DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
herc is on a distinguished road
Default My Turtle Wax Ice Experience

I've seen other threads about Ice and other products here, but I thought I'd share my own experience.

I've had my truck for a little while now, and have kept it sparkling with regular washes, but hadn't actually waxed it yet. Weather, business, etc. just never gave me a chance to at a good time. Anyway, about a week ago, I did about an hour-long night drive in the country, and the whole front of the truck was loaded with bugs. So, this past Saturday, I spent quite a bit of time soaking, washing, and then light-polishing off every spec. After I was done, the truck looked amazing, still before any wax, but it was clearly time.

After all I'd heard here, I was anxious to try Ice, and already had a new bottle. It was also very warm that day so I really didn't want to risk using my regular Meguiars liquid. I attempted to follow the directions as close as possible, but opted out of doing the whole truck at once. I started with a small spot, and was very happy with the result, so I pressed to larger and larger surfaces.

Again, at first I was happy, but I quickly noticed more and more lighter and darker spots that made buffing more difficult. After lots of rubbing, I still ended up with what looked like an awesome shine, and even from lots of different angles, I couldn't detect any unevenness.

Just a couple of days later, with no rain, the finish no longer looks so great. I've noticed more and more un-even spots, and lots of smears that I KNOW weren't there. There's also quite a bit more dust collecting than I'd normally expect on it. I have one of those California dusters that usually works awesome on a recently waxed vehicle. Yeah, not so much on the ice. It just seems to cause smeary spots.

It's too bad, 'cause I really had high hopes for the stuff, and I LOVED the way it worked on all of the rubber, chrome, and textures. I also loved the fact that I could do it outside in the sun on a warm day.

One more thing that just made the experience...

I'm 6' and still the only way that I could reach the raised center part of the hood up by the windshield was to get up on a step-ladder and brace myself with one hand on the hood to reach over. I'm not a huge guy either, and I attempted to be as light as I could to avoid leaving much of a hand-print on the nice clean surface. As I was walking around the vehicle the couple days after the wax, I noticed a small indent in the hood where my bracing hand was. Come on... REALLY??
Sponsored links
Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

That last part was another reason I got my 2/4 drop! Sorry it wasn't all it's cracked up to be!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
mmullengs is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the write up on the Ice Product. I was on the fence about using this stuff, but the durability of the applied wax appears to be lack luster. I'll stick with the Meguiars since I know what to expect.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:353
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

If you look in the "General Maintance Section" there is a wealth of information about polishes, waxs and sealants, along with people experience using them. Thanks for the write up.
Jay
Old 07-22-2011, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough

Regarding the indent on the hood..

Sheet metal is pretty soft on these, isn't it? You can actually, after time, see slight deformations around the door handles and what not, and I have a similar (almost undetectable to anybody but me) indentation on my hood - not from me, but I assume from somebody servicing it at the dealer, etc. I can't believe how soft the metal is.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
wildchildfla is on a distinguished road

As far as the hood goes, my brother and I mounted a xm satellite antenna under the hood and could not get any reception, come to find out the hood is not sheet metal at all, (magnets do not stick to it). It looks to be some kind of plastic or fiberglass material. Anyone else heard of this?
Old 07-22-2011, 05:46 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Reg Cab S/B 4X4
Trim Level: Sport/SLT
Color: Black Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:199
Blackzilla has a spectacular aura aboutBlackzilla has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to Blackzilla

been using all ice products with none of the problems you've had. twice a month waste the ram and the charger r/t then hit it with the detail spray.
Mods....Mopar CAI,Mufflex 14'' Retro,Mufflex 5'' Blk Tips,3M C/F Stripes,Blk Shortie Antenna,Low Profile Tonneau,20% Tint,De-Badge,5% Tint Front Stripe,In-Channel AVS,LED Rear Light Bar,Blk Interior Dash Kit, SilverStars High/Low/Fogs,Blk Chrome Shadow Badges,BT Blk Raptor Shifter Knob,Blk Dash Mat
Old 07-22-2011, 07:23 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:353
Pull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nicePull Ya is just really nice

I have never used "Ice" and don't know what the directions say so this is kinda a shot in the dark---
You need to take the wax off so I think I would wash the truck with Dawn again. There are a huge number of types of wax, polish and sealants. The best information you can get about these products is on --autogeek.net. They not only sell professional products for detailer, they go to great lengths to explain about the use of waxes, polishes and sealants along with detailed how to information. They are not a big box store and don't sell "cheap" wax or polish. Just a couple of guesses would be--try to wax your truck in the shade, use very little wax(larger amounts of wax doesn't mean better results) do smaller areas and use good microfiber cloths. If you have any small scratches or swirls you may have to use a polish first and then a good wax--these are 2 seperate steps.
"Leadfootluke" is kinda the resident "expert detailer" in this section so maybe he will chime in and give you more/better advise. Good Luck.
Jay
Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
I have never used "Ice" and don't know what the directions say so this is kinda a shot in the dark---
You need to take the wax off so I think I would wash the truck with Dawn again. There are a huge number of types of wax, polish and sealants. The best information you can get about these products is on --autogeek.net. They not only sell professional products for detailer, they go to great lengths to explain about the use of waxes, polishes and sealants along with detailed how to information. They are not a big box store and don't sell "cheap" wax or polish. Just a couple of guesses would be--try to wax your truck in the shade, use very little wax(larger amounts of wax doesn't mean better results) do smaller areas and use good microfiber cloths. If you have any small scratches or swirls you may have to use a polish first and then a good wax--these are 2 seperate steps.
"Leadfootluke" is kinda the resident "expert detailer" in this section so maybe he will chime in and give you more/better advise. Good Luck.
Jay
Great points Jay.

I have actually used ICE and can say it sucked for me. It will last a few washes [if that] whereas a real wax/sealant can last dozens. Do your self a favor and strip the wax and use a real wax instead. It will work as advertised on chrome, plastic, etc and feel free to continue trying it on those materials as it does work well. However, your paint deserves much more. Another possible fear I have is how much pressure you exerted on your paint with the applicator/towel. It can be easily marred and swirled up with pressure. ICE is not very slick and when your applying/buffing off you could induce swirls without a proper technique.

Depending on your budget, look on autogeek.net or surf autopia.org for reviews and information on waxes/sealants or go to your local auto store and pick up meguiars nxt wax or ultimate wax, which will be sufficiently better than ICE.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Nice write up and from what my body shop brother-in-law says about the new RAM the hood is a light weight aluminum for weight savings.