DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-13-2011, 03:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1985 Dodge D250 5.9 2WD
Color: Faded Gray
Engine: 1981-1988 360ci (5.9L) LA V8 170hp
Rep:10
MoparGuy86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen1dak View Post
At the very least I'd pull the intake and replace the plenum gasket. Normally when they fail, the truck runs worse and worse. In your case, with the aftermarket stuff may be minimizing some of the usual symptoms, but you can't hide from poor mileage. I have a '93 360 mag 3/4 ton with 4.11 rear and taller than stock rear tires that probably put the final drive into the mid-3's. Haulin' it down I-10 75-80mph and it knocks down a smidgen over 15mpg. Have you reset the computer?
I don't think I have reset the computer... how do I do that? and i have already replaced that gasket, forgot to mention that earlier.
Sponsored links
Old 08-13-2011, 04:16 AM

Vehicle: 1990 RamCharger
Color: Red
Engine: 1988-1991 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:85
Gen1dak will become famous soon enough

Keep in mind after reset your system will need to run a couple hundred mikes to re-learn the basics, but a reset is sometimes a necessary deal. A computer is reset with the code reader tools, but a shade tree reset can be done by simply pulling the battery cable off for a few minutes (my method of choice). One may also pull both battery cables off, touch together, then re-attach to battery. Either way, the computer will reset to baseline.

Last edited by Gen1dak; 08-13-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QCSB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: RED
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:25
DRAM1500 is on a distinguished road
Default MPG Gains

I saw your thread & I have a 98 Ram 1500 5.9 & I have done tons to it & get 20MPG+ per tank. Here is what you do.

E3 Sparkplugs
MSD Coil & Wires
Air Intake with K&N Filter
Synthetic 5w20 Oil & K&N Filter
Synthetic Tranny Fluid
Synthetic Differential Fluid Change(every 50K)
Remove Motor Fan - Install Electric Fans
Superchips Flashpaq Prog - Set on Mileage XS
Use Hypermiling Techniques - Coast when possible
TBI 1" Spacer
Headers & Dual Exhaust CherryBomb Glasspaqs
New GBH Bearings packed in Synthetic Grease

The two best things from the list is (1) Hypermiling Techniques & the SC Flashpaq Programmer set on Mileage XS

I ABSOLUTELY HATE paying for fuel, here in the Toronto area gas is about $4.40 USD per gallon which hurts like hell when filling up!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QCSB
Color: RED
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:25
DRAM1500 is on a distinguished road
Default Mpg

I forgot to put in I put on a new tensioner pulley & belt, also tire PSI is at 55PSI.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:48 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

is DRAM1500 the same person who posted another thread about achieving like 24mpg or something in city and 30mpg + on hwy.....?

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:38 AM

Well I have an update My mileage has gone from 7.3 to 8.8, and the only thing that have changed is the gas I'm using. Since we moved recently I have quit using QT gas and started using BP, because it is right up the street. I have been reading that their gas is a whole lot better than QT. So that's a heads up for others to try. The other thing is we have gone from low 100 degree temps to mid to low 80's now. The next strep I'm going to take is changing the diff fluids and transfer case fluid. I want to do the trans but I don't want to mess up a working tranny with the way these dodges are lol. So... What fluids do you all suggest I use in the diff's and trans case????
Old 08-19-2011, 02:28 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparGuy86 View Post
Well I have an update My mileage has gone from 7.3 to 8.8, and the only thing that have changed is the gas I'm using. Since we moved recently I have quit using QT gas and started using BP, because it is right up the street. I have been reading that their gas is a whole lot better than QT. So that's a heads up for others to try. The other thing is we have gone from low 100 degree temps to mid to low 80's now. The next strep I'm going to take is changing the diff fluids and transfer case fluid. I want to do the trans but I don't want to mess up a working tranny with the way these dodges are lol. So... What fluids do you all suggest I use in the diff's and trans case????
Well I can only speak for the older transmissions and what I have to say is that they are great transmissions believe it or not, the reason why people have begun to say they suck and a reputation has built up is because of things you are not doing. It's when you don't maintain the transmission does it start acting up also the biggest thing is when you take it to a mechanic and they decide to use Dex or Merc instead of ATF+3/4. So my recommendation to you is to bring it to a good transmission shop and have them flush it and adjust the bands and replace the filter. Make sure they use a rubber gasket instead of cork and never use RTV as it isn't impregnable to ATF. As for fluid recommendations I have always made well with Valvoline I use Valvoline as my transmission fluid, engine oil, gear oil, brake fluid, power steer fluid, fuel inject cleaner, and more... As for filters I just use the standard chrysler oem oil filter as I tried fram and it had a leak and tried wix and all them and they did fine but I figure let me just use the oem it's only a couple dollars more then a fram. As for the transmission filter I buy the transmission filter kit from advanced auto made by Pro King, come with two gaskets for the two different pans. Then for the air filter I just use a fram. But as far as fluids I trust Valvoline my family has and I get excellent results. This is just from my use and my opinion. The only fluid that I use that isn't valvoline right now is the anti freeze because my local autoparts stores don't sell valvoline's antifreeze so I would have to order it online and I figure I change the fluid out every year or so and use distilled water so it should be fine. I do recommend if you need to clean your radiator you can just use that peak flush and cleaner stuff I need two bottles cause of the size of my system but you as well could, I run it with distilled water for a little over a week on off driving, I do that because I'm prone to clogs and had one on the highway and you can guess I did overheat a little but I slowed down and drafted behind a tractor trailer with the heat on high and was able to make it home all 50 miles on E lol... So anyways valvoline does great for me.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 4x4 SLT
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
TerrysRam is on a distinguished road

