you end up saving money. Like stated above you can get mobil 1 extended performance for $30, it lasts 15k miles. I use that oil but change every 8-10k or so, sometimes even sooner. It is still cheaper in the end. Any synthetic oil is good, but the big trusted brands like mobil, amsoil, castrol, etc.... are obviously more common and easy to get in local stores. I'd go for whatever synthetic is a big name and good price. It always ends up being mobil in my area. As for filters, like they said spend a few dollars extra, it makes a big difference. Make sure you get a filter that can last as long as the synthetic oil if you go that route. I buy the mobil 1 EP with matching filter on sale at autozone for like $40 I think. Lasts me about half a year.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I drive quite a lot in my business, that is why i went to synthetic
In July i had 40,000 miles on my Ram, i had 56,000 miles on it in September & i had taken 3 weeks off from work
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 11-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Vehicle: 2011 SLT CC 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
SeattlePete is on a distinguished road

This post is a great example of how useful or useless the internet can be- too much information pulling the OP in too many directions. What weight, dino/semi-syn, full synthetic, type and make of filter, change interval, and on and on.

Here's my advice- when in doubt- READ YOUR MANUAL and follow the manufacturers recommendation- or just take the vehicle to the dealership so they can do the service for you.

If you don't want to read the manual, or go to the dealer, then get a box of factory filters, a name brand 5W20 oil, and change the oil and filter ever 3 months- January 1st, April 1st, July 1st, and September 1st.

Don't create a mountain out of an anthill.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I may be mistaken, but i believe the filter inside of the MOPAR oil filter cannister is a cheap Fram & i won't have one on my Ram or any other vehicle until they say it is Not
I believe that in May when the new supplier contracts were announced, Honeywell won the contract for oil filters
Old 11-14-2011, 04:48 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
This post is a great example of how useful or useless the internet can be- too much information pulling the OP in too many directions. What weight, dino/semi-syn, full synthetic, type and make of filter, change interval, and on and on.

Here's my advice- when in doubt- READ YOUR MANUAL and follow the manufacturers recommendation- or just take the vehicle to the dealership so they can do the service for you.

If you don't want to read the manual, or go to the dealer, then get a box of factory filters, a name brand 5W20 oil, and change the oil and filter ever 3 months- January 1st, April 1st, July 1st, and September 1st.

Don't create a mountain out of an anthill.
There's a reason I change my own oil on my truck; the dealer uses conventional oil, and I'd also have to go in every 3k miles (about once a month half the year, and once every 2-3 months the other half of the year). We were trying to help him make his decision, obviously he can read the manual and go to the dealer, but the benefits of synthetic are what he was asking about. For me the main benefit is extended oil changes(only change it once or twice a year instead of about 5-6 times a year, and save a lot of money. This is beyond the other benefits of the oil itself.

In this case we all are really leading him in the same direction, not different directions; synthetic oil is better than conventional, extended intervals and save money, buy a good filter.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 slt crewcab
Trim Level: slt 4x4 crew
Color: deep cherry red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
JoeBlow is on a distinguished road

Just my 2 cents, but I think synthetic is over rated. I have driven a few cars to 150K plus miles, always used dino oil, never changed the oil before passing 5-6k miles, and always used the cheapy filters. All cars were in great running condition when I got rid of them. I use to have an RX-7 Turbo, sold it at 165k miles to some guy who wanted to make it into a racer. The guy had the motor out and tested, said compression and horsepower were exactly where it was when the car left the factory. If dino oil was good enough for that motor, its good enough period.

The truth is, IMO, many of us don't even keep our cars or trucks long enough to even reap the benefits of using expensive synthetic. Have watched many friends make a big deal about only using synthetic in their cars and constantly changing the oil, just to see them driving someting else a year or two later. If you think you'll keep your truck forever, I understand, but otherwise I don't think it's necassary.