DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Considering a Ram Sport Crew

3K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Raf 
G
#1 ·
Hello, All!

My wife and I are loving the Ram Sport. It's between the Brilliant Black and the Deep Cherry Red Pearl.

In a nutshell, we love this truck from top to bottom, also the pricing. The interior is the best in its class bar none.

However...my wife and I are also VERY fond of the Toyota Tundra Crewmax. We have 3 children, 8, 4, and 2. We have a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse that has served us well with the carseats and all the other baby goodies. But...we feel that a truck offers us far more utility being home owners and all. It also helps that these trucks look incredible also.

The knock on the Tundras is the interior. Not entirely...more specifically the driver's cluster as a whole. It's FUGLY to say the least. I don't know what Toyota was thinking. Not only that, but Toyota seems far too proud of their pickup as their prices are almost fixed. From what I've gathered...they don't seem likely to give you much of a break from their pricing. With the Ram, it's well documented that you can get as much as $10K off the sticker....at least close to it.

The Ram Sport Crew we've liked was at $37K with a touch screen radio with back up camera, black leather or VERY dark charcoal gray and bluetooth with the chrome wheels. Take off all the cash back and incentives...looks like a bargain.

Ram also bests the Tundra with the coil springs. But...the Tundra sports a 6 speed tranny. However, the Ram does get a 6 speed in 2012 so I could wait for that. It might come at the expense of some incentives however.

From a pure looks standpoint...we like the Crewmax Tundra more. We love the looks of the Ram Sport Crew also.

So with all this said, what kind of pointers or recommendations can you make to help us out here. My wife and I are really overwhelmed with it all as we plan on keeping this vehicle for a LOOONG time unlike the Chevy Traverse. We'll either be selling the Traverse or trading it in...whichever garners a better deal.

Thanks so much! I look forward to conversing with you. :smiley_thumbs_up:

See less See more
#3 ·
From my amature POV my father bought the Dodge i have now when he accired his 3rd child. Lasted him forever and sold it to me. even at 5'11" I can still sit in the back seat and not feel squished. As far as the newer trucks go there are a good amount of pros and cons to both truck. Tundras are very well known to take hard beatings and never quit. I know a man who has thrown his truck into an irrigation ditch pulled it up and she never skipped a beat. My dodge is 10 years old and from personal XP its still capable of anything i need. Sum it up I'm not much help but dodge is american and very well built these days. You will not have problems with either tuck and trucks do hold their value well. If both are equil to where you cant decide look at dealership benifits. Ive shared a few visits to dodge dealership that I felt I was a bother and the price was unjust. but thats dealership prices. Have yet to encounter to toyota's service. Best of luck. This dodge I own now though has made me a dodge lover for life.

#4 · (Edited)
I would say go for the ram for the simple fact of price of everything, from sale, to service. Toyota is proud of everything, including trips to the dealership. And while the rams do have computers on them like everything else now, they are nowhere near as complicated to fix as a tundra when it finally does break.

I have had 58,000 trouble free miles out of my 4th gen ram. The only area where a Toyota is ahead of the Ram, is in resale value (in my opinion), and I am a HUGE toyota fan, if that tells you anything. My truck (fortunately for me I bought it used) is worth around half of what it cost new right now. Its almost exactly 2.5 years old. I was offered 18k on trade last month and told them where to put it.

#6 ·
I have never owned a Dodge truck before my 2011 Crew Cab 1500. I was a bit hesitant with the black pearl coat. Now...I couldn't imagine anything but a black 1500 c/c.
You'll ultimately buy what best suits your needs/wants. IMHO you cannot go wrong with a new Dodge 1500. Not sure what the 2012 lineup will bring, but you can either get a really good deal on a 2011 or wait to buy a 2012 (and take your changes with incentives, etc.)
I'm not regretting my 2011, but I ordered back in March 2011...many months prior to the 2012 release.

Good luck in your quest.

#8 ·
When I was buying my truck earlier this year, it was down to the Ram and Tundra. The only thing I thought the Tundra had going for it was it that it had a little more straight line acceleration. The Ram's interior was far more desirable (especially the Sport), it beat the Tundra in features and price, and the Hemi still has plenty of power. Did I to mention it looks so much better too? I bought the Ram and love it.. no regrets at all.

#11 ·
One thought though, especially with 3 kiddo's...is a Mega Cab in your pricerange? Or are you stuck at the 1500 level? Nothing wrong with a CrewCab, but I would make sure to get the RamBox so you dont have to take all the carseats out to lift the seats to get to storage compartments.

