DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500
Trim Level: stx outdoorsman
Color: black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
driggy is on a distinguished road
Default Satellite reception issue

I get a second or two of dead time going under over passes sometimes and I expect it since one section of road I drive has them spaced close together. Lately, I am getting a hickup in reception every 3-5 minutes no matter where I am. It's only a split second, but I am starting to wonder if the radio has an issue.

I've tried different stations, no help, music from the hard drive, works fine, and local stations, the time I tried they had commercials on for 5 minutes straight so switched back. Will try local again ,but wondering if this is common with satellite radio or if anyone else is experiencing it.

New truck, 2011 outdoorsman purchased in November.
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

reception is bad under bridges, large leafy trees, & mountain passes

every once in a while they update the service & it breaks up for a couple days, it happened to me 2 months ago, there was a message on my radio screen
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:79
M n M will become famous soon enough

I'm getting the same thing as driggy. I brought it up to my dealership and the guy told me that they have not received any TSB but that I should contact Sirius and has my radio reset. I didn't call them but I did go to their website and followed the instructions on how to re-send and reset the radio. It has helped some, I still get a moment or two when the signal "hiccups". It's not as bad as it was before. Before I reset it I almost gave up on satellite radio because I couldn't stand the interruptions.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:27 PM
erm

I ran into that problem with satellite radio, too. since the antenna has to be within line of sight of the satellite, you will lose service from time to time. Kinda sucks for us that live in mountainous areas.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: 2009 1500 SLT 4X4
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:81
brokenwrench66 will become famous soon enough

I have the same issue of frequent signal drops and I'm out in farm country with no mountains anywhere close. I have been taking note when it happens to see if there is any pattern but there doesn't seem to be and there's nothing blocking the line of sight.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

with my '99 Chevy i had XM radio & hardly ever had bad reception, BUT my antenna was mounted low by my front drivers side roof post, actually on the windshield, vertically mounted
the Ram has it on the back right side of the roof, horizontally mounted & i lose reception near large leafy trees, mountain passes, & bridges

CB radio waves can be disturbed by SUN SPOTS & other weather conditions
Satellite radio waves only depend how close you are to the satellite & whether you are in line of sight

GPS mapping in engineering depends on the number of satellites in your area, when there are 3 its is great, 2 works almost as well, 1 satellite does not do anything, take a coffee break & wait 20 minutes. There is a definite time pattern while doing it.
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 06-06-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:06 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Water Pearl
Rep:71
latitud will become famous soon enough

I believe they are having issues...there streaming service has been having issues for weeks and weeks...they say its my hardware. Funny that I have only begin to have problems since they have changed their format. I wonder if the serverss are having issues and it is affecting streaming and installed equipment. God knows they wont ever admit to having any issues.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
ffemtroberts is on a distinguished road

fellow RAMmers,

I have a 2011 sport with the RHB radio, and the reception was perfect on sat radio for the first few months. the last 2 months, however, it has become very problematic. Took it to the dealer, and they admit it is an issue. I received the update CD for travel link, and that works great, but the radio still has the reception issues. if any of you have the NAV also, watch the nav screen when the radio drops. NAV drops too, for a couple seconds. I thought it may have been a connection that worked loose, some water that got into the antenna, or something physical, as the dealer said that there was no TSB out for this issue(they also denied the existence of the radio update CD I was holding in my hand!). 3 days ago they called and said that the chrysler tech support team had notified them that there is an update for the radio and would notify me when they received it. When I go back in and they update it, I will find out what TSB it's under and repost for all.

Happy RAMming

Last edited by ffemtroberts; 08-16-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling