DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your 4.7L V8?
Love my 4.7 175 44.42%
Kind of wish I went with the 5.7 111 28.17%
REALLY wish I went with the 5.7 80 20.30%
I'm not picky.. 28 7.11%
Voters: 394. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2014, 07:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Date of Manufacture on mine is 12/12.
Just had my truck in last week for updates,only one available on mine was the radio update.
Had mine in for this problem when it was new,was told the tranny shift pattern is normal.
Just for the hell of it i drove another 2013 4.7 shortbox ,and it had the same problem.
If there's an update later then last week,or one my dealer missed,get the numbers on the update,for the rest of us,but as far as i've been told,this is normal
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2014, 11:26 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 4X4 Crew CAb
Trim Level: LoneStar Rambox
Rep:74
ghorn will become famous soon enough

Mine is a 2012, so maybe not the same programming... but in any case, it does not do this.
It does upshift fairly soon when only lightly accelerating....almost as if there is a hesitation... (At first I thought it was maybe a "lean" fuel condition)... but when accelerating modestly it behaves well, and when accelerating aggressively it behaves.... aggressive.
I recently rented a 2014 5.7 and can see why the "hemi" guys love it...but came to the conclusion that my gas mileage would vaporize (pardon the pun) if I'd bought one of those, simply because it was so much fun to "punch it"....even when totally unnecessary.
The reality is that the 5.7 CAN MOVE if you ask it too....but 99.44% of the time the 4.7 has all you really use in everyday driving... and when you need to be more aggressive....then push harder on the pedal and/or use the Tow/Haul mode, and it'll do 99.44% of practically everything the 5.7 engine will do...just not with as much exhilaration.

But back to your 800 RPM thing.... that doesn't sound right and I'd take it back to the dealer for reprogramming. You too Hornet. Just because yours does it too....doesn't make it normal.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: red
Rep:10
mopar76 is on a distinguished road

if the heads up display is incorrect take it back to the dealer. there maybe a trans issue or computer issue. seen it several different types of vehicles and usually it's a computer glitch needs tweaking and or update. Or if your not getting the fuel mileage your suppose to. Also have to consider driving habits. take off. more time on highway or stop and go.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:37 AM

Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

I did the gas pedal reset on mine,the floor the pedal slowly with-in 10 seconds with the key on version,there's a noticable differance in the way it drives.
Also hung a set of shorter 285/60's on the 17 inch rims too,not sure if the 4% shorter tires might of had anything to do with the short shift improvement,but between the 2,the trucks alot nicer to drive.
Riley if you're still having problems with yours,you could try the gas pedal reset trick too,it might not do anything,but it doesn't cost anything to try
Old 04-07-2014, 10:05 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:25
bombadillo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
I did the gas pedal reset on mine,the floor the pedal slowly with-in 10 seconds with the key on version,there's a noticable differance in the way it drives.
Also hung a set of shorter 285/60's on the 17 inch rims too,not sure if the 4% shorter tires might of had anything to do with the short shift improvement,but between the 2,the trucks alot nicer to drive.
Riley if you're still having problems with yours,you could try the gas pedal reset trick too,it might not do anything,but it doesn't cost anything to try

Is there a how-to on the pedal reset? I've never seen this mod yet.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:42 AM

Turn the key to the on position, slowly push the pedal all the way to floor and slowly release it,all with-in 10 seconds,then start the truck and drive it.

I did this on my truck when it was warm.

When i started it,i drove it hard for the first couple minutes.
Not sure if you have to drive them hard,but i figure if you're supposed to be teaching it your driving styles,you might as well drive it like you stole it,while it's learning
Old 04-28-2014, 05:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500
Color: Black
JiveTurkey is on a distinguished road

I really wish my 4.7 had more power! I have done some mods and was wondering if anyone else could help me out with what else i could do to maximize my hp. So for i have a superchip tuner. Along with a cai and a flomaster exhaust all the way through. Probably going to get higher gears next. Also its got a 6" suspension lift with 36" tires. Gas mileage sucks im at about 11 but dont care about that just want more power and to pricey to do an engine swap.

any sugestions????
Old 05-05-2014, 09:50 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

smaller tires... big tires, big lift = decreased acceleration and mpg.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500
Color: Black
JiveTurkey is on a distinguished road

wow never knew that! Obviously thats the case. I was asking what other engine mods i could do since i have a shitty 4.7./
Old 05-06-2014, 06:03 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I was just stating the obvious man...

The 4.7L (especailly 08+ that you have) really isn't under powered. Even the hemi with your setup would feel like a pig. The gearing will help tremendously but you will never get back to how it felt stock, you are still turning 100+ lb wheels/tires on each corner. That's a lot of rotational mass.

You mentioned yours is slow and gets poor mpg. Mine is stock and is "quick" for a big truck, and I get over 20mpg on the hwy. About 16/17 in town. Big wheels/tires really kill performance. Minor mods won't do a whole lot to fix your issue, gears are definitely your best bet. Beyond that I'd suggest looking into a bigger engine and most likely going to a diesel.9

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.