DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 4.7L Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of
Default Stock piping size?

I have a 2009 Ram with a 4.7L. I got a cherry bomb off of a friend of mine, it is 2.5 inch I/O. I am wondering what the size is of the exhaust piping on the newer 4.7's so I know what adapters and clamps to buy before I start the mod.

Thanks in advance,

Josh.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Sponsored links
Old 04-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure but have read replies here that it's 3" pipe.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:54 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Rep:44
wigbill98 is on a distinguished road

its 3", Just got done with mine about a hour ago...with a straight through muffler going to be a pain in the ass because its a offset coming from the motor to the tail pipe.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm looking into this as well now....so stock is 3" inlet, and 3" outlet? And the outlet is offset from center of muffler? I plan on changing it from the muffler back so that doesn't affect me...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:40 PM
erm

srusnak....check out the Magnaflow website and look for a catback for your year truck. The stock inlet & outlet sizes are listed there for a single in / single out system.

I'd post up the sizes for you except I can't get to that website from work...dang Net Nanny...
Old 08-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

lol thanks maddog. It looks like at the muffler it is a 3" in and i think a 3" out. After looking at alot of info I think I'm going to a new setup from the cats, so I need to know the size at the cats, I believe it is 2.5". Anyone confirm? I know timmy did a setup from the cats...!? I may do a magnaflow Y to a single in/single out magnaflow muffler, but am also considering doing duals into a dual in/dual out magnaflow muffler (the muffler has an x pipe inside it). Either way I will be dumping the tail pipe(s) in front of the rear passenger side tire. I'm not sure which setup would perform better...and if the x pipe muffler would, then would the gains be offset by all the extra pipe/weight.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.