DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Knowledge Base

Notices

Dodge Ram Knowledge Base Here you can find owner submitted how-to's for performing various mods to your Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl Coat
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:92
marko7717 will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb 09-11 Rear Bumper Removal and Replacement

I swapped out my chrome rear bumper for a Mineral Grey Metallic painted one with the exhaust cut-outs. Below is a quick "how-to" to remove and replace a bumper for the 09-11 1500 Ram's.

Goodbye chrome...

There are three electrical connectors (if you have the trailer plug) to disconnect. Two plugs for the license plate lights (center and right pic) and one for the trailer plug receptacle (left pic). The light plugs have a red tab that needs to be pulled out before you try to unplug them from the bulbs. You could just as easily remove the bulbs while still connected to the wires, but with my luck Id break one. I just kinda wiggled the plug for the trailer receptacle till it came out, it was rather easy to unplug. None of the wires are connected to the bumper.

The bumper is connected to the truck by six bolts (head size of 15mm if I remember correctly). Four of the bolts are located on the back side of the bumper just outside of the hitch, and the other two are behind the license plate along with two plastic fasteners, just above the bolts, that you will need to remove. Once all of the bolts are removed, using a little elbow grease and some wiggling of the bumper, the bumper will come right off.

And there you have it, bumper free.

At this point you can either remove the step pad or the bumper brackets next. I removed the brackets first to make it easier to access the step pad tabs that you have to crush and push out. For each bracket there are six bolts that you will need to remove. The bracket for each side of the bumper actually comes apart to make two pieces for a total of four bracket pieces. I kept the two pieces bolted together to better assist with realignment when I get ready to put the new bumper on. All twelve bolts are carriage bolts, so you will need to keep pressure on the bolt to keep it in the square hole. Otherwise you will be turning your wrench or ratchet for a while. Eight of the nuts are size 15mm and the smaller four are 10mm.

If you notice the green WTF in the pic on the right; I backed into a steel box about nine months ago and it left a dimple about the size of a dime in the chrome. Where all of that rust is inside the green box is where the dimple is... All I can say is WOW...

To remove the step pad, first you will need to remove the license plate light housings and the trailer plug receptacle. For the receptacle, you need to push in on the two silver tabs on the side of the receptacle (where my fingers are in the right pic) and it will fall right out. For the light housings, if you look at where the red arrow is pointing, take a flat tip screwdriver and pry that silver tab up. That silver tab is actually a rather long fastener to keep the housing in place. Once you remove the silver fastener the housing will fall right out. Repeat 1X. Now to remove the step pad itself you will have to take some pliers and crush and push out these plastic tabs (left pic), there are about 14 of them.

Once all of that is completed, reverse the process with one exception. Bolt on the brackets before you put on the step pad as three of the bolts on each side go underneath the pad.

And there you have it. Yes I know the cut outs look a little wierd with the single out exhaust. The new dual exhaust is going on next weekend.

Cheers
Sponsored links
Old 11-13-2010, 05:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:167
rtkman has a spectacular aura aboutrtkman has a spectacular aura about

Nice write up. Good job. I can't wait to see it all done.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:43 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:32
dankent is on a distinguished road

Thats looks awesome
Old 11-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

Nice write up, now if I lived closer I would see what you did with the old bumper.

I am looking at getting the chrome one and then for my truck one with the exhaust cutouts.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
wsstk is on a distinguished road

Where did you buy the new bumper, some kid driving a gm, rear ended me today at a red light. but I wanted to get a new chrome one with dual cutouts.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:43 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Black Pearl
Rep:42
Zippo973 is on a distinguished road

I've got a Bril Black Pearl without cutouts for sale.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:52 PM

Vehicle: 2009 QC 4wd
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:146
jc4041 will become famous soon enoughjc4041 will become famous soon enough

sweet...will def make my "good weather project" go a lot easier...pulling both off to have the bedliner put on them
'07 Dodge Charger SRT8 SuperBee #579-CAI, DSP, dual Cherry Bomb Extremes
-Jeff
Old 04-23-2011, 01:13 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram
Trim Level: Slt Big Horn CC
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
CaddyRam is on a distinguished road

How much do you want for it Zippo? Any scratches or dents?
Mufflex18,limo tint,DNX 6960w/rearview camera, sirrius satellite,DVD,Nav,radar detector/video camera mount, Damplifier.Ez down tailgate assist,bed extender, LineX,relocated rearwindow switch,custom twin filter air intake,custom front/rear center consoles w10'' Kappa and LED lighting.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:02 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Black Pearl
Rep:42
Zippo973 is on a distinguished road

Got a 2011 steel rear bumper w/o duel cutouts for sale, just steel bumper no rubber insert. $180.00 + shipping truck has 1100 miles on it bumper is perfect and is black. No dents or scratches. Thanks zip
Old 02-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
JoeMamma is on a distinguished road

marko,

Thanks for the procedures and pictures ! I'm hoping my 2012 is the same......it should be.

I just ordered my own rear bumper today..........chrome with dual exaust cutouts.

I'm planning on replacing my single tailpipe with a throatier Flowmaster muffler and a dual tailpipe setup (Flowmaster assembly number 817477). Are you planning on a custom-built set of pipes or a store-bought set ?

After I install the new bumper, anybody can have the old chrome one for free as I'm out of storage room. My truck only has about 750 miles so the rear bumper is like new. You pick it up here only.........no shipping or deliveries.

Joe M.