DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 4X4 HEMI
Trim Level: Sport-Offroad
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
2001RAMSPORT is on a distinguished road
Default CB Radio Information

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram Sport-Offroad edition and I was thinking about getting a CB radio for my truck. I need some advice on different antennas and mounting it.

I have a few questions:

-Does anyone know where a good place would be to mount my CB, if so any pictures?
-Also, from experience does anyone know how a magnetic antenna works?
-How would I make/mount an antenna onto a bracket?
-Best way and place to mount and ground the antenna?

Thanks for everyones help in advance, if you could help me with any questions that would be great.
Sponsored links
Old 01-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

I mounted my CB next to the T-case shifter. I used bracketry from Radio Shack.
A magnetic antenna sticks to your body. Best mounted to the roof. Don't know if you have a slide open rear window but I ran my wire through there. BTW it hangs tough until you hit a couple of low tree branches, then it ends up in your bed.
Most CB shops or truck stops have brackets made of aluminum that will mount your antenna. Again, I don't know if you have a bed cover but if not you can mount the antenna bracket to that. If you have a bed liner you can drill through that and mount it.
I used to have mone mounted to the back of my tool box. I ran the antenna cable under my matting and behind the rear seat, then when I went off roading I screwed the cable to the plug on the bracket and then screwed my antenna on. I didn't minfd leaving the rear slider open a crack, but due to theft I always removed my antenna shaft and cable.
You may wish to hard wire yours, which means you should find a drain hole or grommet in your floor and run it through there to your bed.
Wether you can thread your cable through the drain holes or elsewhere is up to you. Hookup your cable where the instructions tell you to and make sure your connections are tight and either coated with brush on insulation or heat shrink. Soldering all joints is best!
Check your SWR (signal wave strength ratio) or by the "radio check" method and you should be done.

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 01-24-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:31 PM

Vehicle: 1998 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: deep amythest and silver mist
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
984wdram is on a distinguished road

i got a plastic mount with a built in external speaker that i had to cut for it to fit on slightly over my 4wd shifter. i cut a slit in the carpet under the mount to run the coax through, down through the plug under the driver side carpet, along the frame rail up between the cab and bed, to my whip antenna mounted to my toolbox. i also grounded my mount with a piece of wire to the frame of my truck. that dropped the swr way down.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 01 dodge ram 4x4 qc sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: intense blue perl
moparman360 is on a distinguished road

when i get pics up to day ill show you how its done lol hears what you need to do and understand bout cbs and trucks first you need more than half of youer whip above the cab of youre truck. two dual cb whipps look cool but unless they are a minium of 48inches apart they suck. 3 truckers dont like 4wheelrs. 4 youer cb will come from the factory with maby 7watts of power tweek and peak it at a shop right off the bat. and 4 (i think im on 4) fiber glass antennas suck little wire kinda wrapped around it go steel whip. now that being said what i have and how its set up. i have a crobra 29ltd classic (usa mic hook up in the front not china side hook up) peaked and tweeked with galaxy 99 finals pushing 35watts with a willson 5000 mag mount whip 1.1 swr will shoot skip 35 miles on a good skip day. now the willsom will handel 5000 watts but ur paint will melt before you get to that. you dont have to ground a whip or a glass one. now i have my coax going between my cab and bed under the truck into the engine bay and through a factory grommet in the fire wall cb is mounted by cigar tray and 4x4 shifter have seen them on the bottom of the cup holder to. now i dont know youre budget or how much reserch you have done so ill make my recomandations. cobra 29ltd classic chrome with night watch (great starter) peaked and tweeked with a mag mount wilson 2000 and uniden stock mic. what you will have room to do is put galaxy doubel digits finals in (ex99 88 77 66 55) and a kicker (amp for watts) and a powered mic if you want now you can also do a non mag mount if you want but id still put it in the center of the truck youre probally looking bout 250 300 for that set up other wise youll be wasting money and not b happy hope this helps
Old 03-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 01 dodge ram 4x4 qc sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: intense blue perl
moparman360 is on a distinguished road

oh and wire the cb to the battery so you dont have alternator whine basically youll hear the alternator speed chang as you take off and rev up through the speaker
Old 03-02-2011, 04:08 AM

Vehicle: 1998 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: deep amythest and silver mist
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
984wdram is on a distinguished road

just dont wire the ground to the battery. the ground on the battery still has voltage coming through it. best place to ground it at is a true chasis ground. either pull your carpet back, drill a hole, and ground it to the floor of the truck, or run it straight to the frame.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

if you want a magnetic mount, go with the BIG WILSON on your roof, run the cable through your door before closing, or the rear window
the Magnetic mount LIL WILSON will also work

you can buy mounts that fit into your bed stake pockets or on a tool box in the bed of your truck
you want to mount to metal, the larger the piece of metal the better, more ground plane

don't use a Firestick antenna, the signal only goes directly up
WILSON Antennas spread out

if you only have plastic, wood, or Fiberglas to mount to, use a zero ground plane antenna, like they use on boats & motorcycles
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 04-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Ram 1500 QuadC 4x4, 46re
LockeStocknBarrel is on a distinguished road

Here are a couple pics of my recent installation:

I used a "Hump-Mount" Bracket to mount the CB to the floor over the transmission. That is a 6 switch back lit box from galls mounted on top for the siren horn, strobes, and auxiliary lighting.

This is a FirestikII 3' antenna, using a Firestik channel mount bracket, and Fire-Ring coax. They Make a channel mount braket specifically for the Ram hood, but I had already bought this one, so I made it work best I could. I actually really like the forward positioning.

If i had to do it again, I would probably avoid the Firestik and go with a full 106" whip by browning. Also, because of the mounting location I'm getting a lot of electrical noise coming in from the power cable. I have 2 12amp noise reducers on the way, which I'm hoping will solve the problem. If there is any interest I can post better pics of the install.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:30 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparman360 View Post
i have a crobra 29ltd classic (usa mic hook up in the front not china side hook up) peaked and tweeked with galaxy 99 finals pushing 35watts with a willson 5000 mag mount whip
Sounds like my setup only I'm running a Wilson 1000 and a Road King 56 40th anniversary edition. Also have echo switch and talk back with an external speaker. Gotta get a new antenna and set it all up in the new truck.
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 dodge ram 1500 sport 1cab
Color: black
warrenc is on a distinguished road

get a wilson 1000 roof mount and drill that hole you get more reception and you cant go wrong with a cobra 29