DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-25-2011, 03:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice
Default C-clip/rear diff issue...info and questions

Hi all. I have spent the last two hours researching this. I'm actually surprised it took me so long to run across this issue.

What I know (or think I know, lol)....lots of third gen trucks with the 3.92 LSD have issues with c-clips (I think they are called) falling/breaking/wearing off inside the diff. The diff may continue to function normally for a little while or a long while but things inside are actually moving around and wearing in ways that they shouldn't, not to mention the damage that can be caused by the metal shavings and fragments from the broken clips. The damage that can result could be as simple as the clips needing replacement or the gears and even the rear diff housing being damaged and needing replacement. 2005 and older trucks (not sure how far back this goes) may be covered by the factory 7 year/70k mile powertrain warranty which Dodge changed to only 3 years/36k miles starting in 2006. For whatever reason Dodge has decided not to issue a recall.

What I would like to know....
Is the summary above correct?

How common is this? I have read a bunch of peeps with this issue with nearly no miles on their trucks. Is this issue nearly a guarantee or does it just sound that way because I am only reading about the folks that have had issues? Is it more prevalent or unlikely in any certain years?

What can you do to help save your rear end, lol? Just pull the cover and see what's going on in there and then repair as needed?

I have read about peeps replacing the stocker with an aftermarket diff like this Detroit Truetrac http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-913A368/ Is this part all that goes inside the pumpkin or are there other gears/parts that would have to be purchased?

I know this thread is long and this is a lot of questions but I am going to have my truck's rear checked soon and wouild like to be educated. Maybe it will compile the info for others in the future as well. Thanks all!!!
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 07-25-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2011, 07:56 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, I don't have an answer so, it's time to .................... this back to the top!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:23 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Okay, so is it that this issue is so common and there is so much info that everyone assumes I should be able to look it up myself? Or is it that it really isn't as common as I thought and no one really has any info, lol?
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
ramoreno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
Okay, so is it that this issue is so common and there is so much info that everyone assumes I should be able to look it up myself? Or is it that it really isn't as common as I thought and no one really has any info, lol?
i have this problem right now, and i surprised for not found any info in ram Z, 2 hours and this is 1 of 3 post, if you have info plis, give me some advise, i found info in dodge talk, but scary me, because i dont want to spend $900 in my differential righ now, sorry for my english,
Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

C clips falling out is not all that common on factory installed rear ends
it usually takes a lot of use before it happens
that being said, it does happen
maybe that is why most service manuals read that you need to service the rear end every so many miles, like 30,000 miles for instance
Chrysler products like our Rams DANA made 9.25 rear ends don't come with a drain plug, so the whole rear cover (12 bolts) have to be taken off to drain the fluid. The technician then has a clear view of the whole differential pumpkin, the C clips are easy to see, as is the wear pattern of the gears

People who put their vehicle through a lot of stress, like racing or severe off roading, have to check the rear end more often. Some even go with a product called a
C CLIP ELIMINATOR KIT

Any garage that is ASE Certified, would know what to look for
just don't go to an Jiffy Lube, Quick Lube, EZ Lube, Econo Lube & Tune, etc., even if they have an ASE Certified sign, because they stole the sign from somewhere else
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 08-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

ok just google this: Clutch Pack retaining Clips, and you are gonna find a lots of broken c clips pics, so i dont really whant to know if is a commond problem, just wanna know what happen if i dont change the c clips, in my search someone even say that dont do anything, thats why i ask in here the forum where i find answer all the time. sorry again,
Old 08-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
maybe that is why most service manuals read that you need to service the rear end every so many miles, like 30,000 miles for instance
Chrysler products like our Rams DANA made 9.25 rear ends don't come with a drain plug, so the whole rear cover (12 bolts) have to be taken off to drain the fluid. The technician then has a clear view of the whole differential pumpkin, the C clips are easy to see, as is the wear pattern of the gears

People who put their vehicle through a lot of stress, like racing or severe off roading, have to check the rear end more often. Some even go with a product called a
C CLIP ELIMINATOR KIT

just don't go to an Jiffy Lube, Quick Lube, EZ Lube, Econo Lube & Tune, etc., even if they have an ASE Certified sign, because they stole the sign from somewhere else
i think is just in the 9.25 gear
Old 08-23-2011, 09:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

the RAMS have used the 9.25 DANA rear end for more than 15 years
the ratios can be changed, but the rear end size stays the same

small chrysler vehicles, including the Jeep, used a SPICER/DANA 8.25 rear end

the 8.25 or 9.25 designates the size of the RING GEAR

i can't mention the name of another forum on here, but if you view this google page & look at the 4th site down, you may find out a bit more about C clips
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&xhr=t&q...w=1024&bih=550
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 08-23-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Find em hot leave em wet

Vehicle: 12 RAM 1500 qc 4x4 HEMI
Trim Level: express
Color: bright silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:204
moparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post

C CLIP ELIMINATOR KIT

Not to be a dick since I get alotta good info from you and alotta help but my truck does have drain plug in the rear