I only WISH I had Rambox. I can get ahold of a Rambox bed and convert it to fit on my frame (I have a 6'4" box, rambox only came in 5'7") But i cant figure out how to do it without the bed looking funny.

#12 ·
At first I looked at the Tundra but after looking at the inside of the truck I thought it was the fuglyist interior that I had ever seen.

I have a 2011 1500 Crew Cab. in Black Pearlcoat, I also have 3 little ones and a furry one. my kids are 10, 7 and 5. there is more then enough room in the back for them. after our first 5 hr trip the kids told me how much they liked the truck over the old Pacifica we used to have (dont ask Wifes choice and car) I did not do the ram boxes and find that I like the little extra bed space in the corners it makes all the difference when you pack for 5. My father in law has a 09 with ram boxes some times he says he wishes he did not have them.

#13 ·
I also have three kids 11, 6 and 4 the crew cab has more than enough space for the kids. Throw a tonneau cover on her and you will be set. The entire family loves the ram it has become the family wagon and hands down is the smoothest riding pick up I have ever been in.

#14 ·
We are all biased. I really didn't like the black, is is a funny green metallic, by brother in law just bought a black qc, and I strongly dislike it, but thats why mine is Deep Cherry Red! I love the Ram box, but shopping for a Rambox truck is near impossible. They are so few and far between, trust me I bought one 2 months ago, just after they stopped taking orders on 11s.

#16 ·
Toyota's are over priced, and the styling is a bit outdated. I went through all the trucks at this years Chicago auto show and hopping from one to the other I quickly realized that Toyota was behind in terms of styling, they kept it rugged, but with a premium price. Also as much as I liked the look of the Tundra, the front end is a little bit on the weak side this seemed to be a common complaint in my research when I was looking for a truck.

I like the black, but I think it is a lot of up keep. With kids jumping in and out the truck, I am sure you will get a fair share of scuffs and scratches. I think they would be the most noticeable on black. Just my 2 cents.

#17 ·
I went through the exact same thing when buying my 2011 1500 Sport. I was seriously looking at the Tundra since my previous truck was a Tacoma. I drove both trucks and actually loved both of them. I also thought the Tundra's cockpit was ugly as hell. It looks so dated, like out of the 90's or something. The Ram looks way better. I was also impressed with the overall technology available in the Ram. The UConnect works flawlessly with my iPhone.

I also had hesitations about the Ram's resale value. I got good money for my '02 Tacoma so I know the Toyota has the edge there. But I was also able to get a way better deal on the Ram. I was able to get the Ram box and the lifetime Max warranty for less than the Tundra without anything else. I'm holding on to my next truck for a long time so I felt the resale value wasn't something I needed to worry about so I went with the Ram. I've had it for 3 months now and I'm very happy with it!

G
#18 ·
Wow....yeah, I see we can all relate in all areas, family, utility, comfort, ride, price, etc.

I had no idea the Ram box eats up at bed space. I'm pretty shocked about that. Never really paid that close attention. So glad you guys brought that up. Not a deal breaker by any stretch as you can make a case for or against it.

Resale value seems to be pushed further and further down the priority list. Afterall...I do plan on keeping this vehicle until it's completely out of commission, making it totally null.

Once again, I appreciate all your input fellas. Keep 'em coming. It's great to hear testimonials. The bias is expected so I don't look at that in a bad light. I made a thread over in a Tundra forum also. With that, I look to gather all the feedback together and weigh my options further. Nothing better than to hear it from drivers of respective trucks. I'm also gather the negatives from both and whatever issues owners have found on both trucks also. All in all, it will give me a fantastic balance from a testimonial standpoint.

Lastly, of course, will be the wheeling and dealing with the dealerships.

#19 ·
1. Toyota's are ugly, inside and out...
Looks to me like a clump of bubbles.

2. Toyota's are overpriced.

3. BUY AMERICAN.

It always surprises me that people don't consider the importance of buying American, ESPECIALLY when it comes to vehicles.

I have NEVER and will never buy a vehicle made by a foreign company.

(Before you idiots get started yes I am aware of the Mexican engine assembly, but Chrysler is a US based company and they provide thousands of jobs here in the US.)

#20 ·
1. Toyota's are ugly, inside and out...
Looks to me like a clump of bubbles.

2. Toyota's are overpriced.

3. BUY AMERICAN.

It always surprises me that people don't consider the importance of buying American, ESPECIALLY when it comes to vehicles.

