DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Some very good questions. There are a few benefits and drawbacks to each. From my experience, an oval speaker is capable of some nice midbass due to having more surface area, but the detail in the midrange is quite lacking.

A circular speaker can have more detail, but you have to step up the size in order to gain cone area for the midbass. I make an assumption that aftermarket audio Companies tend to put more emphasis on round speakers also since the majority of automobiles manufactured do use circular speakers instead of ovals. There is a theory about the oval speaker having more stress in the corners due to the shape that causes deflection of the cone. Which would explain the inability to recreate those midrange frequencies, but this theory is yet to be proven.

Components vs. Coaxials... Totally a subjective debate. I do not even consider coaxials when looking for speakers anymore, but that is MY personal preference. I enjoy being able to mount each driver separately, and then aim them for ideal stage / imaging. Others prefer coaxials for ease of installation. Again, pros and cons for each. I can say this though, I've not heard a coaxial yet that can reproduce the same sonic bliss that a set of JL Audio C5-650 or these Morel Hybrid Ovation II can.
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2011, 03:11 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

thats looks like its gonna be a sweet set up bud
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 08-15-2011, 03:25 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:92
KRAZYK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Some very good questions. There are a few benefits and drawbacks to each. From my experience, an oval speaker is capable of some nice midbass due to having more surface area, but the detail in the midrange is quite lacking.

A circular speaker can have more detail, but you have to step up the size in order to gain cone area for the midbass. I make an assumption that aftermarket audio Companies tend to put more emphasis on round speakers also since the majority of automobiles manufactured do use circular speakers instead of ovals. There is a theory about the oval speaker having more stress in the corners due to the shape that causes deflection of the cone. Which would explain the inability to recreate those midrange frequencies, but this theory is yet to be proven.

Components vs. Coaxials... Totally a subjective debate. I do not even consider coaxials when looking for speakers anymore, but that is MY personal preference. I enjoy being able to mount each driver separately, and then aim them for ideal stage / imaging. Others prefer coaxials for ease of installation. Again, pros and cons for each. I can say this though, I've not heard a coaxial yet that can reproduce the same sonic bliss that a set of JL Audio C5-650 or these Morel Hybrid Ovation II can.
Thanks for the info..

Reason I ask is because I feel like my set up is lacking a little midrange.. I dono why but on some songs it sounds like something is missing somewhere. So ive been thinking putting in some round speakers in the front doors and leaving the ovals in the back doors.. or should it be the other way around?
SuperChips FlashPaq | 6000K HIDs Hi/Low | custom DIY intake | CherryBomb Glasspack | Daystar 2.5" Leveling Kit + Bilstein Shocks | 5% tint front and back | smoked tail lights and 3rd light | Pioneer AVH-P3200 2DIN + SIRIUS tuner | Reverse Camera | Kicker ZX700.5 | Kicker S10L5 sub in a FoxBox
Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

Rounds in the front doors, driven by a good aftermarket amp, and ovals in the rear doors driven by the head unit just for fill.

Consider replacing your stock speakers up front. Honest, with a good amp it's amazing!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Rounds in the front doors, driven by a good aftermarket amp, and ovals in the rear doors driven by the head unit just for fill.

Consider replacing your stock speakers up front. Honest, with a good amp it's amazing!
Ive got polk audio 3.5s in the dash, and 4 rockford fosgate 6x9s in the doors, and a 10" L5 all powered by a Kicker 700.5. the dash speakers are running off the head unit.
SuperChips FlashPaq | 6000K HIDs Hi/Low | custom DIY intake | CherryBomb Glasspack | Daystar 2.5" Leveling Kit + Bilstein Shocks | 5% tint front and back | smoked tail lights and 3rd light | Pioneer AVH-P3200 2DIN + SIRIUS tuner | Reverse Camera | Kicker ZX700.5 | Kicker S10L5 sub in a FoxBox
Old 08-15-2011, 06:20 PM

chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... well in my opinion, you may want to try amping the right and left dash speakers in order to pick up some of the midrange.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... well in my opinion, you may want to try amping the right and left dash speakers in order to pick up some of the midrange.
Should I let the rear speakers run off the head unit then? Or would it be ok to run the dash speakers off the same channel as the front doors?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:05 PM

You could wire them with the front door speakers, but keep in mind that will make the amp see a 2-ohm load, and typically doubles the output. Plus if it makes the dash speakers too much, you won't be able to adjust the gains to turn them down.

Since you already have an aftermarket head unit, I would run the front door speakers off the rear outputs of the amp, run the right and left dash speakers off the front outputs of the amp, and then power the rear speakers with the head unit.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
You could wire them with the front door speakers, but keep in mind that will make the amp see a 2-ohm load, and typically doubles the output. Plus if it makes the dash speakers too much, you won't be able to adjust the gains to turn them down.

Since you already have an aftermarket head unit, I would run the front door speakers off the rear outputs of the amp, run the right and left dash speakers off the front outputs of the amp, and then power the rear speakers with the head unit.
Thanks for the help! Sorry for the thread jacking.. cant wait to see your system get all set up
Old 08-16-2011, 01:05 AM

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 sport
Trim Level: Sport crew cab
Color: Flame red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:11
11bigred is on a distinguished road

Looks good so far,you got some nice equipment there.