DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 HEMI Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:62
rarichard will become famous soon enough
Default Cut My Coils!

took out a coil and a quarter, then another quarter to bring the truck down 3 inches in the back, and to within 1/2" rake. Doesn't ride any different. Kept the stock shocks in for now. Did this with my mechanic and also replaced an end link, and put on the full magnaflow exhaust all in under two hours with a quick cruise after the first cut to see how much it lowered it. With a lift, the coils could be done in less than an hour start to finish, easy. I am thinking about possibly putting limiting straps so the dealer doesn't lift the truck up and the springs just fall out, I'm gonna wait until the shocks give a little to replace them with shorter ones that will cure the falling out problem.

Overall, pretty happy with the results, I did just in case buy a brand new set of springs to do this on, that way if I effed it up, I could put back what was in there.

the stock springs on a 1500 CC are about 3/4" taller on the driver side, probably for the gas. I did the same cut of 1and1/4 coils, then another quarter minus a hair, and it brought the truck down level side to side and pretty close front to back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8046.jpg (89.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8447.jpg (124.1 KB, 108 views)
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2011, 10:29 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

I like the way it looks, neat wheels too!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
SDoriginal is on a distinguished road

Nice work, looks good! Just curious, if you bought new coils (in case of effing it up), why not just buy lowering coils and pull the stock coils?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:10 PM

I couldn't find the exact combo that I was looking for at the price I wanted. Plus, this way I could truly put the truck where I wanted. I'm a little concerned about warranty issues as well, say for instance I have an issue with rear end or something and they say something like, well those 3 inches screwed your truck, if that happened, I'd probably just put the original ones back in before taking it in. Also, after the warranty runs out, i can sell the ones I bought new to make it almost free in the end. I've spent way too much money on this thing so I'm trying to be as frugile as possible.

And those steps will be getting cut off, soon.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^^ and since it only takes about 30 minutes to swap the coils, I'd definitely swap them if you take it in for warranty/service related to the rear of the truck.

I got lucky and bought a pretty much brand new set of coils from a guy on this forum, I have yet to cut them, but when I get time I am going to do the same thing you and others have done. I'll also still have my stock springs in the garage that I can swap if I'm hauling or towing something heavy (might do this a few times a year to TN). People tell me "wouldn't it be easier to just get helper bags or something", but if it takes 30 min to swap the springs, it's really not a big deal to me for the handful of times a year I'll change them...Plus I only paid shipping on the other springs, so this will all basically be free for me.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:27 PM

I'm actually planning on installing the firestone bag inside the spring if I ever feel the need to have it, I couldn't swap out the springs that often as I don'e have all the necessary jack and stands plus I'm on a slightly slanted driveway, so I had to pony up $50 at my mechanic's shop to use his lift for this.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:30 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I see, I also have a slanted driveway, but I live at the end of a dead end road, so I just put the truck on the street, then I'm able to block my front wheels, lift the back of the truck by the hitch with an extended reach jack I got from Kmart for about $80 and the help of a couple 2x4 pieces to get the height needed to pull the tires off the ground, and swap the springs all in less than 30min.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.