DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
mtnbkr123 is on a distinguished road

Great write up. Thanks. Tons of info and really nicely written.
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:21
Studdlygoof is on a distinguished road

Couple more quick updates before I hit the sack for the night. Didn't get as much done as I wanted to this weekend, but I think the box is finally starting to look like its supposed to have subwoofers in it.

I'm going with a totally sealed in amp rack so I had to supplement air circulation to keep the temperature down from the lack of regular convection cooling. I am accomplishing this with two 3" 12v computer fans, one pushing the other pulling. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to install the fans in the box without you being able to tell that they are there. The back fan is easily hidden by the seat, but the front fan will sit out in the open and easy to spot. My solution to this comes in the form of one of those chrome third brake light covers you can buy to customize your lights. There are plenty of slots in them to allow airflow. I can take it on and off with two easy accesible screws to access the fan for maintenance, and it will give it a little bit of a design element.

Here are a couple pictures of what I have so far. It's kind of hard to see the finished product through these pictures, but you'll just have to put your imagination caps on for the moment.

This picture shows the basic structure. The amp has a 1" gap all the way around it as per manufacture's specifications. The slot in the front wall is where the front fan will mount inside the enclosure. The fan in the back will actually sit outside the box so I built a channel behind the rear slot to help channel the air out of the box. Each hole has a 1/4" routered edge around it to help it look a bit better when you're looking down at the amp.

Here are the fans sitting in place. (Like I said before, the rear fan will be sitting outside the box, but I just hadn't drilled the slot in the rear wall of the box at the time the picture was taken.) Alll the wires for the fans will be run in the gaps under the amp rack with quick disconnects spliced in so I can change out fans easily if need be.

This finally picture shows the cover that will be attached to the tops of the walls. It will get a routered lip into it where a 1/2" piece of plexiglass will sit into that will be laser engraved (thanks to a favor called in to a buddy at my old machine shop) and lit up with led's. The edge of the plexiglass will then be covered in a frame made out of diamond plate to hide the leds in the edges of the plexiglass.

Right now im in the process of laying down a couple layers of primer paint base to the inside of the enclosure, soon followed by a couple layers of the black spray on bed liner paint.

It probably looks a bit confusing right now (Believe me I have spent a lot of time with beer in head just staring at the thing to get the visual in my head) but I think it will turn out to be pretty nice.

More to come in the next couple days as I get time to tinker with it. Thanks for all the comments and support. This has been a pretty fun project thus far!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: white
Rep:199
Ryank has a spectacular aura aboutRyank has a spectacular aura about

Looking really good, have a lot of work into it!
Old 08-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:44
The Codes is on a distinguished road

really great thread for anyone with a 2nd gen thinking about making a sub box, like myself. Really looking forward to seeing your final product man, great job so far
Old 08-23-2011, 03:10 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad
Color: Grey
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:32
Maddevill is on a distinguished road
Talking Sub box

...or you could just buy my Thunderform Box with the 2 MTX 10" subs for $150 plus shipping....
Just saying
Old 09-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Been a while since I have gotten on here to update but I have good reason. An earthquake, a hurricane and now a ignition problem in the wifes Dodge Journey has kept me pretty busy. Thoughout all this; however, I have found time to work on the box here and there. The speaker rings have been my main focus. I dont have a plunge router and I wanted a cleaner cut than a jigsaw could have given me. I ended up taking some 1/8" masonite and making templates for each set of my rings.

To make sure these rings were concentric i used an old fashioned gasket cutter to cut them out.

I then nailed the rings down to the MDF and used a flush cutting router bit to trace them out. I left the bottom ring a bit big so when I glued the two rings together I could run the router bit around them again and make everthing flush on the outside.

May have been a bit back asswards from what everyone does but I was happy with the turnout and the speakers fit great.

I've seen how a lot of people have suspended their rings with dowel rods hot glued in place. I was worried that this method would not allow me to get even results with my rings though because of the different angles I wanted to keep them flush with. To solve this I turned to my doweling jig. Using a bit of trig I vaguely remembered from highschool I drew parallel and perpendicular lines on the edges of the circle 180 and 90 deg from eachother. Here's a finished picture. Kind of hard to explain on the interent so I won't bore you. If anyone is looking for some good sleeping material I can post how I did it per request

This picture shows the speaker ring and lines before it was cut. The straight lines on the outsides of the circle are to help me line up the doweling jig. Each bottom ring was doweled with two holes each on three sides. The next two pictures show how the jig lined up on the ring after the rings were cut out.

Here's what it looks like afterwards. All holes were driled 4" apart

After both sets of rings were drilled I turned my attention to the box. I figured out where in the box I wanted the rings centered and drew center lines. Then I drilled holes 4" apart again with the use of the doweling jig on three sides of each box.

You can also see from this picture that I have since added fiberglass to the inside of each sub enclosure totally sealing up all the seams with 3 more layers of glass.

After all the holes were drilled, I took 3/8" dowel and cut it to length to fit each span and in no time at all I ended up with suspended speaker rings

And for the first time since the build began the speakers where placed in their new home.

I still have to go along and trim all the dowel rod off but I'll do that after they are glued in. The rings are suprisingly rigid and I can push down on them with a decent amount of force and they won't flex. Probably overkill but it wont hurt. You can also see the amp rack in place. I have also since finished it with a can of spray on bed liner. Might add another later on. Next up comes wiring. With the ignition problem in the Dodge Journey I had an excuse to go buy a decent multimeter so I'm itiching to try it out on the wiring ill have to do for the lights and fans. Then I think i'll finally be ready to add my fleece to the whole shell.

More to come.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:44
The Codes is on a distinguished road

your very meticulous in your work man, great job and best of luck with the weather and issues your dealing with.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:08 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: white
Rep:199
Ryank has a spectacular aura aboutRyank has a spectacular aura about

Looking good! Bet it'll sound good.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 PM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM CC SPORT
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 1981-1987 225ci (3.7L) Slant-6 95hp
Rep:34
Frank Drebin is on a distinguished road

What kind of resin/matt did you use? I had a bitch of a time with the bondo crap, but the napa brand was a lot easier to use.

Btw your work would put a lot of pro shops to shame. Looks great.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Frank I used the bondo brand (same brand autozone sells but you can get it a bit cheaper at Homedepot). I haven't had much of a problem with the resin. I used the bondo Mat fiberglass too with no problems. What type of problems were you having?