DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Dark Green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
HangmansJoke is on a distinguished road
Default 46RE Filter question

I have a quick question:
I have been searching for hours for an answer and can't find jack! (Plus, the garages where I live won't lift a finger for you unless you've paid them - buggers!)

Simply: Will a filter/gasket kit that works with a 46RH work with my 46RE?

I know the RH is hydraulic and the RE is electric, but beyond that, I can find no answers as to any other differences they might have.

Walking away from the computer for a while because if I keep searching for the answer to this question, I'm gonna throw my notebook out the damn window!

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this!
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangmansJoke View Post
I have a quick question:
I have been searching for hours for an answer and can't find jack! (Plus, the garages where I live won't lift a finger for you unless you've paid them - buggers!)

Simply: Will a filter/gasket kit that works with a 46RH work with my 46RE?

I know the RH is hydraulic and the RE is electric, but beyond that, I can find no answers as to any other differences they might have.

Walking away from the computer for a while because if I keep searching for the answer to this question, I'm gonna throw my notebook out the damn window!

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this!
Like I said before in the other thread you had made a post on that the 46RE and 46RH are 100% the same expect for the valve body. This means that the filter is the same, the gasket is the same, the intermediate shaft is the same, the output shaft, the forward drum, the reverse drum, the discs and plates, everything but that valve body is the same one is hydraulic controlled and the other uses electronics (solenoids). The case (bell housing) is the same, the case on the 46 series is a A518 case. Note that the A518 case comes in different castings for different motors.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Color: White
Rep:38
White Lightening is on a distinguished road

this ain't a fliter question but how much HP & Torque can these trannys take trucks got a 318 but im going to be building a 408-426 stroker when my tags expire
Old 07-31-2011, 08:33 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightening View Post
this ain't a fliter question but how much HP & Torque can these trannys take trucks got a 318 but im going to be building a 408-426 stroker when my tags expire
The 46 series transmission can withstand up to 600 Ft Lbs of torque, the amount of HP wouldn't matter because it's the torque that would destroy a transmission, but I can tell you if you buy a 46 series and upgrade the number of discs and plates you could actually turn the 46 into a 47 even up to a 48 series which is used in the diesels, however their is a catch if you upgrade the number of plates and discs then you will have to upgrade and possibly machine some other parts to be able to make sure that the end play of the shaft isn't wide, to wide of a play and it won't pan out good once installed and then you will have to rebuild the transmission. The best thing to do is to rebuild the tranny with the same number of plates and discs then replace the bands and upgrade the accumulator piston(s) to the newer billet dual seal teflon piston, it will last longer and has two or three seals as compared to the one seal stock piston. you could also get a transmission shift kit, the 46 hydraulic doesn't have many faults in the manufacture so the shift kit may not actually do anything. Oh I also recommend if you do all this that you use a heavier duty torque converter than the stock but becareful not to get to HD because you could put to much power into the transmission as once and could wear out the friction material much faster. I have a 46rh with 125K miles and it's still running strong no problems or nothing. If you have the OD which you should because the 46 is a 727-A518 OD, rebuild the overdrive, the overdrive dies long before the transmission does thats why if you floor it from like 0 it shifts in out in out before it's even in 2nd gear. If you need a service/rebuild manual I have one I can forward you via email. I use it for reference, if you need part numbers for the individual parts of the transmission I can provide you with that no problem.

Be sure to use a external transmission fluid cooler if you're putting that on a diesel or use it for anything of high torque to high speed, the transmission fluid gets pretty hot. Be sure to replace all seals and gaskets once removed and torque the OD housing to the transmission housing to 25ft lbs and the transmission to the engine at 50 ft lbs. DON'T overtighten because the case is aluminum and you can strip the threads easy. with the cooler line fittings only wrist tight then, you will crack the case like I did if you overtighten them. One thing you could do is to use a NPS TAP straight tap and tap the cooler threads and then buy high performance aluminum straight thread fittings instead so you don't have to worry about cracking anything, it's ok if they strip but once you crack the case it's down hill. the OEM fittings are tappered, it was a fault of the case design but tappered is sealing and straight isn't so thats why them make sealing rings for those custom fittings. any questions just ask me
Old 07-31-2011, 08:57 PM

Thanks ramvan...I just had my 46re rebuilt about 2-3 months ago so its got under 10,000 km's on it ... but have noticed since it was rebuilt im slipping in Reverse only (trans shop says my motor mount is broken it not i looked and checked) and it also feels mushy and it never felt this way when i bought it ... im still trying to figure out whats going on here ... atleast its under warrnety
Old 07-31-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Lightening View Post
Thanks ramvan...I just had my 46re rebuilt about 2-3 months ago so its got under 10,000 km's on it ... but have noticed since it was rebuilt im slipping in Reverse only (trans shop says my motor mount is broken it not i looked and checked) and it also feels mushy and it never felt this way when i bought it ... im still trying to figure out whats going on here ... atleast its under warrnety
If it's slipping in reverse only then you probably need to have the reverse band adjusted. Have the bands adjusted every 12K miles if you tow alot if not then every 30K miles is fine. I would just have the transmission serviced at a different shop because I can tell that the one you visited is ripping you off, just go to a shop have them adjust the bands replaced the filter and gasket and do a fluid flush, be sure that they use ATF+4, watch them use it because many shops will use DEX2 which you can buy at the dollar store, ATF+4 you can't buy at the dollar store considering it's the most expensive of transmission fluids, it's very high grade friction modifier compared to DEX and the rest. I recommend using Valvoline but you can use what ever you want.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:40 PM

since i have a warrenty within north america at any ATRA shop and the dodge dealer is apart of that so im going to take it to them now ... and i have a few friends there that are tech's so i think ill get it done there from now on. mite even send it off to get rid of its not so smooth factory paint ... manager of the bodyshop has been wanting to steal it for its re-spray