DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Forest Green
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
nicslaw is on a distinguished road
Default First Oil Change

So today I wanted to change the oil in my new Ram. Not quite 3000 miles yet, but I wanted to get the Amzoil going. I crawled underneath, released the plug and drained the oil. No problem

Next I move to the front and try to release the oil filter. I now know why the comments were made of the poor location... Anywho... I tried a rag to help get a grip, has always worked before. Problem So I got out my trusty filter wrench.. no dice. Make sure that I am turning the correct direction, get a good bite, and the filter collapsed. Tried the screwdriver poked through the filter, nope, just ended up shredding the filter.

I ended up calling Chrysler who directed me to use the Road Side Assistance program to have the vehicle towed to the dealer (at their cost). Sounds reasonable since it is a Mopar filter, their factory set it in place, they should pay for this one...

Well, after an hour and a half, the wrecker shows up and off we go. Show up to the dealership (which I confirmed was open late this evening) and the service reps start chuckling between them as I tell the story. I explain that the new oil and filter are in the back seat for when they get the old one off. One of them asks the service manager if this will be billed as a regular oil change.... another PROBLEM!!! Manager speaks code to the rep and the gist of the story I get is a reduced charge... STILL A PROBLEM.... As the rep is still working on the paperwork, the manager comes over and says that they see this from time to time with the Mopar filters set from the factory. I asked if they use a torque wrench to install it or suggest they didn't put any oil on the rubber seal... HE says, "Maybe they had the filter in one hand and a joint in the other while they installed it. I wasn't there, so I can't say."

So the rep comes back and asks for signature on the work up sheet. Says that he has to put in an estimate of $15 for the bill but it will likely be less. (I'm thinking this should be free). He asked if I had a ride (he previously watched me ride in with the wrecker). I politely say, "No, this is my only vehicle". He then states, "Well, we are kinda closed right now, so do you have someone that can come pick you up?" I said that I did not have anyone so I guess I'll be walking home (5+ miles). He shrugs his shoulders and finishes his paperwork and hands me the receipt finishing with "We'll be in touch by the end of the day tomorrow if we have to turn this over to the heavy equipment department, otherwise, if we can get it of right away, I'll call you in the morning."

That was a very long walk to think about how to handle this. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the length of this little adventure... still a little steamed.
Sponsored links
Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:11
riggz is on a distinguished road

Wow, no loaner or even an offer to ride home. I would definitely be calling Corporate first thing in the morning....

Sorry to hear about this.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Dodge Service Manager

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Pearl Black
Rep:28
Rutger34 is on a distinguished road

Speaking as a Service Manager, that is totally CRAP. Somebody in my staff would have some serious answering to do if they treated a customer the way that you have been treated. If it were my shop, I would not be billing you any labour and since you supplied all of the parts, there would not be a charge at all. A brand new truck. Things might be different if the truck were older and my shop had never seen it before.

It is stories like this that give all dealerships a bad name. Sorry to hear that your dealer did not step up for you.
Injen Power Flow cold air, Truxedo tonneau cover, 3" carbon fiber antenna, Power locking tailgate, tinted front windows. Mopar sidesteps. 3M covering nose. Billet license plate cover, Blue LED interior lights, fully de badged, EZ down tail gate.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:33 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4X4
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Rep:110
RAMTX will become famous soon enoughRAMTX will become famous soon enough

WTF what kind of Dealership is that!!!!! Call Chrysler and complain about the bad service, they will contact the dealership directly with you on 3 way call. My local dealer gave me my 1st oil change for free, they should give it to you too.

call Chrysler at1-800-423-6343 (1-800-4A-DODGE)

Last edited by RAMTX; 08-01-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

call the corporate office and things have to improve!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Those filters put on by the factory seem to be more than a minor issue

The dealership may be open late, but you can bet that the Service Techs were in sprinting position when the buzzer rang at 6 PM & they don't leave their tool boxes unlocked
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 08-02-2011, 03:34 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:64
Rescue1 will become famous soon enough

I used a snap on oil filter wrench, sort of like the one below. It was a bitch to get off, but it finally gave...
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Geoff/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew 4X4
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:31
11HEM1 is on a distinguished road

That stinks customer service is getting worse sounds like my dealership. I would agree and complain
Old 08-02-2011, 09:25 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:48
datrep is on a distinguished road

I believe my first change filter was a little hard to get off too. I also used one of the wrenches pictured above.

That dealer sucks a big one man. I'm interested to know the outcome of the whole ordeal.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:16 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Outdoorsman
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Forest Green
Rep:15
nicslaw is on a distinguished road

First Update:
Just spoke with a rep @ 1-800-423-6343 (1-800-4A-DODGE). Was told that it is up to the individual dealerships as to how they handle charges and to whether or not they will ALLOW other than their parts to be put on a vehicle. As to the not allowing/recommending a loaner overnight? He simply apologized and suggested that would be something to also take up with dealership management...

So, I call the dealership holding my RAM hostage. They haven't even looked at it yet, however it has been assigned.. The service manager said it would hopefully be resolved by noon. We'll see....

Fortunately, there is another dealership a little further down the road IF the need for service ever rises again.

Last edited by nicslaw; 08-02-2011 at 10:29 AM.