DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
cyrus19 is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 Ram 1500 Lift

Hey guys. Ive been reading on the internet about the Mopar 4 inch lift that Dodge dealerships can do to maintain the warranty. However, the truck Im considering lifting (2011 4WD, 1500 crewcab, 4.7L) is of the "plain jane" category, if that makes sense. Most of the pictures I see on the internet of the lift seem to be applied to the trucks that are of the more expensive type of truck(SLT, Laramie...). My question: How will the lift look on a stripped down model of Ram? Will the lift not be as tall as others? Im obviously looking to add wheels and tires as well(20in and 35s). Thanks for the help!
Sponsored links
Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

They would look good as long as you fill the wheel wells with a great looking set of tires and wheels!

Hi and a warm Carolina welcome to the best RAM ForumZ on the web. How about posting a few photos of your truck? Jump over to the newbie Checkin and say hi!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks for the welcome and reply. I havent made any formal introductions because I do not have a truck yet. Just in talks with a dealership. Thats why Im asking these questions before I buy. I want to make sure I get the look I want. So I just did not know how one of the lesser models would look since they are not as high off the ground stock.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
CHADDER03 is on a distinguished road

your truck should look just fine. but for what your gonna spend on a 4in mopar and havin the dealer install it you might be futher ahead to get a 6in and pay someone private to do it. yes you will loose some steering and suspension warrenty but more then likely you will loose the warrenty on the same components when you put on 35 inch tires. just my 2 cents. ive got a 9 inch lift and 37s and my dealership is pretty good about most things. something to think about
Old 07-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: Dodge ram 2011
Trim Level: sxt
Color: black
micheljones is on a distinguished road

I have a 4 inch mopar lift and 35s on 18s all done by dealership. Thats the only way that they would not cancel the warranty. By the way i have st model crewcab(4x4) and i find it looks good.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:53 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

It seems to be a common misconception that adding a lift to your truck will void the warranty; it won't. What will happen is that your factory warranty won't cover aftermarket suspension parts, but everything on your truck that is original will still be under warranty.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. Im really not sure what I'm going to do yet. The warranty issues seems to dealer dependent from what I've read online. I just don't wan to be on the hook for a burned up tranny that the dealership would blame on bigger tires. All advice is appreciated.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Rep:27
Marine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstater View Post
It seems to be a common misconception that adding a lift to your truck will void the warranty; it won't. What will happen is that your factory warranty won't cover aftermarket suspension parts, but everything on your truck that is original will still be under warranty.
That is a somewhat misleading response...I happen to know that if you lift your truck and put oversize tires on it (i.e. 35's) and you have something go wrong with the tranny, axle shaft, pinion gears, or t-case then all the dealership has to say is the added strain of the larger aftermarket tires caused the failure and it will not be covered under warrantee...I have been lifting vehicles for years. I have run 1 ton axles under jeeps with full long arm welded on suspension to a simple budget boost and body lift.

I will be the first to tell you that you will loose ride quality, loose MPG, and loose power...and risk effecting your warrantee (this is highly dependant on the dealership). If you don't care about the aftermentioned and you want the "look" then go for it!!! I am not against lifting, I drove a Jeep JK 4-dr on 40's and 1 tons and hydrolic ram steering to work for a year and LOVED it...but it rode like a lifted jeep and wandered on the road.

I just wanted you to be sure you knew what you were getting into with a brand new truck...
Old 07-29-2011, 12:30 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine View Post
That is a somewhat misleading response...I happen to know that if you lift your truck and put oversize tires on it (i.e. 35's) and you have something go wrong with the tranny, axle shaft, pinion gears, or t-case then all the dealership has to say is the added strain of the larger aftermarket tires caused the failure and it will not be covered under warrantee...I have been lifting vehicles for years. I have run 1 ton axles under jeeps with full long arm welded on suspension to a simple budget boost and body lift.

I will be the first to tell you that you will loose ride quality, loose MPG, and loose power...and risk effecting your warrantee (this is highly dependant on the dealership). If you don't care about the aftermentioned and you want the "look" then go for it!!! I am not against lifting, I drove a Jeep JK 4-dr on 40's and 1 tons and hydrolic ram steering to work for a year and LOVED it...but it rode like a lifted jeep and wandered on the road.

I just wanted you to be sure you knew what you were getting into with a brand new truck...
Flip side of the coin, I speak from personal experience... I've lifted a number of vehicles and never had a problem with a dealership denying a warranty claim on a factory part, regardless of the cause of failure. I would agree there are dealers out there who will look for any excuse not to honor a warranty, I guess I've just been lucky.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:15 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram CC 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:388
E.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really niceE.L.D. 44 is just really nice

something to keep in mind too is that our stock tires are 33s. I don't think a dealer could make a reasonable claim that going to 35s would affect anything. Besides that, I have bnever heard of them blaming tranny problems and such on tires. I guess it could happen, but that would be the last thing on my mind. to the op, do what you think looks good. When it comes to lift, don't scrimp though. I don't think the mopar one is the way to go, but if you want the warranty go for it. I would get a different lift and make sure you got top notch components and shocks to maintain as much of the stock ride quality as possible...

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87541