DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
tubtubca is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Economy Advice

I have a '09 Ram and like all of you im always looking for ways to make it a little more fuel efficient. right now i only have a K&N Cold Air Intake installed and that helped out a lot but i still want to do more. I was doing some research and im thinking about getting;

a high permance muffler (i heard flowmaster 40 is one of the best to help improve fuel efficiency)
Diablo sport predator mod for the engine

im hoping someone can offer their input on the pro's and con's of these or if there are any better parts or ways to help improve fuel economy
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '09 RAM 1500 4dr
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:61
Studbuster will become famous soon enough

The ONLY way to improve fuel economy and save money you will never recoop in fuel savings is to keep your foot off the floor. But that is no fun!

IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU FIND TIME TO DO IT OVER??
Dave
Old 07-19-2011, 07:25 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

a good exhaust will help the engine breathe better, though I doubt that you'll see much of an improvement in fuel economy. You'll make it sound a lot better though

The DSP is said to be one of the best out there for our trucks. I personally don't have one, and I don't know much about 'em. If you check out the section of the forumZ on the DSP you might be able to find out more info on what they're capable of. I've linked it below.

http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 07-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
notnks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to notnks

Get a tonneau cover, you will get about 1.5-2 mgp gain on the hi-way. I have read a couple studies on them and have experienced in on my other truck.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:48 PM

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: deep water blue
Rep:85
HEMILANCER will become famous soon enough

coasting to stops by watching redlights far ahead is the best bang for the buck mod. lol how long does it take to pay back fuel savings on an exhaust.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:51 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Crimson Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
DBryant is on a distinguished road

All the mods listed might (I said might) get you 1 mpg at the most, providing you don't change your driving habits. The best way to improve milage is to drive like you have an egg under the gas pedal. Of course with a Hemi, this is no fun. Lots of money wasted on mods to get better fuel economy, don't you think if it was that easy the factory would do it. They want all the milage they can get out of these trucks for Cafe regs and bragging rights.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:54
gs283020 will become famous soon enough

I was averaging about 19 mpg highway when I first got my truck for a month. I know a lot of people are going to argue with me but I have hand calculated it myself. I have since added a Tonneau cover, AFE CAI, and a Magnaflow muffler swap(Y pipe is waiting in the basement for the end of the month). With this set up I made a lot of trips because my Mother-in-law was visiting for 6 months. We went to Niagra Falls, upstate NY, Baltimore, Washington D.C., NYC, Ohio, and a bunch of parks all over multiple states since I got my truck on March 1st. With my wife, m-i-l, myself, and 3 people's luggage I was easily getting 21-22 mpg. I am not saying it is day and night but even without a tuner(still waiting for them to release for 11) I got 2-3 mpg more on freeway with this set-up.

Also for those of you who say it won't pay for itself, do the math. 3 mpg more that is say 75 miles more per tank for math sake with a 25 gallon fill-up. With gas at $4.00 a gallon, say that we saved 4-5 gallons of gas per fill up. Therefore saving $20-25 a tank... How many times do you fill up your truck in the time you own it?

Also before you stipulate, I realize also that the #1 most important thing to do saving gas is to stay off of right pedal. I am one that likes to have the extra under the hood, but I also want to be able to use it as a practical trip/daily driver vehicle. I believe that with what I have done, I have made it just that...
Old 07-20-2011, 12:08 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Tuner will be the best mod for fuel economy. The others (intake and exhaust, etc...) you may not even notice. A tuner WILL definitely pay off even though it may take a year, maybe 2 years. This is based on you driving normal, not flooring it everywhere to take advantage of the new found power.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:20 PM

Vehicle: 2009 RAM 1500 CC 4X4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
awful knawful is on a distinguished road

I got a solid 2mpg with the Superchips in city/rural driving on the 87 tune. I drive it easy too.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:26 PM

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: deep water blue
Rep:85
HEMILANCER will become famous soon enough

idk yall my truck has a drop in filter and a bed cover at its best( 68mph for 200 miles) i get 22.5mpg's. i'm really hesitant to modify anything. i live on flat ground at sea level so conditions r ideal. Be careful how u modify your vehicle sometimes your better off leaving it alone, unexplained things can happen and these aren't fuel saving vehicles.