DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-28-2011, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Fame Red!!!
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
Jebster is on a distinguished road
Default Rhino Lining problem

I had a Rhino Liner sprayed in by Ziebart on Monday. Was putting my tonneau cover on and was in the bed of the truck and could see light coming through the bed. There is a seam that runs the entire length of the bed next to the wheel wells. This is where I could see the light. It wasn't the entire length of the seam but was on the other side as well. Does anyone know if they run a tool down this seam to make sure the lining gets down into it? That is the only explanation I can think of. When they ran something down the seam, it cut the bed. If the bed was cracked before application, the lining would have covered it up.

Thoughts?
Sponsored links
Old 07-28-2011, 10:39 PM
erm

hmmm...I know it goes on warm but it's not that warm enough to split metal!

That's a very weird issue.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I agree if it was cracked before it would have been covered. Could have them just spray more over it to cover it up. I can't believe ziebart is still in business haha, that's an old name you don't hear very often! My dad gave me his 1981 F100 that was "ziebarted" in 1981 when he bought it new, it has little yellow disks glued inside the door jamb that say "ziebart lifetime rust warranty" or something like that. Needless to say, it didn't last a lifetime without rusting....but probably did better than from the factory (pittsburgh vehicle driven in snow/salt). We replaced the fenders and hood in the late 90's, now the bed, gate, doors, and maybe cab (at least corners) will need replacing... sorry to get off topic, but brought up a memory lol.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:57 PM

Rep:13
Grumpy is on a distinguished road

Your situation tells me they sprayed your bedliner way to thin. If the bed did have a separation, you would think a bedliner of proper thickness would fill it in.

Why he heck did you get Rhino anyway?
Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Why he heck did you get Rhino anyway?
What's wrong with Rhino?

Old 07-30-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
What's wrong with Rhino?
Older technology, not as strong as other brands. For example, according to the technical data sheets, LINE-X has a 31% higher tear strength, a 53% higher tensile strength, and a 45 degree higher temperature tolerance. In addition, Rhino does not have a product like LINE-X Premium or LINE-X Xtra. Case and Point (as an example): Ever watch storm chasers on TV? In 2010, they had their Dominator vehicle coated with Rhino. It did not last even one season, the Rhino was damaged and peeled off the vehicle. In 2011, they had it coated with LINE-X Premium. It survived the tornado season with no hail damage (no damage at all) and did not peel off. You can find more info at tornadovideos.net
Old 07-30-2011, 01:36 PM

I personally prefer linex jsut from others I've seen, but I've seen rhino jobs that look identical. I saw two shows on tv: one was mythbusters where they blew up a bomb under the bed of a truck without any liner and it shredded it, then same scenario with rhino, and it merely dented it, the other I don't remember what it was but it was about ballistics and they blew up a bomb in a concrete block room and the room was demolished, then same thing with the block wall coated with rhino and it didn't do any damage. I wouldn't say it's a bad product, and it's much cheaper (in my area anyway). I personally only like the base product, none of the extra stuff.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:38 PM

The blast mitigation products are not the same as the bedliner products, that applies to both Rhino and LINE-X. LINE-X was the first to invent a blast mitigation elastomer and LINE-X Paxcon (blast mitigation product) has been applied to portions of the U.S. Pentagon (after 9-11) and Federal Building in New York. In addition, LINE-X Paxcon is currently applied to Force Protection's MRAP vehicle using in Iraq and Afghanistan. Also, LINE-X XS-100 (the bedliner product) has been applied to 50,000 bullet proof jacket plates used by the military. Videos of blast mitigation are at Paxcon.com

MRAP vehicle.

Plate that saved soldier's life is presented to Donald Rumsfeld as a plaque. This appeared in Military Times.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Grey
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
DodgeRamJeremy is on a distinguished road

- Linex

- Rhinolinings -

I wouldn't trust either one - I've got a 5 piece bed liner and I really like it - no risk there!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:03 PM

There's a big difference between the LINE-X vid and the Rhino vid.

In the LINE-X vid, something obviously went wrong in the installation process. There's not enough information to know what happened though. Ordinarily, a LINE-X bedliner cannot be peeled out like that. Actually, no spray-on bedliner of any brand should peel out like that with the proper installation. Things can go wrong, like equipment malfuction that sprays at an incorrect chemical ratio.

The Rhino vid is not unusual. Any bedliner company that uses a topcoat that's not durable enough for truck bedliner can have that problem. Rhino will use automotive paint which looks nice, but can wear down fast.