DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1985 Dodge D250 5.9 2WD
Color: Faded Gray
Engine: 1981-1988 360ci (5.9L) LA V8 170hp
Rep:10
MoparGuy86 is on a distinguished road
Default Need help with my gas mileage!!!! VERY BADLY

Ok I'm just about fed up with my truck... To the point I've been looking at trading it in on something else. I'm getting 7.3 MPG out of it, and that is pencil and paper, and the trucks comp. I see everybody else getting like 12-13 and I just don't understand... I would be happy with 10 MPG lol. I have the 5.9 magnum, and a host of stuff done to it... Magnaflow cat, flowmaster super 40 with duel exit, pacesetter headers, Accell Cap Rotor Plugs 8000 Wires and Coil, Superchips programmer, 265/70/17 street tires, stock 3.55 front & rear end, Reman stock heads, New plenum gasket, Spectre CAI, and I think that's it for the info... So if anybody has any ideas.... THEY WOULD BE GREATLY WELCOMED!!!!! Otherwise, I'm about to give up and trade it in for something else.
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2011, 11:00 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparGuy86 View Post
Ok I'm just about fed up with my truck... To the point I've been looking at trading it in on something else. I'm getting 7.3 MPG out of it, and that is pencil and paper, and the trucks comp. I see everybody else getting like 12-13 and I just don't understand... I would be happy with 10 MPG lol. I have the 5.9 magnum, and a host of stuff done to it... Magnaflow cat, flowmaster super 40 with duel exit, pacesetter headers, Accell Cap Rotor Plugs 8000 Wires and Coil, Superchips programmer, 265/70/17 street tires, stock 3.55 front & rear end, Reman stock heads, New plenum gasket, Spectre CAI, and I think that's it for the info... So if anybody has any ideas.... THEY WOULD BE GREATLY WELCOMED!!!!! Otherwise, I'm about to give up and trade it in for something else.
Get rid of that supershit chips stuff. First off the 5.9 out of the factory is a gas hungry mother f... And trying to pump more fuel in to the chamber for more HP then you're going to suffer in MPG. If you want to keep your super MPG sucker then you will need to drop the axle ratio but you won't be able to pull much weight if you go to low. These dodge trucks are only good to mod into performance if you are rich.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 PM

Well that's my problem, I own a lawn care service and pull a trailer all the time... and The superchips is always on either tow mode or gas saver mode, depending on weather im pulling a trailer or not. But either way, I should be getting better than 7 MPG...
Old 08-08-2011, 11:31 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Well that's my problem, I own a lawn care service and pull a trailer all the time... and The superchips is always on either tow mode or gas saver mode, depending on weather im pulling a trailer or not. But either way, I should be getting better than 7 MPG...
Revert the fuel system back to stock, keep the 3.55 Ratio and double dose on some Valvoline Fuel Injector-Intake Valve Cleaner. Also clean the throttle body and IAC valve, you want to have as much air as you can mixed with the fuel cause then it won't have to run rich or lean just right. The super chip things I stay away from those because they don't always do good, obviously you are saying you're getting only 7 MPG, and well I'm not going to lie but that is pitiful. Now I had the 5.9L but in a conversion van and that thing was horrible on gas I mean you put the key in the ignition and the needle would fall out. So try doing what I said and if that does no good then it ends up being limited to what can be done, thing is you don't want to force it to run lean because it will fail trying to tow and you don't want it running rich period.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:59 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie quad cab
Color: red
Rep:52
98redbull2 will become famous soon enough

id have to agree with the superchip. i think a custom tune would do better than the superchip, im not sure where or how to get em but from what ive read on here over time someone else would know.
i cant beleive that 7mpg lol.
my buddys v10 he had not too long ago got about 9 to 10
and i have a different buddy who has the same exact truck as you and is getting 16.5 mpg. YEA i didnt beleive him at first lol. without any mods of course lol.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:50 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Get rid of that supershit chips stuff.
Superchips will not hurt, it is an actual tuner, not just a "chip". It will not dump fuel and make it run rich or anything like that, it will actually help the engine to produce more power and be more efficient. I've never seen anyone with a superchips or diablo sport that got worse gas mileage or anything or that nature...I picked up mpg with my superchips, and all my friends that have used superchips and diablo on their various vehicles all got better mpg. Now with the tow tune I'd expect your mpg to remain the same...Also keep in mind if your pulling a trailer that decreases your mpg, also 4wd decreases your mpg even when not engaged.

Do you have any check engine lights on or anything like that? My first thought when I saw you replaced your cats and the rest of the exhaust was O2 sensors. Did you run the engine at all with with the exhaust off before installing the new exhaust? If you start the engine with the O2 sensors near the end of the exhaust pipe it will ruin the sensors. Also, do you have O2 simulators or anything else similar to this? This could mess with your gas mileage...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:54 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Two other things I'd try are: Maybe try running an oem type spark plug, I've seen instances when just plugs alone will cause poor performance and mpg. also I am not positive but I don't think spectre CAI are actually cold air intakes...if the filter is open to the hot air under the hood this would hurt performance over the stock intake. Need to grab cooler air from outside of the engine bay.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:21 PM

No CEL or anything of that nature. I replaced the O2 sensors along with the rest of the exhaust and never started it untill it was done. No simulators or anything. The only stuff I have is what I listed. And as far as the Superchips goes, I get worse without it!!!! I used to have another 99 about 5 years ago that did get 13-14, That's why this has me so baffled!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
No CEL or anything of that nature. I replaced the O2 sensors along with the rest of the exhaust and never started it untill it was done. No simulators or anything. The only stuff I have is what I listed. And as far as the Superchips goes, I get worse without it!!!! I used to have another 99 about 5 years ago that did get 13-14, That's why this has me so baffled!!!
When you did all these tests and compared them with other vehicles, was the test vehicle towing anything? And what kind of cargo was their?

I am someone interested in why it's killing on MPG as well, I'm thinking somewhere along the lines as a fuel injection issue maybe, or their is some kind of load that is killing. I can tell you that usually larger tires kill alot of things but sometimes they do help. Their is a chart that will give you a result of efficency based on axle ratio, engine size, tire size, and weight, among other variables. I just can't remember where this chart was, I was looking up chrysler TSB's so I will look there if I find it I will give it to you. Anyway's I try to stay away from performance mods, the only mod's I will ever do in terms of performance and duty would have to be done to the transmission. That's the only thing I would mod. But I can tell you that the 5.9L is death on the fuel. I have had a 5.9 and got rid of it because mainly the gas. I drive a 5.2 and it's much better and some people with their 3.9 are happy as pigs in... Because I know they get decent MPG, though not the best in the world. Well anyways if I find the chart I will send it to you.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 PM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

At the very least I'd pull the intake and replace the plenum gasket. Normally when they fail, the truck runs worse and worse. In your case, with the aftermarket stuff may be minimizing some of the usual symptoms, but you can't hide from poor mileage. I have a '93 360 mag 3/4 ton with 4.11 rear and taller than stock rear tires that probably put the final drive into the mid-3's. Haulin' it down I-10 75-80mph and it knocks down a smidgen over 15mpg. Have you reset the computer?