DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew 4x2
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Clifton is on a distinguished road
Default Dual In / Dual Out Muffler - Anyone Running One?

Ive been thinking about going with the Dual In / Dual Out Muffler - cutting the system after the cats, then running dual pipes into a single muffler then out the back through the stock pipes and tips. Im only thinking about a 22"-24" Muffler in either Magnaflow or Pro-Flo.

Is anyone here running this set up? Ive seen lots of threads about replacing the Y-Pipe then going single in dual out, but none on dual/dual mufflers.

Is there a reason why people are not going this route? Is it a back-pressure issue? Will it bother the O2 sensor and throw codes?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

I think it is a pretty tight fit for duals with the gas tank and everything. I think it could be done. I have seen duals back to a muffler then a single out dumped under the bed, so if that works, i bet yours would too
Old 08-04-2011, 07:06 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red Pearl
Rep:743
RedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to beholdRedRam10 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Ive been thinking about going with the Dual In / Dual Out Muffler - cutting the system after the cats, then running dual pipes into a single muffler then out the back through the stock pipes and tips. Im only thinking about a 22"-24" Muffler in either Magnaflow...
I was discussing the same installation with my muffler shop and his only recommendation was to have a cross-over between the muffler and the down pipe to equalize pressure. When I can afford it that's the way I think I'll go.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:25 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

It's easy to add a small H in the front!!!!! Check out Chefred112's setup, it might help you with ideas!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

magnaflow's dual in dual out also has an xpipe inside of it...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:27 PM

If the Muffler has an X inside of it, wont that create enough pressure in the system to keep it from having problems with throwing codes?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:43 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
If the Muffler has an X inside of it, wont that create enough pressure in the system to keep it from having problems with throwing codes?
You won't get any codes from losing pressure. There's a huge myth out there that removing exhaust pressure makes you lose low end, that's not at all true. In some cases, having a smaller exhaust pipe diameter can help increase the gas velocity, helping to scavenge, but really doesn't have to do with pressure. You could cut your entire exhaust off from about 3 feet behind the cats and not get a code. I should also add that the x pipe in magnaflows muffler is not extremely good flowing, but is good.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:50 PM

I went to one muffler shop today and they said they wouldn't recommend getting away from the single in dual out muffler because it would cause codes. Then another muffler shop recommended the exact opposite with cutting after the cats, and running duals into and out of a muffler with an X inside like Flo-Pro.

I hate getting conflicting stories! Then I called the local dealership and talked to the service mgr and he said that anything cats back wont void the warranty, but he couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't effect the O2 Sensor and throw codes...

I dont know who to listen to at this point...
Old 08-04-2011, 11:56 PM

Really, anything behind the cats will have absolutely no effect on codes or warranty....

The first shop just didn't want hard work that's why they told you that (*ssholes). They can very easily swap in a muffler that's nearly a direct fit and still charge you decent money and make a larger profit vs doing all that work for duals. You really won't gain much power or sound with a dual setup or x pipe, maybe AT MOST a couple peak hp, I've seen dynos with y pipe, vs same setup with x pipe, and they are around like 2 peak hp gain, and that could even be in the dyno's error margin or due to temperature (probably really is slightly better though). If you do a y pipe they can reuse your 3" stock pipe and save you money. I'd recommend going with an aftermarket y pipe (magnaflow) and then reusing the stock 3" pipe after that, then doing a single 3" in/dual 2.25" out to connect to the existing stock tailpipes. magnaflow has nice mufflers too, will last forever and perform well, sound good too.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:07 AM

Has anyone used Flo-Pro or DynoMax mufflers? I really like the sound of the Magnaflow, but I havent heard much about theses two. I know I dont like the sound of the flowmaster.

I really think I am going to go the route of duals from cats back into a DI/DO muffler and utilize the factory rear pipes and tips. The shop that I want to do the job seems pretty pricy though. They want $410+Tax ($444). That includes all parts and labor. Does this seem excessive? I know this shop does great custom work, and is one of the best in the DFW metroplex. I dont want to skimp and get shotty work on my expensive new truck, but is it really worth the extra cash?