DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Wiggitty is on a distinguished road
Default Looking to lower the rear end of my truck. Need help.

There seems to be no kits out there to simply lower the back end of my 4x2 truck. The goal I am trying to accomplish is to have my truck sit level. Typically this can be achieved with shackles, except they do not make them for my year. (2009) Can anyone help me out and give me some kind of option to make this happen?

-Wiggitty-
Sponsored links
Old 07-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Your truck has a coil rear suspension, shackles are for leaf springs so is not applicable to your truck. There are some members on here that have cut their rear springs to lower the back 2" or so, and have had success with this. Others have bought kits from groundforce I believe, maybe others as well... I also know a company called ottomax makes kits (chevykllr used it). good luck.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:10 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Use the search box, type 'lowering rear" or something like that there's a few threads that should pop up with info...

Old 07-28-2011, 12:02 PM

Vehicle: 2010 HEMI Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:62
rarichard will become famous soon enough

look in the suspension section as I just did this days ago. The cheapest way out for a 2wd is to cut the coils, about 1 and 1/2, and use stock shocks. Very easy to do and since you have 2wd, most people wouldn't even think that it's custom.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Express
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
TylerB is on a distinguished road

I've cut mine also. Took off 1-3/4 coils since I'm a reg. cab which is a tad bit lighter. The rear is about 1/2" higher now. No problems with bottoming out or towing. Only tools needed are a cut-off wheel, jack, and a pair of jack stands.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:52 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright white
Rep:13
Stainless is on a distinguished road

Easier, heat the coils with a torch when they are supporting the vehicle, just go slow and have some keep a measuring tape from the ground to the fender lip.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Easier, heat the coils with a torch when they are supporting the vehicle, just go slow and have some keep a measuring tape from the ground to the fender lip.
Please don't ever do this with a coil spring! It will ruin the spring and is very dangerous. You will end up with this:

If you want to lower the rear cheap and easy, cut the rear coils (at the top) about 1.5 coils, and don't heat them! Don't use anything that will get them hot, heat ruins springs. Use a sawzaw, cut off wheel, etc... and go slow, keep the springs cool.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Please don't ever do this with a coil spring! It will ruin the spring and is very dangerous. You will end up with this:

If you want to lower the rear cheap and easy, cut the rear coils (at the top) about 1.5 coils, and don't heat them! Don't use anything that will get them hot, heat ruins springs. Use a sawzaw, cut off wheel, etc... and go slow, keep the springs cool.
I have never seen that happen, thats too much heat too fast in one area, thats why i said go slow, i have seen this done several times and it worked great. On the same side cutting coil springs is not recommended as springs In most cases are progressive, which means they have a different spring rate top to bottom, replacing the spring is the best thing to do in all cases.

Last edited by Stainless; 08-05-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 PM

The only way to properly heat and change the spring length would be to apply even heat slowly, which is impossible with a torch. If I were to do this I would clamp the spring to the desired length, and then put it in an oven. Actually I would never heat my springs....it really is very dangerous...Heating and bending metal makes it very weak and sometimes even worse, brittle. I had a friend with a F150 with twin I beam suspension and he heated the I beams and bent them for alignment after a lift (he was too cheap to buy a proper kit). I warned him and afterwards he raved about how great it worked and how much money he saved....months later one of the I beams broke in half from a bump in the road.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 PM

Bull shlit we did it on our SNOW PLOW at work, its just people that don't know what they are doing.....been there done it. I've done it dude.....best way replace your springs. Fords I beams are cast iron, are they not, you cannot heat and bend cast iron, only spring steel. Either way I don't rec both methods I just said it was a easy way.