DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting HID - HALO - LED LIGHTING - UNDERBODY LIGHTING - TINTED/SMOKED/PAINTED TAILS - ETC.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of
Default Finally found decent low beam bulbs.

Well it took a couple of attempts but finally have lowbeams that work!

PIAA Extreme White Plus 4000k, I now have to get a set for the highs as well, these things are pretty awesome! No glare and I didn't get one flash from oncoming traffic. Really good light output for a halogen bulb. Finally impressed with a bulb in these stock housings.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Sponsored links
Old 07-23-2011, 11:25 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

I always liked the PIAA bulbs, nice bright white output!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:57 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Ram Hood
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:516
Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

Expensive, but well worth it!

Pictures??
Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

I tried getting pics but I don't have a good enough camera to really show the difference. It's one of those deals that you'll just have to come over to my place and we will go for a tear in the Ram and you can see the difference

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Ram Hood
Color: White
Rep:516
Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

Alberta is a nice little journey from north eastern ontario here ha

I Believe ya though, I replaced my headlights in the Nitro with a set of PIAAs. I was really surprised.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:58 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump3r View Post
I tried getting pics but I don't have a good enough camera to really show the difference. It's one of those deals that you'll just have to come over to my place and we will go for a tear in the Ram and you can see the difference
Would you recommend the PIAA bulbs then? I'm on the fence whether to purchase the PIAAs or put in 35w 6000K HID.
So many people have had issues with getting their HID kit to work in the 2011 Dodge Rams.
I ran PIAAs in one of my previous vehicles. I found these bulbs put off a lot of heat (enough to burn a ring around the housing!) I don't want that to happen again. The plus side is these bulbs would be simple plug-n-play.
Down side is the light quality.

Do the PIAA bulbs make that much of a difference at night for driving? Do they light up the road enough? I don't want to do this twice; either it's PIAA bulbs or HID kit.

Any advice?
Old 10-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Cheery Red Crystal pearl Coat
Rep:10
Demons03 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpearldodge View Post
Would you recommend the PIAA bulbs then? I'm on the fence whether to purchase the PIAAs or put in 35w 6000K HID.
So many people have had issues with getting their HID kit to work in the 2011 Dodge Rams.
I ran PIAAs in one of my previous vehicles. I found these bulbs put off a lot of heat (enough to burn a ring around the housing!) I don't want that to happen again. The plus side is these bulbs would be simple plug-n-play.
Down side is the light quality.

Do the PIAA bulbs make that much of a difference at night for driving? Do they light up the road enough? I don't want to do this twice; either it's PIAA bulbs or HID kit.

Any advice?
An in the cab view of the lights on the road would be great to tell the difference... as far as the H.I.D's you can never go wrong with them... id get the 55W ballasts though.. and as far as the problems with the 2011's... im pretty sure you just have to get the relay harness along with it.. it all PaP i believe... 3bspec.com or DDMTuning.com are good places to get the H.I.D's from..
Old 10-11-2011, 03:39 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demons03 View Post
An in the cab view of the lights on the road would be great to tell the difference... as far as the H.I.D's you can never go wrong with them... id get the 55W ballasts though.. and as far as the problems with the 2011's... im pretty sure you just have to get the relay harness along with it.. it all PaP i believe... 3bspec.com or DDMTuning.com are good places to get the H.I.D's from..

What does the relay harness do and do you have to "tie" into any existing wires?
The kit I'm looking at has a built-in capacitor (handling CANBUS issues: bulb-out and flicker). The supplier has an additional wire that gets spliced into the high/low beam wires (but only on NON-quad lights). I've been assured I do not need to do the splice because I have the quad lamp.

I do not know what the relay harness is; what it looks like or it's purpose.

Can anyone shed light on the harness?
BTW: I am looking at a different supplier for my HID kit. It is the HYLUX product with the ASIC chip. I've read this is a very good ballast, and the failure rate is like 0.2%.

The thought of having to splice into other wires does not please me.
A local supplier/dealer told me his kits have to be directly wired into the ignition wire. I understand it's because of the voltage output differences perhaps when you are starting the truck. BUT I DO NOT WANT TO SPLICE INTO ANY WIRES.

I'm slowly turning away from HIDs! My last pair (in my GM vehicle) went in so easily. Why does Dodge have so many issues??????

Also, the kit I'm looking at is the slim ballast kit. I've read lots of posts suggesting people stay away from the slim ballast. Is this true? Reasoning?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:55 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:44
wigbill98 is on a distinguished road

All a relay is, is a switch. all the relay does is when you turn on your headlights it energizes the relay and it puts a constant 12v power to the ballast. They come with plugs that plug directly into your current headlight plug which is why they call it Plug and Play.

Yes there is more to the story, Dodge's do however have a problem with their electrical systems. Well its not a problem, it can have negative effects on HID's.

Dodge's electrical system is based on a pulse modulated electrical current. The problem comes into to play with the relay. The computer sends a pulsed electrical current which sometimes acts like a AC sine wave more than a DC sine wave. (yes this is very technical jargin but just stay with me) A DC sine wave has a very distinct on and off. AC sine wave (alternating current) looks like a wave up and down.

So now the problem. The relay needs a constant 12v DC signal to become energized to where it acts like a switch to turn on your HID's. So sometimes it recognizes it as a AC sine wave so the relay will turn on and off at a very high rate which is called Relay chatter or buzzing.

So this will cause your HID's to flicker or not even come on because the ballasts need that constant 12v's to keep the high intensity lights going.

There are "error cancellers" and things to solve this that are completely plug and play.

Hope this helps. Its a lot of electrical terms but any further help let me know!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:18 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Hemi Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:34
johnnyG is on a distinguished road

that is an awesome upgrade. i was sold on those until i read about the sylvania zxe bulbs and was able to get the heads and fogs for 60 bucks total off of ebay. i love the new look and they are great at night. i also aimed the lights a little higher than stock. sorry for the bad pic but it was the best i could do in a semi open garage during the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lights.jpg (72.4 KB, 31 views)
SC 3865, K&N CAI, Fastman TB, Magnaflow Y to 18", sonnax, Zeon LTZs, Bilstein HDs, LEDs everywhere, sylvania ZXE heads and fogs, shorty antenna, all aftermarket audio and subs, linex, ez down tailgate and lots and lots of love.