I have NEVER and will never buy a vehicle made by a foreign company.

(Before you idiots get started yes I am aware of the Mexican engine assembly, but Chrysler is a US based company and they provide thousands of jobs here in the US.)
However, that has no basis in fact, because Toyota employs thousands here stateside as well.

Nowadays, Toyota/Honda/Nissan and BMW/Mercedes are as american as the big 3.

Buying vehicles PERIOD stimulates the economy...doesnt really matter which brand anymore.

BTW, if you look around your house, nearly everything you own is probably foreign. Right down to the computer you typed that post on.

#22 ·
My opinions: The tundra is extremely ugly, almost looks like it's out of terminator movie or something. I've never seen the interior. I think the interior on my ram is way too nice, it's like a cadillac, I wanted plastic dash cloth seats and vinyl floor, but they don't make real trucks anymore so I have to settle for this fancy stuff. I like the interior, but just too much for me. Toyota has had a lot of issues recently, they are not known for building dependable long lasting trucks. For less money, you'll get more truck with the ram. Not to mention more REAL WORLD power and towing capacity (regardless of what the numbers say). Not telling anyone what to do, but I couldn't bear spending that much money on a car, so I bought used and spent under $20,000 for my 2010 (it was 9 months used at the time and in about perfect condition). Saved about $15k off sticker by doing that, maybe 7or8k off what I could've got a new one for. That's $7k into mods if I want...

#23 ·
I should say my only experience with toyota trucks is my friend that has a tacoma "half ton" pickup. We put his 400lb motorcycle in it and drove a few hours, getting about 10-13mpg hwy and the truck drove like it was overloaded. I looked at the springs they were nearly on the overloads (some half ton huh...). I have put a ton in my s10 half ton pickup with a 4 cylinder and although it struggled it got the job done and without tearing anything up. I also hauled 2 motorcycles (about 400lb each) plus our gear, maybe 1,500lb, me and my buddy from orlando to nashville in the same s10 with over 200,000miles on the clock, no issues, 24mpg. Just my experience with toyota compared to american manufacturers...

#25 ·
Your attempt to justify not buying American disgusts me.

Simply put, the profits from the sale of a Toyota go to Tokyo.
The profits from the sale of a Chrysler go to Detroit.

I don't shop at Walmart, and my food comes from the local farmers market.
I am in a CSA for all my produce, and I buy American whenever it is an option.

P.S. Intel is in America too.
^^ +1

Sometimes buying american is not an option anymore (whether my truck was made in mexico, or a kia that was made in georgia, at least the money for my truck comes back to my country), I buy american when reasonably possible. For example, I wanted to buy a little charcoal grill, the only ones I could find that are cheapo's were about $15 and all foreign made, the cheapest american made one I believe was a weber and near $100...that's not reasonable. Also when purchasing my television, couldn't find one made here, maybe there are none. I constantly check the packaging for its origin, everyone should!

#31 ·
I bought a new 2011 Deep Cherry Red Sport Crew 4X4 a few months ago in April and still love it. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. The pricing difference was one of the main things that i went for in looking at the Ram. My sport is loaded with a sticker price of $46K and and a similar Tundra had a sticker price of $48K with the same equipment. I was able to get $10K off of a Ram including rebates and the most I would have been able to get off a Toyota was like $4k. The Tundra would have been around $6K more out the door for a similar truck. The Dodge's exterior looks better, they have nicer rims, interior is waaaay nicer than the Toyota's IMO. The electronics (NAV, backup cam, bluetooth, remote start, ect) work excellent too. The leather is nicer on the seats, I can't say enough good things about the new Ram's interior. One cool thing my truck does I found out the other day is when I use the remote start and it's real hot outside the truck automatically turns on the air conditioned seats!!! Of course I'm sure there are plenty of Toyota owners that are as happy with their Tundra as I am with my Ram. If they want to drive a more expensive, out dated rig then all the power to them. Honestly just drive both and go with your gut feeling. :smileup:

G
#32 ·
No...I agree with all things you said here. Previously I'd mentioned how I liked the body of the Tundra more but since making this thread, I've been paying more attention to the Tundra and comparing it to the Ram and the Ram does have it beat. I guess I was basing myself off 4X4 lifted Tundras witht the pocket flared fenders. That's how I love the Tundra. Aside from that....they're nothing to write home about and the interior is a joke.

there was no bias in your post. All things you mentioned are true and of course expressed a great deal of satisfaction after these months of owning yours which is always great to see. :smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.