That's real interesting about the QT gas. That's who I always use too. I've got damn near all the same mods as you minus the Superchips (which I did have but sold). I'm getting 8.5 mpg. I don't drive very far to work so it's not as much a deal breaker for me as you, but I've just be resigned to not being able to get any better with this truck. I had an '01 a few years back and got 10 mpg. I'm of the mind that it's just that damn fuel thirsty 5.9.
Rain-X Latitude wipers; Custom bent Magnaflow catback; Volant CAI - with ram air tubing; EGR Vent visors; Line-X; driving lights behind the grill; Silverstar fog lamps; Silverstar Ultra head lamps; WeatherTech mud flaps; American Tonneau Company tri-fold tonneau; Diablo Sport inTune I-1000 DCX
Old 08-28-2011, 08:02 PM

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 4x4 SLT
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
TerrysRam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAM1500 View Post
I saw your thread & I have a 98 Ram 1500 5.9 & I have done tons to it & get 20MPG+ per tank. Here is what you do.

E3 Sparkplugs
MSD Coil & Wires
Air Intake with K&N Filter
Synthetic 5w20 Oil & K&N Filter
Synthetic Tranny Fluid
Synthetic Differential Fluid Change(every 50K)
Remove Motor Fan - Install Electric Fans
Superchips Flashpaq Prog - Set on Mileage XS
Use Hypermiling Techniques - Coast when possible
TBI 1" Spacer
Headers & Dual Exhaust CherryBomb Glasspaqs
New GBH Bearings packed in Synthetic Grease

The two best things from the list is (1) Hypermiling Techniques & the SC Flashpaq Programmer set on Mileage XS

I ABSOLUTELY HATE paying for fuel, here in the Toronto area gas is about $4.40 USD per gallon which hurts like hell when filling up!
Are you for real? 20mpg? Are you all highway? I'm assuming the electric fan had to make a big difference. Hypermiling? I'm guessing that is the major difference. That's a lot of work when you're driving in order to save some money, but I guess everyone has their own priorities.
Rain-X Latitude wipers; Custom bent Magnaflow catback; Volant CAI - with ram air tubing; EGR Vent visors; Line-X; driving lights behind the grill; Silverstar fog lamps; Silverstar Ultra head lamps; WeatherTech mud flaps; American Tonneau Company tri-fold tonneau; Diablo Sport inTune I-1000 DCX
Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 AM

Well as of today, my wife drove it this weekend about 400 miles round trip. When she got back she told me the truck was getting 11.1, I didn't believe her so I went and looked and sure as shit, it is! The next step I plan on doing is changing all the fluids and switching them to synthetic, But I'm not sure what to run. I have been thinking of using Royal Purple, but i don't know if I want to spend the money on it yet or not. I haven't herd enough good or bad to decided, well besides the guys on tv who get paid to use it, of course they are not going to talk bad about it.