DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT BigHorn
Color: Husker Red
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
bigredtruck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorStyles View Post
bigredtruck
funny you say that cause my oil pump is running perfect. Ticking is not only from low oil pressure but other things like worn timing chain slap which is known in 4.7 also worn cam lobes or a really bad lifter cause by sludge that 4.7 build up due to poor Pcv location design. I think you might have low oil pressure in the morning if you hear yours to come up with that possible theory. Oil pressure would be one of the noticeable things you find when you look at the main bearings and mine are clean and normal wear.

Snrusnak: the head seem to have normal wear nothing i see that may cause the rocker arm to fly out. i going to rebuild the motor completely and take measurements and see what has warp or what spike while driving. I rather be sure nothing is warp or crack then just replace and reinstall the "ROCKER". Things are better done right then having to go back and be to late.

I didnt say that now did I?
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2011, 01:48 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge RAM 4.8L 290ci
Trim Level: Quad Cab SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:12
SuperiorStyles is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SuperiorStyles Send a message via Yahoo to SuperiorStyles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredtruck View Post
pinging on a startup is usually just a sign of low oil pressure. notice how it goes away after a few minutes?? bingo! oil pressure up...pinging gone. have a nice day

This is what you wrote which is the oil pump that controls the oil pressure.
So you didn't have to say oil pump to assume that the pump can have a cause in the slow oil pressure. mine jump up right to normal and pressure is right on the dot every time. The crack on the lifter bore must been opening and closing but not completely cracked which made a pinging knock noise. I'm just saying not all 4.7 have the same problem but alot of people do rule out an header exhaust or lifter knock due to sludge or bad oiling system. In my case it was sadly a weak cylinder head.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4WD
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Metallic Graphite
Rep:10
RidgeRock is on a distinguished road

I for one, am sick of hearing about the 4.7 lunching motors because of a ticking noise, and I was recently told by dealer that bolts in the thermstat housing could break-off, because I wanted to replace thermostat! This must be some "JUNK" motor Dodge stuck in the Ram Trucks! I'll be heading off any future problems I may have with this truck by TRADING FOR A DIFFERENT MAKE OF TRUCK, while mine is still running good. Ford or Chevy here I come! I hate to change makers, but if they have this many problems with this motor who's to say the other motors don't have these problems, except for the diesel of course, and I cannot afford a diesel at this time!!

Last edited by RidgeRock; 08-19-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The 4.7L is not a bad engine....often the "sludge problem" you hear about is from extended oil change intervals, not the engines fault. There have been three 4.7L's in my family, none with a single issue, just regular oil changes.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to SuperiorStyles Send a message via Yahoo to SuperiorStyles

mine too every truck engine has their thing if it's not the engine its the trans if not the trans the diff. you can't escape from the problem. I truly like my 4.7 they make good torque and pull hard. They make fun engine when combined with some performance mods and rear gears.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:08 AM

Update #3: Ok at this point i went with a complete Rebuild. I did research for those that have any kind of knocking and it's coming from the top end. I went to a find friends junk yard and we decided to open 9 engines. all 4.7 from 2002 to 2006 with a range of 89,000 miles to 167,000 and we found 6 out of 9 engines with the valve seat hanging from the valve most of the heads were not in any condition to be rebuild due to slight crack between the valve. I called a couple of buddy's of mine at their machine shop and they inform me that Dodge 3.7 4.7 and 2.0 and 2.4 have valve seat problems from factory. They have come accross many heads from dodge with my problem cracked lifter bores due to valve seats putting pressure and not letting the valve close and cause the rocker arm to become loose and fall out or jam it self between the lifter bore or cam. The ticking don't always sound or last after warm up well i recommend to remove the valve cover and take a close look and be sure before it becomes a problem. I decided to get new heads and get the weak designed updated with improve parts and valves seats so the engine was completely rebuild with new parts and bearings. I am not saying all the knocking can come from this problem but atleast your inform that it might. I think It would of been a good idea to feed you what i learned to help you all. I know some of you might agree and some don't but i know many need answers like this one to sleep better at night. Ill keep you inform of what else i do.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

Picture 008.jpg
Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Good info! I'm a little confused....I don't know alot about the overhead cam setup, as far as how the cam actuates the valves....Can you explain where the lifter bores are? I'd think with overhead cam you would only have the cam, some sort of rocker, then the valve.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:52 AM

I did this diagram for you snrusnak. hope you can under stand a little. It's kinda hard to explain with out having you around to show you exactly.

97291847.jpg
Old 08-23-2011, 11:58 AM

So does the rocker(is it still called a rocker in this application?) run across(underneath the cam) from lifter to valve? I think I get it. So is the rocker actually mounted to the head, or is it just loose in there? ....gotta be mounted, right?

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:04 PM

it's mounted under the cam from lifter to valve but it's kinda just hangs there guided from the lifter. The middle of the rocker arm that contacts the cam is a roller.